Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Pryme Radio Products AL-800 Telescoping HT Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Pryme Radio Products AL-800 Telescoping HT Antenna
Pryme Radio Products AL-800 Telescoping HT Antenna Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $34.95
Description: Telescoping 2M/440 High Gain HT Antenna... 3.2 dB gain 2M / 5.6 dB gain 440 MHz. 50 Ohm impedance and BNC connector.
More info: http://www.pryme.com

You can write your own review of the Pryme Radio Products AL-800 Telescoping HT Antenna.

KF5IBG Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2013 13:40 Send this review to a friend
Great!, but heed my warning.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this antenna for a few weeks now. I've tested it using 2 identical Yaesu FT-60R HTs. With one radio having the AL-800 and the other having the stock Yaesu rubber ducky, the RX signal strength was easily 3X as good as the rubber ducky. I got the help of some other ham to help me compare them with a simplex test. At 6 miles in semi-rural terrain, the rubber ducky could not receive or TX well enough to hear or be heard. But the AL-800 had a very clear signal both ways. This antenna does exactly what Pryme claims it will do and I'm VERY happy with it!

Now a warning: Most of the antennas you will find when you look for one of these are FAKES! They are cheap replicas from china. There's no way to spot the difference until you have it in your hands. I found the fakes selling for $13.50 to about $20.00. Do not buy these or you will be sorry! The real Pryme AL-800 antennas sell for about $35-$38. If you're not paying that much, you're buying a cheap chinese copy which will not perform at all like the real one, and will probably not last long. You have been warned. Stop buying cheap chinese garbage products.

KJ6AIW Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2009 18:55 Send this review to a friend
GREAT antenna, pretty big tho.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Swr is fantastic on both 2m and 440. The little rubber whip that comes with it is worthless. They main telescopic whip however works exceptionally well. Well worth the money, and turns your ht into a decent sounding far reaching station.

KF4FRK Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2008 19:27 Send this review to a friend
Best HT Antenna Period  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Al-800 is my favorite HT antenna. The only time that I could see using something else would be if you were near the repeater or needed something with flexibility (although the rat tail does provide this). If you are in a fringe area or need to kick down the power level to preserve battery power, this antenna is for you.
Too bad this isn't available with an SMA connector, but that would probably make for an unstable mounting to the radio.
Mine is ancient, it is actually an ANLI AL-800.
Out of my cold, dead hands.....

LOSTTOY Rating: 4/5 Jan 21, 2008 00:59 Send this review to a friend
Best HT antenna but for the BNC connector  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna right after I bought my VX7R. Over the last few weeks I got tired of the size and weight of the antenna so I tried to replace it with the Diamond SRH77CA Dual Band (2 m /70 CM) HT Antenna.

Let me give me your a brief overview of how the AL-800 performed. With the AL-800 on the VX7R, I could hit a repeater in Fremont,CA from San Francisco (at least 30 miles) with just 1 watt on the 2 meter band. My signal could be copied clearly. On the freeway from Mountain View CA to SFO, I could hear lots of PDs clearly. Even is SFO, I could hear SJPD clearly. Ofcourse, it helps that I live near Twin Peaks.

Cut to the Diamond SRH77CA that has a 4.4(SMA)/4.9(BNC) rating on eham. I get lots of noise when I am at home and try tuning to the Fremont repeater. On the freeway, I hear nothing but noise.

I know the Diamond is not as long as the AL-800 but the AL-800 easily creams the competition. I really wish they made a SMA version that would natively fit my VX7R. The whole SMA to BNC thing makes me very uncomfortable especially when someone at the local HRO store told me that the SMA connector on their VX7R broke due to the AL-800. For now, I am ordering KC2BHO's SMA to BNC connector and see if that is better than the Yaesu branded one.

And the Diamond is going back to the local HRO store.

KC9GWK Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2007 06:33 Send this review to a friend
Made my first sat contact with this  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Folks,
I bought this antenna after reading the reviews of others. It was under $30 at the local ham store (AES). I already bought the SMA-BNC adaptor listed in an ealier review. Together this antenna fits great on my Yaesu FT60. I followed the directions of others and using this antenna and my HT I made my first satellite contact on the AO-27 bird. That was fun! I will also now be using this antenna for local repeaters when needed.
73 to you all.
Ed

WA4SCA Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2007 05:47 Send this review to a friend
Works great in fringe reception area  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live very near a system of VHF and UHF repeaters, but due to the location of some ridges, I have always gotten spotty reports getting in with a 5 watt HT, even though my reception is excellent. After trying an after market antenna, and even configuring my base station as a TX repeater, I finally tried an AL-800. Problem solved! In fact, now the UHF repeaters are also useful, with a little careful location of the rig.

My HT is 5" tall, and the retracted length of the antenna is 10". It always gets a smile when I put the unit on the table, and then extend the antenna to its full 34" length.

One slight downside to the long length is that it puts some strain on the BNC junction as you wave it around. In my case, there is some very slight give in the connection. Nothing serious, but I was concerned about wear over time. I found an o-ring at the local hardware which was the correct diameter to fit over the BNC jack and provide a bumper between the bottom of the antenna connector and the HT case. It was too thick initially to allow the antenna connector to twist lock, but I was able to convert the o-ring to an o-washer with an emery board.

KB3NDS Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2007 20:11 Send this review to a friend
Awesome - for Sats!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have worked many satellites with this antenna. Works great on cruise ships for working sats and repeaters. Can't be beat.

AA6A Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2006 11:35 Send this review to a friend
Exceptional UHF db gain!  Time owned: more than 12 months

If you need as much UHF/VHF db gain as you can muster from a compact fanny (or back) packable antenna for special purpose use w/ your HT, this is the one to get! You will reach the repeater with this antenna's extendable whip when you're operating out in the back country. Just take care not to bend the telescoping whip.

A great addition to your HT antenna collection; and definitely a special purpose antenna for limited use. Cared for it will last a lifetime.

Very highly recommended.

Very 73,

Rob - AA6A
(Prev AK9G)
(Prev K6RSG)

K9CHP Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2006 16:25 Send this review to a friend
Long but super  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I managed to make quite a few satellite contacts, some of them quite disatant, using a Yeasu VX-2 and this antenna. This setup is perfect for traveling and when I don't want to look like someone just escaped from the luny bin...

And in addition it is an excellent 2m/440 antenna. It sure is easier to lug than my Arrow II, but the Arrow II is still better on satellites.

KD4JXZ Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2005 15:27 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Being the owner of an Icom IC-Q7A, I needed an antenna to get my signal out to some of the distant repeaters in my area. I was very impressed with this product after being able to talk simplex in my front yard to another ham across town on 350ma!! I'm a hiker as well and I have enjoyed using this antenna while hiking as well. Yes, it's big and bulky but if you're going somewhere where you need that extra bit of gain, this one will definitely do the trick!