Reviews Categories | Specialized Amateur Communication Products | Piexx TS-930E (Digital Board upgrade TS-930uP) Help

Reviews Summary for Piexx TS-930E (Digital Board upgrade TS-930uP)
Piexx TS-930E (Digital Board upgrade TS-930uP) Reviews: 10 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $259
Description: Memory Functions: The PIEXX TS-930 uP upgrade contains quite a bit more non-volatile memory than the original TS-930 processor board. This memory is implemented with eeprom technology, there are no batteries required to maintain the memory. The memory is implemented as follows:

Existing 8 channel rotary switch memory functions have been retained as in the original design.
An additional 99 memory locations have been implemented. These memory locations are accessed with the RIT knob when the RIT function is turned off. The memory channel number is also shown in the RIT display section. The eight rotary switch memory channels are selected when the 99 channel memory is cleared, that is set to 0.
There is a set of band start memory locations that are activated when the operator selects a band via the band select push buttons. With this feature, the operator has the ability to select what frequency is brought up in each band as a function of selecting that band. This band start information is selected by writing to rotary switch memory channel 8 when you are in a valid part of a specific ham band. For example, if the operator has 7.025mHz set on the frequency display, and he writes (MIN) this to memory channel 8 as selected on the memory rotary switch, this frequency, 7.025 mHz will be selected whenever the 7 mHz band switch is depressed.
Two memory locations are set aside for the power up state of VFOA and VFOB. These memory locations are updated, when the operator presses the DISPLAY LOCK switch, with the current contents of these VFOs. If the S-Meter option is installed, the system will save the contents of VFOA and VFOB while powering down.
RS-232 Serial Interface: The PIEXX TS-930 uP upgrade allows the ability for a computer, or other RS-232 serial device to communicate with the transceiver. The communication protocol is implemented as a subset of the protocol implemented on the TS-850 and TS-570 transceivers. Unfortunately, not all of the functions can be implemented because of the manual mode selection of the TS-930. However, basic control of frequency and memory functions are available. In addition, a S-Meter option is available for the PIEXX upgrade uP board. This option allows the computer to read the S-Meter value through the serial interface.

More info: http://www.piexx.com/ts930/ts930.html

You can write your own review of the Piexx TS-930E (Digital Board upgrade TS-930uP).

VK3MH Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2014 19:42 Send this review to a friend
Great upgrade plus some tips  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased a TS930S not working with the intention of restoring it one day and that day did come. The radio exhibited numerous problems, S-Meter was erratic, TX function made the radio squeal etc. so I removed the digital board and reworked the pin throughs as per the service bulletin with little change to the radio.

I thought well it must be voltage issues however if I was going to spend some time on it I may as well fit the Piexx 930SE upgrade as I wanted the computer interface function.

A week had passed since I ordered the Piexx board so I went and checked the PO Box and sure enough it was there, a few nights later I fitted it to the radio and presto everything worked just like that.

There were a few more issues with the radio so I will list what I did in case it is of some assistance:

PSU Fan Not working: It seems the 28v feeding the control cct has dropped to 19v as it has aged, rather than chase the issue I simply did the TS940 fan mod and it was fixed. Changed R12 to 470ohm and R17 to 4.7K on the PSU board, radio runs cool now.

Overvoltage protection: I read a lot on this and noticed my radio had the pass transistors updated at some stage so I though I better do something about it. I simply added 2 TVS diodes (5KP15A) in series across 28B and GND on the PSU board, the stripe to the 28B side. The TVS diode is a 5KW 1000Amp transient spike diode widely used in many applications, I use 2 x 16 volt diodes as that was what I had but a single 32v one would work too. If the pass transistors go the TVS diode will conduct and blow F1 20A fuse and should protect the MRF485 drivers from over voltage.

MEM Switch Defective: I found the memory switch would only select Mem 5 - 8 in the 1 - 4 positions, also many pots were dirty and crackly. I simply dropped the front panel and squirted contact cleaning in all the pots and switches and that resolved the problem.

Meter lamps out: The meter lamps are 28v, I replaced them with 2 x 4mm 12 volt lamps in series.

All that was left to do was a quick alignment which required setting the voltages on the signal board and calibration of power, meter functions and S-meter. I had to do the full cal on the S-Meter to get the range working consistently. It was already reading S9 at 40dbu (50uv) but full scale and S3 were out at 100dbu and 8dbu. I just followed the manuals steps and now the radio works a treat.

I tested the computer interface function with Windows 7 and Ngenlog and it works perfect.

73 Brendan VK3MH

N8WGM Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2014 19:40 Send this review to a friend
Easy instal but you need to know  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a Kenwood TS930 that still works fantastic but I wanted computer control and more memories.

I can't add to what other have said about this upgrade. Well worth the money.

There are things you will need to know though.

