Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-208H Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-208H
Icom IC-208H Reviews: 141 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $319.95
Description: 2M / 70cm mobile with 55 watt VHF and 50 watt UHF xmtr. CTCSS/DCS encode and decode, tone scan, detachable and remotable control head, 500 ALPHA-NUMERIC memories, etc

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-208H.

KA7SLC Rating: 2/5 Mar 3, 2010 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Wow, what a Dog from ICOM  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wow, I am really surprised at the rave reviews for this radio. People here sound like they are reviewing the 207, not the wiggly knobbed, cheap wobbly plastic 208. All knobs wiggle and are cheaply made & installed. *Yes I was not able to demo one before I bought it.

The audio output and destortion is really bad. The internal speaker is just like my old 1970 transister radio (literally as bad).

So I bought this radio to remote mount it as it was small...whooppee, it fit, but I'm taking out this 1 month old and replacing it with a Yaesu 7800 I own.

I just cannot believe how far ICOM has fallen since their last cheapie dualband radio 207, which actually was really well made and rugged compared to this new model.

N9OAP Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2010 11:54 Send this review to a friend
excellent dual bander  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for a dual bander with around 50watts output. Tried the Yaesu Ft-7900r, that tanked. Bad transmit audio from the start. So I switched to the Icom 208H. Love this little radio! Programming is easy, power levels are spot on, transmit audio is getting good reports. Like the cooling fan on the back of the radio, it's reasonably quiet. The reciever is very sensitive, it's hooked to a Comet GP-3 dualband antenna and I'm hearing everything in my local area and beyond. I give it a 5, all around good little radio!! Thumbs up ICOM!!!
KD5RHR Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2009 12:15 Send this review to a friend
Great radio, Mic fix  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio fits perfectly in my Prius, the remote head hidden inside the compartment under stereo. The mic on this radio eventually had the same problem as the HM-133 Icom also uses on other radios, I think they use the same microswitch for the PTT. If yours starts working intermittently like mine did, take the cover off and put alcohol on the PTT microswitch, work it a couple dozen times, let it sit overnight and it will work like new.
KB2OXR Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2009 13:58 Send this review to a friend
Good Little Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have a 207 and a 208 and they are both great little rigs . I keep reading about how difficult the 208 is to program , YOU MUST BE JOKING . both the 207 and the 208 are so easy to program .I drive a 18 wheeler and I can program that radio so fast its not even funny . Everything can be done from the mic ON THE FLY .my friend has a Ft 7800r and that thing is just a plain night mare to program if I had bought that thing I would have takin it back the same day .The only thing that bothers me about the 208 is the intermod and to be honest it doesnt really bother me that much at all its only in certin areas and its so little it doesnt matter to me . The fan , is not that loud at all again , it does not bother me at all I dont see what the big deal is . I love both the 208 and 207.I read so many reviews on here and there is so much nit picking , if you want a radio that does everything (including washing your clothes) then buy that radio .If you buy a lower end rig , you get low end features if you buy a high end radio then you get high end fetures , but alot of you even nit pick on the high end rigs .
KD4FUN Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2009 13:25 Send this review to a friend
Great little mobile!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought it new from H.R.O. in February of this year.
Pretty easy to program, loud audio, high power, expanded receive coverage. Mine is mounted in my Ford Truck cab with two other radios and a scanner.
Antenna is a Tram Dual band NMO mount. Does get warm on high power but I rarely use high power anyway.
K2DER Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2009 10:05 Send this review to a friend
NICE!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The radio is user friendly and chock full of features for such a small rig.

And it's POWERFUL too. It puts out 50 watts on 70cm. I don't even see base stations that put out that much on 70cm.

I am giving this radio a 5 out of 5 based on price, features and quality.

This is a solid performer, no problems out of the box. And the chassis is built like a tank.

All functions can be controlled from the mic, which I like.
W4KVW Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2009 22:27 Send this review to a friend
GREAT AGAIN!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I think for the money this rig is GREAT.High power on both bands,EASY to program,operate, & no problem with intermod.I run mine with a Diamond dual band antenna on my DODGE RAM Quad Cab & that small little control head fits really nice onto the mount I made for it.The mike staying connected to the main body is NOT an issue for me either.I do NOT need dual receive in the pickup & it's VERY simple to change bands if & when needed.ANOTHER fine little radio by the fine folks at "ICOM"!

VK3NJP Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2009 06:46 Send this review to a friend
Rock solid rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Can't fault this radio at all. I purchased new in Feb 2008 from a local Icom dealer in Melbourne, Australia.

This rig has a great reputation and now I know why. Although it does get hot after a while, it's a very tough rig and has survived a tough life in my 4WD. Its display is very easy to read and the radio is simple to use - which is handy for using whilst mobile. Soon after buying one, I bought another. They're both working very well - they're a great workhorse rig.
N0YK Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2008 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Dual Bander for the Price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own two of these radios, one in the mobile and the other is a base, both work great. The radio has very good RX and I love the attenuator feature on the squelch for in the mobile. If you look at TX power output for radios in its class, you will find the 208H as the power house, 55 watts on VHF and 50 watts on UHF. Also love the DTMF mic that comes with the radio, backlight and everything. Once you learn your way around with the remote mic, it becomes very handy. A must do like others have said is to set TX narrow mode Off and the microphone gain to High. On my base, I also use this to listen to a local airport traffic on 118.150 AM and also Kansas City Center's RGAC on 125.200 and 269.400, works very well for this. Iím using a Diamond x-300na at 40 feet with LMR-400 coming into the house, works great.

If youíre looking for a mid-priced VHF/UHF radio, this is the one for you.
Overall a great radio for VHF/UHF
KI6PDQ Rating: 4/5 Jul 11, 2008 18:50 Send this review to a friend
You'll like it.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Great mobile/land dual band FM transceiver. Before using the radio you MUST set the TX narrow mode OFF and the microphone gain to HIGH. They don't come as a default from the factory as they should and that's in part why you read some many complains by other users about the audio. ALWAYS ALWAYS cross talk you microphone. Learn how to use the radio before you start saving frequencies into the memory banks that will give you the option (easy way out) of executing a "Full reset" if you mess it up without being affraid of losing your prior savings. I never give a radio a 5.