Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | High Sierra HS-1800/Pro Help

Reviews Summary for High Sierra HS-1800/Pro
High Sierra HS-1800/Pro Reviews: 78 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $300-$500
Description: For General Mobile use. Light weight, high performance and covers entire HF spectrum. Uses new custom Black Hawk motor. Available with semi-automatic control box.
More info: http://www.cq73.com

You can write your own review of the High Sierra HS-1800/Pro.

KW4H Rating: 3/5 Apr 27, 2015 15:14 Send this review to a friend
Works but sometimes very frustrating  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned one of these antennas since 2008 and have used it extensively as a base station antenna, using all the right accessories and mountings recommended and sold by High Sierra. It does work but can be very cranky when it comes to placement and tuning. SWR readings all over the place until you fiddle and then fiddle some more.

The HS-1800/PRO is no longer manufactured. If you find one at a hamfest or swap meet, I'd recommend you pass on it unless you can buy it cheaply and then be prepared to fuss over it for a while until it works right.

N5RTG Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2013 17:16 Send this review to a friend
All the mobile antenna I need  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought it on friend's recommendation six years ago. Installed atop my 25' aluminum-roofed travel trailer on a folding mount. Followed Alan KB0G advice on matching mobile antenna -- replaced the shunt coil and gained 80m perfectly. Now this antenna is 10m to 40m with 6' whip, and 15m to 80m with 8.5' whip. 1:1 on every band, every freq!

I have talked with almost every state and every country in Europe plus Israel, Iceland, So Africa, NZ, Australia, Russia, Japan, Brazil, and on and on. All this on 100 watts with 857d. What else would I need?

Every year I tear it down, clean it, lube threads, reassemble, wax the exterior parts. Exposed to WX constantly, and I use it multi times every week all year. Holding up great.

If you hate yours, email me -- I would buy a fresh one for when I wear this one out. It's a fine antenna setup.

KK8ZZ Rating: 1/5 Mar 12, 2012 18:25 Send this review to a friend
Nice Try  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had both the 1500 and the 1800PRO... neither one lasted long....just didn't hold up in harsh winters, too much corrosion, and the goofy "car trailer" power connectors were so cheap compared to the quality of the Tarheel antenna line... these were great antennas in their time, perhaps, but note that they're no longer made, nor have then been at their usual booth at Dayton for 3 years... I think that says it all. Quality always wins.

N8HE Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2012 16:23 Send this review to a friend
Best mobile anteena I've owned  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After many types of Ham sticks, whips, Hustlers and much money spent I bought a High
Seierra HS-1800 Pro. The Pro beats them all hands down, I run 75 meters mobile mainly and have always found it hard to make a contact barefooted. Not with my pro, been checking into the Breakfast club daily barefooted with my 706 and the pro with very seldom having to holler twice. Just what I always expectected and more from a mobile antenna.

W8LM Rating: 1/5 Sep 21, 2011 21:25 Send this review to a friend
High Sierra VS HI-Q  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Now After 6+ years of mobile operation and over 100,000 miles driving here's my story. My Hi-Sierra 1800 fell apart in 6 months. I found they had a brass strip mounted to an aluminum tube with stainless steel 4-40 screws and it immediately oxidized and failed. Hi-Sierra told me I needed the 1 year maintenance kit and $$$ repairs. I told them the antenna was only 6 months old... "Oh" they replied. When it came back from "warranty repair" I sold it at a hamfest and bought a Hi-Q 3/80- then a Hi-Q 4/80 this month.
Bottom line----
Hi-Sierra 6 months- Hi-Q 6 years and still going.

Why isn't the 1800 listed at High Sierra's web site now? only parts are....

AG4F Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2011 07:05 Send this review to a friend
Great Performer!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got my HS-1800PRO second hand and have now been using it on my pickup truck for several months. The performance is GREAT! My advice for people looking for a screwdriver - follow the installation instructions very, very carefully. Pay particular attention to grounding/bonding - that's what makes the difference between a mobile antenna that performs and one that doesn't. Also, before you install any screwdriver antenna, look Alan Applegate's website, K0BG.com. Read every word on the website, then read it again. This is by far the best source of information on mobile installations I've ever seen. My experience with ordering parts from High Sierra, and with response to email questions has also been excellent. The build quality of this antenna is very solid. I look forward to using this antenna mobile for many years to come.

VE9AA Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2010 17:26 Send this review to a friend
It's a pileup buster  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
No antenna is perfect. If I could give it a 4.75 I probably would, but it doesn't have any major faults at all.