You will have to drill out or tap out the mounting holes in the digital board mounting pad. Also, after installing, you probably will have to take it apart again and switch the wires on one of the 4 pin jumper to get the tuning dial turning the right way. But you will not really know if you need to do that until after installing and turning on for the first time.

Installation is easy but it is best to take photos in case you forget where the wires go. There are some cable jacks that can fit on other parts of the board so take a photo first!

I love the added memories, the band edge set up, and the speedier tuning. I especially love the computer control capabilities. I highly recommend the PIEXX upgrade.

KJ4KBC Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2010 09:22 Send this review to a friend
What an up-grade!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently installed this board in my TS-930s.
What a great improvement! very easy to install, just unplug the old board and plug up the new! 99 memories, slow and fast dial tuning and the ability to store 8 starting point frequencies. My 930 had the frequency read-out "stutter and pause" before I installed the board. It now works perfect. A very nice upgrade that will add years to a wonderful older rig!I highly recommend it!
KJ4KBC

KZ5I Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2006 16:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Addition To a Classic Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed the piexx board very quickly. I am not a soldering expert so I was glad for the Piexx Board.

It is like getting a new rig all over again.

Great Job Piexx !!

WB8TNJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2004 01:31 Send this review to a friend
Excellent upgrade  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The TS-930uP upgrade is the best thing that can happen to any TS-930. Installation is fast and simple. Piexx should, however, ensure pins 2 and 3 on J4 are swapped prior to shipping the board. I didn't change mine so the dial tunes backwards. Doesn't take much to get use to. Well worth the price of the board. Terrific job Piexx.

Michael
WB8TNJ

OE6ZH Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2004 03:07 Send this review to a friend
Well done!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This board really adds value to an excellent radio. Mine was in perfect working order, but sitting in a box ever since I inherited from my father in 1987. My license dates back to 1959 and I had not touched a rig or a soldering iron for more than 20 years. So I dreaded to open the cabinet.

Lo and behold, installation was a breeze and as soon as I figured out that the appropriate baud rate for the RS232 port was 4800 the radio and the computer teamed up very smoothly and introduced me to all the excitement of Ham Radio in the age of CAT and logging software, digimodes, DX Clusters and whatnot.

Thanks and congratulations to Chris Sieg at Piexx. Well done!

KI4EKN Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2004 16:09 Send this review to a friend
Very Worthwhile & Easy Mod  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my first TS-930S that had the Piexx upgrade performed by the previous owner. I was very impressed with the modded radio. I found another TS-930S for a good price. What a difference in performance and ease of use between the two radio's! So, I just had to upgrade the 2nd radio. It was very easy, thanks to the clear instructions. This single upgrade makes a great radio even better. Well worth the modest cost.

W2XS Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2004 16:33 Send this review to a friend
99 Memories!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Kenwood TS-930S is one of the best CW radios ever made. The Piexx board adds several modern features like 99 memories, a PC interface, and lower power consumption. The instructions are good, and the board works great with no noticeable RF noise. I broke off one of the mounting standoffs by overtightening it, but had one in the junk box. Be careful when tightening! It's amazing to compare the old Kenwood digital board (with the massive heat sinks on the voltage regulators) to the light-weight replacement board from Piexx with surface-mount components. I hope someone out there has written a nice TS-930S control program that he/she wouldn't mind sharing.

N5OP Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2003 16:11 Send this review to a friend
An Absolute Must!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Anyone who owns a TS-930S knows that it is a wonderful QSK rig for CW and digital modes as well as phone, with a simple user interface. However, in contest use, it's always been problematic because it has no RS-232 interface and none were available.

That last problem, ladies and gentlemen, is a thing of the past! PIEXX has produced a wonderful upgrade to the venerable '930S that gives it a new life. It provides three-speed tuning, enhances the display, adds 99 memories, gets rid of the batteries that live on th eold uP board, and except for the mode, auto tuner selection, and filter selection (all of which are hardware-swicthed) it provides complete computer control of the TS-930S via the TS-850S command set.

This is a must-have upgrade to the radio for just about anyone.

AC7RG Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2003 15:18 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a TS-930sat off of eBay that had the digital board hole through problems. Naturally, the ham that was selling it didn't bother to tell me that this is why he was selling it. Via Dave Leeson, I heard about Piexx making a replacement board for the TS-930. I emailed Dave, W6NL, a great guy, and he confirmed that they did indeed make a modern equivalent of the 930's digital board. I ordered it and immediately my TS-930sat came back to life! No more digital board problems and I have more memory than I could ever imagine. The tuning speed is AWESOME now. Chris at Piexx knows the 930 like the back of his hand and is very very helpful. All around, if you get a early serial number Kenwood TS-930s and the display flickers and beeps and goes off and on, and RIT goes on and off, then this is most likely a cure. Piexx has won my trust and confidence. Thanks, Chris!