Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | High Sierra HS-1800/Pro Help

Reviews Summary for High Sierra HS-1800/Pro
High Sierra HS-1800/Pro Reviews: 77 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $300-$500
Description: For General Mobile use. Light weight, high performance and covers entire HF spectrum. Uses new custom Black Hawk motor. Available with semi-automatic control box.
More info: http://www.cq73.com

You can write your own review of the High Sierra HS-1800/Pro.

W9WO Rating: 0/5 Jun 10, 2009 15:28 Send this review to a friend
Total Disapointment  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a new HS-1800 Pro at Dayton 2007 after spending at least a half an hour talking with Jim about his antenna. He told me that it was by far the best antenna in it's class. I told him that I was down to two choices. His 1800 pro and a Tarheel 100 HP. Once again he assured me that his is by far a better built and performing antenna and that the Tarheel line was a cheap copy of the High Sierra. Well he convinced me. I bought it, boy did I buy it. After a couple of weeks I installed it on my S-10. It would tune to a 1.5 to 1 or better on all bands except 75/80 meters where best swr achieved was 2.2 to 1. I called High Sierra and spoke with Jim which he immediately told me that all technical assistance would be handled by email at his convenience and that he didn't have time to spend on the phone, no kidding. He was as nice as he could be when he was presenting his sales speech to me. Ok so it's off to the computer to contact their customer support. There I was emailing back and forth for three days answering questions before I got the first real suggestion as to what might be wrong and of course it was always my installation and couldn't possibly be his antenna. I was always very nice in my emails to him but in every response he was always smart with me, questioning my intelligence, my ability to properly install his antenna or something. I always did as he suggested but as expected nothing ever helped. Finally after what I bet to be 40 hours at the keyboard and taking the antenna off the truck, re installing it, doing more checks of various things for him, emailing the results, waiting for his reply, making new shunt coils with various number of turns as suggested, grounding/strapping every panel on the truck and still no change. Finally he issued me a return authorization so I could return it for inspection. Guess what, he could find nothing wrong with it and now more than ever insisted that it was my installation beyond a doubt in his mind. He said that he replaced everything inside of the antenna although nothing was wrong with it. When I got it back I got the exact same swr readings as before. I emailed again with the new information, same as the old and asked would he be willing to replace the antenna with another one and the answer was NO!!! That it was a new antenna inside of the original framework. Well so much for my being nice. A 2.2 swr is not all that substantial except that I bought it with the intention of using an Ameritron ALS-500 amp and mostly on 75 meters. Jim knew this from our lengthy conversation at Dayton. The amp has swr protection and at 2.0 it will kick the amp off as it is designed to do. So my main intentions are no longer possible. His response was that everybody knows that Ameritron products are junk. I ended up buying a LDG AT-100Pro autotuner to use on 75 meters where it did ok but I could only use the radio and 100 watts. I ran this setup for a couple of months and got discouraged and took it off and laid it on the bench for the next year before selling it for half price. Remember the Taeheel model 100-HP that I was considering in the first place. You know the one that was nothing but a cheap copy of the High Sierra. I bought one, installed it exactly as the 1800 Pro, same truck, same location, same mount/ stand off that I had made for the High Sierra. Now with the Tarheel 100HP I can obtain a flat swr on every band. Not a 1.5 or better but perfectly flat and performs works like a dream. Handles the amp just fine. No high swr shut down. It works flawlessly. I couldn't be happier with my mobile station since installing a Tarheel antenna. In fact I bought another one for my F-150 and it to performs great. A friend of mine bought one after seeing how well mine performs and put it on his S-10 and is completely satisfied. In all I have influenced the purchase of five Tarheel antennas to friends of mine. I would not recomend a High Sierra to an enemy of mine. Hope this helps others from making the same, timely, costly error that I did.

VE6AGE Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2009 19:04 Send this review to a friend
Superb Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got it installed on my Ford Ranger. Works great and I would not hesitate to recommend this antenna to anyone who's going to operate mobile.

W3LK Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2008 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 1800Pro is now seven years old and still giving excellent performance. To the poster who couldn't get it to work, virtually ALL of situations like that are the result of an improper installation - generally from the ham being too lazy to read the instructions and do it right.

As for customer support, I have known Jim Heath for several years and have talked to him in person, on the phone and via email on many, many occasions and have never found him condescending.

An outstanding product and an outstanding company to do business with.

KG4DQJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2008 21:28 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Antenna - GREAT support!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my HS-1800 Pro for just over a year now. The antena is built like a tank and is virtually indestructable. Twice now, I've had problems with minor damage to the antenna caused by others trying to occupy the same space! The first time I only needed to replace the weather shield. The second time I ended up with a small dent in the antenna case/tube. The technical support team at High Sierra is responsive and very helpful!

