Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | MFJ-336T Goliath Tri-Mag Mount Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-336T Goliath Tri-Mag Mount
MFJ-336T Goliath Tri-Mag Mount Reviews: 15 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $29.95
Description: The MFJ-336T Goliath Tri-Magnet Mount has three super strong 5-inch magnets bolted to 1/4 inch triangular mount. It has 17 feet of coax cable. CAUTION: Once it's on, it's difficult to get it back off! The MFJ-336T has a 3/8" connector.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-336T

You can write your own review of the MFJ-336T Goliath Tri-Mag Mount.

N1UW Rating: 0/5 Mar 14, 2016 21:23 Send this review to a friend
MFJ Never Fails to Disappoint  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This product was bought new at HRO San Diego. When I returned home I tried to load an antenna and quickly discovered the center conductor was open between the PL-259 and the 8-24 base. I opened the base and found the center conductor was snapped off where it was originally trapped between a washer and the mount.

This is an incredibly badly designed product. We are not talking about a piece of sophisticated piece of electronic equipment. We are talking about a piece of wire and a threaded stud. How complicated is that? Repairing the existing design would only lead to another eventual failure.

Rather than mess with a return and dealing with MFJ's world famous customer support, I simply threw out the supplied coax assembly and homebrewed a pigtail feed on the outside of the mount. It's not as pretty but at least I see the positive connection between my higher quality LMR-240 and the 3/8-24 mount.

For years my shack has been an MFJ-free zone. I gave it once and was reminded why I should have stuck with my guns.

Remember when QST had a code of ethics for advertisers? It looks like Martin Jue bought them out.

W4FSA Rating: 2/5 Aug 21, 2014 04:23 Send this review to a friend
Could be so much better  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having used two 336T's for over 4 years there are serious Pro's and CON'S.

Pro:
Holds tight, never budged on top of F350 with CA2x4SR whacking the occasional low hanging pine bough or Palm in Florida.

CON:
Low Quality construction and Coaxial Cable..
Termination at mount is unacceptable. The poor solder tack of the center conductor to the stud will not last. The ground connection is equally poor.
Zero H2O proofing, the mylar traps moisture between the magnets and metal housing.

Martin, your are a Darn Good Engineer.
A little more attention to detail by your assembly staff and just a very few upgrades would allow you to have a world class mount.

I know as I have rebuilt both of mine with MINIMAL cost.

VA3DBD Rating: 3/5 Feb 9, 2013 21:44 Send this review to a friend
Strong Hold, but rusts  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the MFJ-336 S mount and an MFJ-1432 antenna in the summer of 2010, and they have been on three three vehicles, a car, a mini van, and a small SUV.

The triple magnets are incredibly strong, and hold the antenna firmly in place. In fact they are so strong they prevented the antenna from getting stolen when my two single magnet antennas were.

The connector and the end of the coax (where it is soldered to the connector) are fully enclosed, which is a huge plus here in the snowy north. (there's a knock off of this mount out there where they are fully exposed to the elements)

The only down side I have found is that the casing around the magnets is made of metal. Metal is more likely to scratch the vehicle's paint, (which I've had). And after about two years it started to rust, and now is starting to show rust stains on the roof of my vehicle. This casing should be made of a high strength plastic.

W9CLL Rating: 3/5 Jan 16, 2013 04:20 Send this review to a friend
It works  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
What can I say, it's holding my High Sierra Sidkick just fine so far. I have not gone over 60mph with this setup (work car only) but I have not noticed any issue with it coming loose. I will be replacing it with a Breedlove ball mount this spring.

N6MEJ Rating: 1/5 Sep 24, 2011 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Sloppy Standards  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this mount for a Recent road trip. The price was right and it was a mechanical piece of equipment. No electronics involved. What could go wrong?  Other than tightening the magnets so they wouldn't fall off, all appeared OK. I set it up, attached a twenty meter hamstick and off we go.  Initially all went well.   On the second day of the trip, I find myself transmitting into a dead short.  Nothing on the exterior of the mount presents a problem.  Disassembly reveals center conductor wedged under a washer that is compressed by tightening center shaft.  It had worked it's way free. The braid was fanned out and jammed into a small center ring for grounding.  Properly terminated coax would include solder lugs to assure continuity.  Some modicum of weatherproofing would be expected also. I fixed it and was on my way   Unacceptable, shoddy workmanship. MFJ ought to be ashamed of themselves for putting crap like this on the market.

N3NXD Rating: 3/5 Jul 10, 2011 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Fair  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Got this for Christmas 2010. Came with 1 magnet not mounted to housing. The other 2 were mounted. Nut and bolt, and lockwasher all sealed beneath the mylar. Had to cut mylar and retreive these. Mounted, and put aluminum tape over hole. Workes fine. I should bill MFJ for labor.:(

AB9PM Rating: 3/5 Jul 18, 2010 17:23 Send this review to a friend
fair  Time owned: more than 12 months
It works fine, but it rusts in two years time, and needed repair.

NW9T Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2009 13:31 Send this review to a friend
It Sticks!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only owned this for a few days, but so far so good. No problems holding the Ham Stick 20 meter antenna at highway speeds. The only negative thing I've experienced so far is noise created by wind blowing over the car above 45mph. The combination of the Ham Stick and mount creates a dull whistling sound and I suppose the roof itself is acting like a resonator making it louder inside. It's not so bad that it's annoying, simply noticeable. In my opinion a good alternative to drilling a hole. My SWR of 1.4:1 is acceptable for this type of setup.

KM5TC Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2008 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Strong mag mount  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently purchased this mag mount from AES, works
great, no worries about the antenna coming off.
Once you put it on the trunk, or roof of your
vehicle, it is going to stay. 73's KM5TC

KI4CRA Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2007 13:54 Send this review to a friend
One of the better ones!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had several of the MFJ mag mounts, including the 336T. I have been using their mounts for about 4 yrs. now, and have not had one little problem in all that time. I have used a varity of antennas on them. I've had the Diamond HV-7A, the Tarheel II, hamsticks,etc. My current antenna i s an OPEK H300,(not sure bout the mod#), this antenna covers 40,15,6,2,70cm. and have had NO problems with it. I can attest to the fact that these mounts WILL hold up at highway speeds,70-80 mph. with no problem. It will even stay on during a HURRICANE! We had 4 of em here in Fl. a couple of yrs ago and they went thru the storms just fine.
Get one you wont be sorry, as a matter of fact when I get to Dayton you can bet my first purchase will be one of these babys. I need a new one for my hamsticks, gave the last one I had to a fellow ham who is moving to Va.

73 de Mark AI4HO