Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-208H Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-208H
Icom IC-208H Reviews: 141 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $319.95
Description: 2M / 70cm mobile with 55 watt VHF and 50 watt UHF xmtr. CTCSS/DCS encode and decode, tone scan, detachable and remotable control head, 500 ALPHA-NUMERIC memories, etc

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-208H.

KC4BTU Rating: 4/5 May 14, 2014 10:46 Send this review to a friend
Keying issue  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased an ICOM 208 in 2009 and am extremely pleased with it. I must use it on low power if I am within 30-40 miles of a repeater. I like the fact that I can set a call freq. with the mic. either by up-down scan buttons while driving, imputing via the mic. or using the tuning knob. All useful mobile functions are on the mic. I also receive public service freq.
The only issue it has developed is an intermittent tendency to not release the transmitter when I release the mic. PTT key. I have replaced the mic. and cord. It worked ok for a few weeks, then the same issue arose again. Has anyone else had this issue?

WA0ZZG Rating: 3/5 Apr 24, 2014 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Built like an Avonics Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got one of these at an estate sale about a year ago. It does a great job except for one quirk. This radio looks to have been designed by an avionics engineer in that there is not one single internal adjustment for alignment. Everything is done via the computer from the front panel, EVERYTHING. The quirk is that for no particular reason, an alignment point 'hops'. It changes value on its own.
Otherwise, this radio is exceptional.
It appears that frequency alignment is the most noted but there are others. The AM detector is only something an Avionics engineer would come up with but is does great. It has active temperature compensation in that the CPU monitors the case temperature and alters alignment values to compensate. It has four front ends. All are well designed and tracked tuned by the computer. The 800MHz is not so hot.
Synthizer alignment won't put it right on frequency because the computer moves it in defined steps but it's still possible to get it within 100Hz at 450MHz.
An alignment jig is needed but can be made by cutting a short data network cable in half, stripping the wires and doing a little soldering. The schematic is in the service manual. If ICOM ever figures out why the alignment points hop, this will be an exceptional radio. Dave...

SA3AYF Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2014 01:31 Send this review to a friend
Great rig !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Never mind the so called wobbly knobs (I have not had any problems with this), this is a fantastic radio.

Small in size but packs a lot of punch !

Also, as all Icom, modulation is crisp and sharp.

Since I have had the opportunity to do an A/B -test I can safely say that the front-end of
this radio is MUCH better than the newer and bigger IC-2820 in all aspects,
especially selectivity.

For the prices these radios are currently selling,
buy one ! Forget about FT-7900 etc, this is a far better rig.

Me very happily ;)

NW0LF Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2013 19:32 Send this review to a friend
After 13 years, still strong.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a long overdue follow up. I bought this radio back in 2000 or 2001. Most of it's life it has been mobile. It has been in and out of at least 6 vehicles. It looks a little worse for wear and the mic is a bit sun faded but it is still as strong and awesome sounding as when I bought it. It has always been remote mounted and I am still using the original remote cable. I finally replaced the mic cord as I couldn't get a new RJ-45 connector on that soft cloth like wire. I have no plans on replacing it. Actually, I did replace it--with a Kenwood TM-281 in the house so it could go back in the car.

Tom, NW0LF

K9IKE Rating: 4/5 Dec 9, 2013 15:13 Send this review to a friend
Get One!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've owned both the Icom 207 and the 208. The
Icom 208 is by far the better radio. When used
in a hi rf area the 207 was rendered totally un-
usable. The intermod on 2m was so bad that a very
strong machine was not copyable. That very same
repeater was received with no problem with the
Icom 208. I was also able to test other machines
with no problem whatever using the 208. Also the
distant repeaters in my area that I can keyup
with my Icom 706 ( but cannot hear ) I have no
problem at all hearing with the 208. Programing,
no problem. With great ears, great rejection,
and a very readable display... why not??

WZ3O Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2013 11:10 Send this review to a friend
Nice Dual Band single receive..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Could be a 4.7 so I'll round up...

Just got one used for a good price in very good condition, functionally and cosmetically..

Good size display, love the extra wattage, does what I need without spending hundreds more. Easily programmed with cable that came with, and Chirp, it's free and very functional, use it for my other Icom rigs as well. Need to relearn how to do memory channels from the rig/mic, just in case Hi...

Frequency receive range is quite impressive, as to the Intermod mentioned, I've not experienced it, however not living in a densely populated area, probably get a pass on that.

So as time goes by hopefully I still feel this way...I expect to.

W0FEN Rating: 4/5 Oct 18, 2013 09:50 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 of these radios. I have replaced the Mic cord on both. That is the main reason for the 4 instead of a FIVE. The squelch is designed with a strange behavior. Why reduce the RF gain?? This radio is more susceptible to front end intermod in high RF environments. The radios were bought about 2005. They both are still going strong as I write this. The nitpick is that both only put out 50 Watts on 2M instead of the rated 55 Watts.

K4TIN Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2013 16:55 Send this review to a friend
Negative Reviews....Puzzling  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine about 2003 and placed in my small pickup truck for the long hour-commute to work. After about 5 years, took it out and placed it in my new at the time Yaris. Finally the separation cable got strained and had to be replaced. Later this year it will be entering its second decade of service. I plan to get an FT-857, so perhaps it will go back in the truck.
The little face clips on the visor and has a large, easy to read display. It covers 2 and 440, and receives police and aircraft bands. With the rig under my seat, I have yet to be concerned with fan noise.
With the exception of the dirty mike, the radio looks as good as new.
What's not to like?

N4KJA Rating: 2/5 Dec 13, 2012 07:02 Send this review to a friend
Jumped off frequency  Time owned: more than 12 months
The IC-208H worked well for 13 months. Other than not liking the dual function buttons, that I can't seem to depress the right amount of time, it easy to use.

During an on air conversation the audio stopped being intelligible thru a repeater. I noticed that the mic cable was pulling apart at the connector so I ordered a new one. It made no difference. The mic cords are poor quality.

I shipped it off to the ICOM service center for repair. All they found wrong was that it was -1800 Hz on transmit. For $70 and $14 shipping it was re-calibrated and returned. No hardware problem was identified. I'm concerned that this might happen again.

THEDESERTTORTOISE Rating: 4/5 Jun 13, 2012 13:38 Send this review to a friend
It's a love, hate thing...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really think it's a solid 4. A big 5 on signal and modulation as I always get great reports and comments even when not elicited. A big 3 on menu structure and ease of operation. I hate this menu.. but it works! Size is great and it carries my 30 minute QSO's fine without over heating... It's rugged and should last a long time too... just can't figure out why Icom, Yaesu, and a bunch of others are going to this darn phone industry plug for a mic connection. I will say that it's price is right at the moment as retailers are unloading these at a discount as a close out item. I do like the rig .... well, I kinda hate it too..