Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Pryme Radio Products AL-800 Telescoping HT Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Pryme Radio Products AL-800 Telescoping HT Antenna
Pryme Radio Products AL-800 Telescoping HT Antenna Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $34.95
Description: Telescoping 2M/440 High Gain HT Antenna... 3.2 dB gain 2M / 5.6 dB gain 440 MHz. 50 Ohm impedance and BNC connector.
More info: http://www.pryme.com

You can write your own review of the Pryme Radio Products AL-800 Telescoping HT Antenna.

KD4JXZ Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2005 15:27 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Being the owner of an Icom IC-Q7A, I needed an antenna to get my signal out to some of the distant repeaters in my area. I was very impressed with this product after being able to talk simplex in my front yard to another ham across town on 350ma!! I'm a hiker as well and I have enjoyed using this antenna while hiking as well. Yes, it's big and bulky but if you're going somewhere where you need that extra bit of gain, this one will definitely do the trick!

W2KRP Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2005 09:15 Send this review to a friend
It Talks.............  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this antenna a few weeks ago to try out on AO-51 and other LEO sats. My first impression was to return it because there was no way I was going to use it on the VX-7R. This antenna is big and it is heavy. I can see problems in a short time if you are using any SMA radio. Attached, I could already see the stress on the SMA adapter and it moving from the weight of the antenna. I decided to hold on to it and try what K6RSG said below and purchase the BGA-80 adapater from STEPHEN G. GULYAS. The BGA-80 is a must have if you want to use this antenna. The combo of the BGA-80 and the (Mine is also marked ANLI and not PRYME) AL-800 on a HT is an amazing thing. I was able to make a contact from Bayonne, NJ up into Putnam Co., NY. The other person said I was full quieting into the repeater which was 70 miles away. Try that with a stock ducky or an aftermarket antenna.

KG6UAC Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2005 06:23 Send this review to a friend
When you need help with 144/440...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I mainly purchased the AL-800 to work satellites. I figured it was an inexpensive way to increase my gain. However, it has been a great help when it comes to working my local 2m repeater for club nets. I have a Vx-7R, which can be notorious for low audio, with reports of quiet audio. I did get it serviced but I was still receving weak audio reports on 2m even operating at 5 watts. When using the AL-800 my audio reports were much improved.

I've also used it to reach repeaters, which 20+ miles away, which is no small feat in the SF Bay area with it's hills.

Comestically, it looks cool with the black finish and brass trim. I rarely use the rat tail because it's the same length as the stock ducky and is limited in receive capability e.g. AM broadcast.

K6RSG Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2005 20:39 Send this review to a friend
Have had mine over 10 years!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for 10-12 years. The original silver gray backed and clear vinyl packaging sleeve reads: "ANLI Antenna" model AL-800, and specifys 220MHz!

I've taken this antenna on trips intended for use when reaching distant stations or repeaters was going to be an issue. The antenna has spent most of its life in the compact original vinyl sleeve tucked into a backpack, fannypack, pocket, etc., but when needed the exceptional gain on 2m, 440, and 220 have really come through!

In the remote back country, hiking, biking, skiing, and more, it has proven indispensable. It can take 50 Watts of power, and the included rat tail makes the base coil usable w/o the telescoping whip, although I've rarely used it in that configuration.

I've not had problems with the unit and for the reasonable low price I highly recommend it for the GO Bag.

With SMA radios such as my Kenwood TH-F6A HTs the antenna's BNC is converted to SMA with the exceptional one-of-a-kind BGA-80 adapater available only from:

STEPHEN G. GULYAS
706 LALOR ST.
TRENTON, N.J. 08610

His adapter was previewed in the Nov. 2000 Issue of QST magazine and the May 2000 Issue of CQ Magazine. More information about the unique design of the adapter can be seen at:

There is nothing which matches the quality of Stephen's BNC to SMA adapter, and it's unique ability to deal with the forces exerted by longer antennas.

As for comparison antennas, I use the stock Kenwood TH-F6A rubber duck; Maldol MH-610; Pryme RD-98; Diamond SRH320A, and Diamond RH77CA. My primary mobile antenna is the Diamond SG7500 Mobile Antenna and I have used the compartively short Comet SB2 Mobile Antenna. All the above have been used with the HTs.

In summary, the telescoping AL-800 performs more comparably to a full size mobile antenna than any of the above HT antennas.

Very 73
Rob
AK9G
(Previously K6RSG)

KB3GJP Rating: 4/5 Feb 25, 2005 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Great Preformance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I give it a 4 because it does what it is supposed to do. I can tell a big diffrence over a rubber duck. I can hit repeaters with it that I can not hear with a rubber duck. Just two complains.One this is my 5th AL-800. Each one find somehow to break. Also ever one I have had, the black coating rumbs off in your hand.

KG6THI Rating: 4/5 Apr 2, 2004 18:55 Send this review to a friend
Its a good antenna, but not for the rugged user.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an awesome antenna. I use it to hit distant stations and repeaters. The only problem I have with it is that it isn't that sturdy. After a year or so fo use, two telescopic elements came out and I lost the metal contacts on a hike. I've got it jury rigged with tin foil now. This is a great antenna for the average user, but I think it broke to easily. I am planning to purchase another.

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2003 17:45 Send this review to a friend
A Keeper!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have done on-the-air comparison tests by switching the AL-800 with the stock antenna while on simplex contacts. In all cases, the signal quality was improved with the AL-800. Not scientific, but IMHO, it does work! It is NOT an antenna to be used in a crowd, however.

Dennis - KG4RUL

K5LDL Rating: 4/5 Nov 25, 2003 11:58 Send this review to a friend
GREAT HT Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hello Friends,

By now you're probably tired of reading my reviews of so many products. But guess what? My reviews, good or bad, mean you don't waste your money on a piece of junk. The AL-800 is not junk! It is a fantastic antenna for any BNC equipped HT. I use my AL-800 for a few things: Bike rides, parades, back-up antenna to hit that distant repeater.... you get the idea. I've used the other Pryme antennas with great success and have NO complaints. I hear there is a ham working the FM satellites with this antenna.... Go figure. I may just have to follow suit and see what else this antenna can do.

Beware! This antenna is long and heavy. Care should be excercised when using this antenna as it is rather long and its weight can, in the wrong hands, put a bit of stress on your HT's BNC Connector!

Look around for the best prices and you'll not regret it.

73!
Luis KD5KJD

KB1JEC Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2003 23:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Tried supplied rubber duck antenna on my HT... had noise getting into the local repeater about 4-miles away. Put on the AL-800 antenna.. telescoped it out all the way, and full quieting! I don't even need to stand near the window to access the repeater(s) if im in the house, works fine through walls! Had a QSO with someone using a repeater about 50 miles away while sitting at the computer with 2-walls blocking the direction of the repeater! Forget the rat-tail section, im keeping the high-gain antenna on it for good! Excellent antenna and I highly recommend it.