Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | MFJ-1724B 2 M/70 CM (144-440) Mobile Magmount Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1724B 2 M/70 CM (144-440) Mobile Magmount Antenna
MFJ-1724B 2 M/70 CM (144-440) Mobile Magmount Antenna Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $16.95
Description: Magnet-mount dual-band mobile antenna. 19" length, 9 ft coax w/BNC.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1724B

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1724B 2 M/70 CM (144-440) Mobile Magmount Antenna.

KT4EP Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2014 19:17 Send this review to a friend
Good choice for occasional use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these in 1994 or 1995 and didn't use it for several years. The plastic film had come loose from the magnetic mount but it was still serviceable. Because I had stored it under the rear seat of my truck, I accidentally crushed it from folding the seat down. I bought another antenna yesterday from the local hamfest and I think this antenna is of better quality than the first one. MFJ also threw in an so-239 to bnc connector ( for a handi-talkie ). It's a good antenna for 2 meter/ 440 and the price is right. Get a couple of them for future use.

KJ6WNS Rating: 4/5 Apr 27, 2013 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Not bad for the money.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this antenna to go with my Yaesu FT1900R. It's been mounted either on my Accord or my Odyssey for going on a year, in all weather, and it hangs on tight at 75 mph, even on long blasts through the desert with some serious crosswinds. I have no trouble hitting repeaters all over southern California even on 10 watts with good audio reports. I debated between and finally chose the 1/4 wave antenna instead of the higher-gain MFJ-1728 for two reasons. 1, I didn't want the taller antenna hitting the garage door, and 2, the 1/4 wave covers 70cm instead of 6 meters. I have a dual-band 2 meter/440 HT, and I'm unlikely to ever need 6 meters. The only reasons I rate it a 4 are because the PL259 connector is already separating from the coax outer jacket, and I can't get the SWR under 1.4:1 at 146 mhz as measured with an MFJ259 analyzer. I have no accurate way to check the SWR on 440, but I can hit my local 440 repeater at about 20 miles. Not a deal breaker, though. Bottom line, the antenna works as advertised on both bands, and for 25 bucks at every ham's favorite outlet, it was a pretty good deal.

KJ6MEV Rating: 4/5 Mar 2, 2013 23:09 Send this review to a friend
works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
can't complain. it's cheap with a good magnet.
stays put at high speeds. seems to get into
distant repeaters well despite it's small size
and low price. plastic film on bottom saves wear
and tear on paint. the mag contact area should be cleaned occaasionally to remove abrasive
particles.

ONAIR Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2013 15:31 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this antenna since the mid '90s, when I paid only around $16 for it. Used it in the mobile, and have left it outside on the air conditioner for close to 10 years! Still works excellent.

KI6OSH Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2012 19:39 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is a tremendous value for the money. I don't use 440 here in N. California so can't comment on that but for 2 meters, works great. Very well built and small enough to use on top of my truck and fit in the garage. Can't go wrong buying one of these. Hits repeaters 100 plus miles away.

LANCERGUY585 Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2010 14:16 Send this review to a friend
ITS A BARGAIN!!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use this antenna with a Yaesu ft-1900R. It works great I pick up repeaters 100+ miles away and hit repeaters 50+ miles away. I love the antenna I considered to put one on my house. But then decided not too. Its not a big antenna or a high dollar antenna. But for what I need it for and use it for. Its fantastic. Does a great job and well get one and you will not be disappointed. Cant beat the price either. Very easy to use and setup. I just started in ham and this is a perfect bargain to get into the hobby.

Chris.

KJ6EF Rating: 1/5 Nov 3, 2010 23:32 Send this review to a friend
A Dud on 440  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got this as an emergency antenna for my HT. (My car's many microprocessors don't like QRO VHF/UHF.)

SWR measures 2.1:1 on 440, and 1.7:1 on 2M. This may explain why, using a 3W HT on 440 produces results on local repeaters that are identical to using the HT and the rubber duck _inside the car_!

Coax is cheap and the shielding braid is very poor, and can't be more than 65%.

But, it was "the cheapie", and I most likely got what I paid for.

Annoying, though, the lack of info in the catalog on specs: "Low SWR" and "excellent gain" and "perfect for your...HT" is really stretching it. At least on 440, this thing is a unity gain antenna; the losses in the cheap coax, center loaded whip, and high SWR on 440 make me regret I ever tossed away $26 for it. Next time it's going to be a Comet, Diamond, Larsen, or Hustler. (Probably one the first two, as the last two tend t be a bit overpriced, but we'll see.)

Would not recommend this to anyone thinking about using an HT with it, especially on 440.

K2TV Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2010 06:48 Send this review to a friend
Works great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna for a couple of years and it works well on both 2 meters and 70 CM. It held up well on the car with daily use.

K2IZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2010 13:35 Send this review to a friend
change in rating  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had previously reported that there was a problem with the base assembly, the locking nut had never been installed correctly when it was manufactured, it was "cross threaded", never locked the connector in place and this led to the center conductor breaking off, the antenna never worked to begin with, I put the antenna asided as one of those "one of these days" repair projects. Another ham suggested calling MFJ and reporting the problem, which I did, and to my suprise, even though the antenna was over a year old, they sent me a new base, minus the antenna! In this day and age any manufacturer that does something like that rates an automatic 5! Plus the antenna now works! It has been added to my "go kit" for emergency communication, many thanks to MFJ for customer service that I thought was a thing of the past, it's easy to label it as "Mighty Fine Junk but, when they come through like this I will make sure the rest of the amateur radio community knows about it.

KD0LHM Rating: 4/5 Aug 31, 2010 15:49 Send this review to a friend
used daily  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have this connected to my ht and use it inside daily. i have no problems with it........if I go in the car i bring it with and i dont have any regrets buying it