I CONSISTENTLY break small CW pileups on 20m and 40m with this. I usually run the added 2' base, the cap hat and the longer whip. No trouble to work the entire east 1/2 of the USA and Carib on 80m CW...phone is a little tougher. The high bands are a breeze.

Just tonight inside 15 mins,on 40m CW runinng just 50w from my FT-857D while parked waiting for my son, I worked D44AC, VP2V, HA, PJ5 & 7X4AN. . . I called TA7/Kw8M, but he was only 519-529 and likely running some power.

Some small niggling issues are that it came to me (used) and packed with various tapes stuck to it...all when removed peeled the paint/powder coat off very easily.

RF into the motor is rampant (yes, I have installed many many chokes and finally have it to an acceptable level.

The thing is a beast (heavy/unweildy) so mounting it securely is a bit of an issue.

I'll give it a 5, but, again, "4.75" would be more like it.

Wish it tuned 160m...my 2nd favorite band after 6m....if anyone has used theirs on 6m or 160m pse email me and tell me how.

Tnx-Mike VE9AA at RAC -dot- CA

K7GD Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2010 23:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I spent a year researching and planning my mobile install. There are numerous reviews and forums that have strong opinions about three major mobile antenna manufacturers. It was a difficult decision process trying to decipher opinions from fact--very confusing at times. I finally selected the High Sierra 1800 Pro from my short list that included Hi-Q and Tarheel. My radio, by the way, is a Yaesu 857D.

I don't do reviews for products, but felt strongly the High Sierra 1800 Pro works so well that I would make an exception. I will also be doing a review for the 857D.

The antenna and its components arrived well packaged and with all antenna items present. The antenna and its part are made of high quality materials.

Take time to plan your install, cut no corners and follow, exactly, the 1800 Pro instructions and current radio industry standards. I have a newer Toyota Tacoma with a composite bed so it made my install a little more challenging. (There is a photo of my truck and antenna on QRZ) The antenna is mounted to a small section of the metal body on the left rear of my truck bed. Routing wires and coax was actually easier than I thought it would be.

The antenna works well when contacting other stations during appropriate band conditions and like power (100 watts). My best reports have often been 59. SWR is below 2:1. It is enjoyable to hear another station compliment my equipment because of a surprisingly clear and strong signal.

Part of the fun of mobile is to work HF under conditions less desirable than a home install with a traditional antenna. The 1800 Pro gives you the best chance, coupled with a selection of a good radio and your technical radio knowledge, to do your best while working mobile HF.

N5EAT Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2010 20:46 Send this review to a friend
High Quality Work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in a 'restricted' neighborhood and wanted a screwdriver antenna to use as my base antenna. I purchased a package from High Sierra which included the HS-1800, mounting bracket and hardware, and radial wires. I mounted the antenna on a wooden fence post in one corner of the back yard.

I've so far been highly pleased with the performance of the antenna. It hears very well, and based upon the several contacts I've made, it transmits quite well. I've been able to achieve nearly 1:1 SWR on all bands 10-80. No TVI, phone, nor other interference I can find - so my neighbors should not notice when I'm transmitting (hopefully).

The antenna is very well crafted and the mounting bracket design is very nicely done and extremely solid. Shipping was very fast.

I believe when the sunspot cycle gets going I'll be very pleased with my setup.

VK2KC Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2009 01:03 Send this review to a friend
Magic Mobile Signal  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed a HS1800, IC706MIIG, a N2VZ turbo-tuner and for a mike I used a Heil Travellor Headset in the family sedan.
I have just completed a 10,000km trip from one side of Australia to the other and back, and in short I am very impressed and surprised at the performance of the HS1800.
I installed it into my very late model GM sedan, and whilst mounting it took a lot of work and thought, I ended up with a very tidy installation. I took the manufacturers advice and used 1 1/8" copper strap for the earth, ran this from the rear mounted battery to a common point inside of the boot (trunk!). The dilemma I then had was that because of the use of plastics etc, I had to run a 1.5 metre earth from the antenna mount to the common earth point. But for this I used 1/2" crimp terminals and used 8 lengths of tinned stranded copper wire which just fitted in the terminal, I then heat shrunk the entire length of it.
When installed the only problem encountered was that the motor ran in reverse, despite me wiring it up correctly, a simple fix via a DIP switch in the Turbo Tuner fixed that.
Had some problems with RF getting into the vehicles computer but toroids each end of the coax and on the control cables to the front of the car fixed that problem.
Signal reports were outstanding, one operator even questioned whether I was mobile because of the very strong signal.
Overall it is a beauty!