Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | MFJ-1724B 2 M/70 CM (144-440) Mobile Magmount Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1724B 2 M/70 CM (144-440) Mobile Magmount Antenna
MFJ-1724B 2 M/70 CM (144-440) Mobile Magmount Antenna Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $16.95
Description: Magnet-mount dual-band mobile antenna. 19" length, 9 ft coax w/BNC.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1724B

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1724B 2 M/70 CM (144-440) Mobile Magmount Antenna.

KD0LHM Rating: 4/5 Aug 31, 2010 15:49 Send this review to a friend
used daily  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have this connected to my ht and use it inside daily. i have no problems with it........if I go in the car i bring it with and i dont have any regrets buying it

N3YZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2009 08:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Little Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had to replace an older 5/8 wave whip. Seems to perform as well as the 5/8. Good value.

KI6SRS Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2008 10:49 Send this review to a friend
REASONABLY PRICED  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
it costs 24.95 now but still pretty inexpensive for a mag mount. forgot that i had it on and went in the garage. heard a 'twinging' sound and there it was, just swinging back and forth and still attached to the roof of my suv. as far as performance, well, i cannot complain. i get a full bar everytime. the complementary bnc connector is a plus.

W4BGN Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2007 12:37 Send this review to a friend
BEST...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Nice antenna. Actually out performs my Hustler 5/8 wave on 2 meters.

Coupled with a Yaesu FT7800, I have no problem hitting repeaters 30-50 miles away here in the rolling hills of Kentucky...

Best antenna for 20 dollars I have seen!!!

K9KJM Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2006 00:31 Send this review to a friend
Fair value antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
For 17 bucks, This is a good value antenna.
It is NOT going to compete with the more expensive antennas, But at this price, Complete with a SO-239 to BNC adaptor, Is a great value.
And works good for a temporary fast fix antenna.

KG6POG Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2006 23:05 Send this review to a friend
great for around town  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used this antenna for a few years for driving in town and with in about 50 miles or so of the Big Bear repeater here in Southern California and have never had a problem hitting the repeater even at lower power levels.

KB1MGF Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2005 13:14 Send this review to a friend
Best $17 spent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
They guys at HRO recommended this antenna for my FT-7800 and it has been great. One quirk is that you hear a loud thump when you PTT on 2m from the roof. No complaints on the transmit quality. The thump increases in volume with the wattage, but for the money... well its got character.

AB0UK Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2005 08:18 Send this review to a friend
Gets the Job Done  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My antenna is about six months old and replaced a trunk lid mount that lasted only a month. The lid mount and antenna ran nearly ten times the price of this antenna. At the price it can't be beat. It has served my needs very well. I've very happy with it.

I've had about ten MFJ products around the shack in the last 3+ years and have had good service from them. They are not necessarily built to super high government standards but for the price they have provided good service to me.

Jim, AB0UK

N1ZPP Rating: 2/5 Jun 27, 2005 07:38 Send this review to a friend
Get what you pay for  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had this antenna for just about a year now. About 2 months ago, the antenna started to lose performance, and ultimately went deaf. "Ok, what's going on, this is practically a new antenna!"

After testing various components, I tracked the problem to the magmount base. In the mean-time, I replaced this antenna on my mobile with my old, yet never failing Wilson 5/8 wave 2m magmount.

So, this past weekend, I got around to opening the base on this antenna and the problem was immediately noticed -- the parts inside were corroded and rusted. Obviously, moisture had found it's way in, ruining the components in it's path.

Here's a quick list of the internal components of this antenna base ... stud mount, lock washer, nut, ring connector (coax braid) and a 27pF capacitor (center conductor to stud mount). The solder joints where covered with hot glue... probably to keep these parts from corroding, but it didn't work.

So, I took the whole thing apart ... cleaned everything. Replaced the capacitor and cut back the damaged coax. Cutting the coax revealed MFJ's use of extremely cheap RG-58. RG-58 is lossy enough, without adding more losses by poorly manufactured versions of it!

Once everything was back together, the antenna worked as expected. The thin rubber cover on the base (scratch guard?) is weathered and worn through after less than 1 year in service. Additionally, the whip when screwed onto the stud does not seal properly with the rubber washer ... this is most likely where the moisture got into the base in the first place. Due to this, I'm not able to put this antenna back on the mobile because the whole experience will happen again in short order.

So really, after rebuilding the base mount, I'm keeping this antenna indoors as a backup or portable antenna for those rare occasions when I might need it.

As for MFJ, I generally like their products... I own several MFJ items and have never had problems with any, except for this antenna. After hearing rumors of quality control issues, I'm sure that my particular unit was probably doomed from the factory since the whip doesn't seal tightly. (defective stud mount has plastic center raised about 1-2mm above the stud threads, thus preventing a proper seal on the rubber ring).

AC7CW Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2004 22:35 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great little antenna. It is so unobtrusive that my Camaro still looks good with the antenna mounted in the center of the roof. It out transmitted/received a full size 2m magmount antenna in a test I did with both antennas on the same car. Typically, I would say that a mobile dual band mag mount antenna is not a performance item anyhow, why spend much on it if you can get something that works very well for $17?? Mine has lasted for 7 years with no problems at all.