I have the HS-1800 mated up with a Kenwood TS-480SAT. I have the spurs capacity hat attached, and a large spring for those occasional low flying trees. The antenna tunes from 10 Meters all the way down below 80 meters for my MARS work. With a manual up/down switch, I've been able to get SWR of 1.2:1 all the way across the spectrum.

High Sierra has many options for the controller. I have the "K-Box" and it performs flawlessly. It was easy to setup and to operate. It even provides a light at the end of travel so you don't burn up the motor. With the "K-Box" controller, I've been getting great SWR on the higher frequencies and about 2:1 on the lowest frequencies.

I've opted for a homebrew manual tune controller due to better SWR and the ability to use the built-in auto-tuner of the radio for fine tuning once I get the antenna close.

This is a great antenna made by a great company with the best customer support I've experienced since becoming a HAM. You just can't go wrong with this antenna or company!

K5ADF Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2008 14:18 Send this review to a friend
works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I installed this on my ford ranger pickup in the left rear corner of the bed. At first I had problems with it but then learned it has to have a ground strap and not a ground wire. I changed the #6 ground wire for plumbers strap and viola it worked like a champ. Luckily I found some copper strap at the local Lowe's. It works better than my ground mounted 5BTV vertical at my shack. I always get good reports with it.

I have met Jim at Dayton. Yes, I would agree that he does have a habit of talking down to people which is a definite put off at least for me. So I would agree with the previous poster.

I have never called them but have sent email and always received a prompt reply.

ARCH Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2008 14:07 Send this review to a friend
Best Antenna I Ever Used  Time owned: more than 12 months
It is truly a great antenna. If you read and follow the instructions, it will work great for you too. Installation at home or in the car is explained in great detail in the instructions. The instructions are very complete and more than 40 pages of good information. I found that five minutes after I emailed a question to High Sierra, I got a detailed polite and responsive answer from Dan. Terrific antenna that has even better customer service. Buy from High Sierra, you won't regret it. Also, they have a wide range of products. I bought their coax crimping tool and found it to be world class quality.

N1KFC Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2008 13:45 Send this review to a friend
Super High Sierra antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna for several years. It has performed well in snow and hurricanes. Don't leave mobile without it.

W4HMV Rating: 4/5 Nov 16, 2008 19:04 Send this review to a friend
It's A Vertical, afterall  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the HS-1800/Pro ground mounted at the side of my Las Vegas home, with 16 10-foot radials which lay on top of the ground (desert landscaped with rock). I found the assembly and installation to be relatively simple and problem free. Jim's instruction manual, while not overly detailed, is clear where it needs to be clear, in my opinion.

At first though, I wished that the antenna controller would be marked to make it clear which direction the rocker switch makes the antenna extend or retract. I thought the double arrow was confusing, as it would depend on which way you were looking at the switch. But, it didn't take too long to figure out which direction the antenna was moving.

While I cannot say that this antenna works as well as a full sized vertical, (not that I expected it to), such as the Cushcraft R-5 (which I used many years ago), it does work as advertised.

Since I have had it for about two weeks, I have worked a number of US stations as well as a French station operating in a contest the weekend before this one. This past weekend, Nov 15-16, I participated in the ARRL SSB Sweepstakes just for fun. I operated mainly on 20, 40 & 15 meters and using the "search and pounce" method (as much as I could "pounce" with a hundred watts and a vertical), and I was able to work 62 out of the 80 sections, with contacts with the Canadian Maritime Section, the Virgin Islands, Hawaii, Alaska and a total of 43 states. I am not an skilled contester and the bands were not in great shape, either. Although I could not bust through most pile-ups, there were some instances when the called station responded to me on my first call.

So far, I am pretty satisfied with this antenna. It has allowed me to get on the air in a low profile manner, while providing a moderately good to very good performance for a compromise antenna, for a base installation. If I were to start going mobile again, I would definitely consider purchasing either another High Sierra 1800Pro or Sidekick for the car. I consider it to be a quality product. If I could give this antenna a 4.5, I would do that.

M1WML Rating: 3/5 Oct 30, 2008 02:32 Send this review to a friend
TO EXPENSIVE FOR WHAT IT IS..  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
i have used this antenna now for about 12 months off and on.. and has genraly been quite good but now the winter has come here in the uk i don,t think it would servive the uk winter being left on the car.. so it,s been put away till next summer..and at 400+ ($750) for this antenna is a bit expensive to.. but all said a good dx antenna. (next antenna would be a tarheel)

W4WSW Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2008 05:40 Send this review to a friend
Never Had a single problem..  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well despite to the bad experience from others I can say that mine is not that way, I have my HS-1800/Pro for more than 4 years, I have this antenna installed in my house (never mobile) with an elevation of 10 feet from ground in a homemade bracket in one sede of the house.

I use this antenna daily, in All Bands and NEVER Failed, also I put in the antenna a 1-Kilo Watts and work Nice....! SWR always low, so I recommend this antenna 100%, of course make the correct installation and It Will Work...!!

73's de Luis