Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Maldol EX-510 6/2/440 mobile antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Maldol EX-510 6/2/440 mobile antenna
Maldol EX-510 6/2/440 mobile antenna Reviews: 15 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $70
Description: 6mtr/2mtr/70cm MOBILE ANT 1/4W 6M,1/2W 2M, 2x5/8W 70CM; GAIN = 2.2dBi 2MTR/5.5dBi 70CM; M-P Connector; Maximum Power Input = 50 Watts; Overall Length = 985mm

You can write your own review of the Maldol EX-510 6/2/440 mobile antenna.

WB1AEX Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2006 18:53 Send this review to a friend
Very Solid Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have mine mounted on an NMO hatch mount at the rear of my Jeep Cherokee Sport. I ran some braid under the set screws of the mount where it clamps to the hatch, and then grounded the braid through a sheet metal screw that was 6 inches away. The EX-510 is just the right size to slide into my garage without clanging against the top of the door. No problem loading up on all three bands right out of the box. Very low SWR on 2 meters and 440. On 6 meters the SWR is 1.4:1 at 52 mhz and it rises slowly upward from there in both directions. I suspect the match would be better if I moved the mount up to the top of the hatch. Currently, only the top half of the antenna extends above the roof line, with the lower half of the antenna in close proximity to the vehicle's body. There are no adjustment directions included with this antenna, so, if you need to make any adjustments, you are on your own. I have no problem working the six local repeaters on 6 meters (all within 50 miles) and performance on the other two bands is exceptional. It also does an excellent job covering the commercial airband and public service frequencies in the 150 mhz and 450-460 mhz bands. It does struggle with the weather band, but that is no big deal for me. I have had nothing but good experiences using it with an FT8900.

Rob WB1AEX

W1KSZ Rating: 1/5 May 30, 2005 08:50 Send this review to a friend
Looks Nice, BUT ...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got one, came with no info on how to adjust it.
Also notice the NMO threads are insufficient (too few) to grab and fully seat on the mount. They did not include a rubber gasket that would alleviate the thread problem. As such, it is NG for my mobile so back it goes.
Anyone know of another manufacturer ??

K9RQ Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2004 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Good performance for the size  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had mine mounted on the tailgate edge, back corner of my Chevy Blazer for a couple of months now. Using a Comet mount and an FT 8900. The EX 510 replaced a short dual band mag mount on the roof of the vehicle. Very satisfied with the Maldol. For a shortened quarter wave on six, it works as expected. Really enjoying the gain on two and especially 440, far better than the short dual bander. And it's 39" length allows me to still fit into the garage without banging it around.
The antenna SWR was very low on all three bands right out of the box.
Word of warning, though. Some have tried this antenna with a mag mount. It WILL NOT work. Use a grounded mount.

KD5GGG Rating: 3/5 Jul 4, 2003 10:28 Send this review to a friend
Poor 6 Meter Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed this antenna on my truck with a new Ft-8900 quad band. Did not need the 10 meter band so I thought this would be a good choice.

The 6 meter is unusable. The SWR is so high the radio shuts itself down almost immediatly.

On 2m and 440 the SWR are 2:1 and 3:1 respectivly.

I will try the above grounding and see if this helps. If not I will seek a different antenna.

As reported above the weather channel reception is poor with this antenna.

VA3WXM Rating: 4/5 Apr 24, 2003 11:48 Send this review to a friend
Works well!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a Yaesu FT-8900R and wanted to take advantage of the extra bands. Since it's mounted in a small SUV antenna height and location is an issue. I don't intend on using 10m FM much so the Maldol EX-510 seemed to fit the bill.

At only 39" long I was able to mount it by the rear corner of the hood on my Saturn VUE and still be able to park in my garage! It is painted black and matches the colour of my VUE. Installation was a breeze once the Comet RS720 mount was oriented properly. After properly grounding the mount to the hood and car frame I used an MFJ analyzer and determined a 2:1 SWR bandwidth of 3 MHz on 6m (52.3 MHz resonant frequency) and better than 2:1 SWR from 144-148 MHz. While I was unable to analyze 70cm, an SWR bridge inserted between the rig and antenna gave < 2:1 SWR from 445-450 MHz.

Performance on 6m is as expected for a shortened 1/4 wave antenna. 2m performance is excellent. 70cm seems to be affected by signal flutter whenever the antenna flexes (due to the higher gain/lower take-off angle).

Out-of-band receive is quite good except for NOAA weatheradio. Initially I hadn't properly grounded the mount and found a 4-5 S-unit drop compared to 1/4 wave 2m whip. After grounding everything the signal strength returned to normal. The EX-510 is DC grounded; perhaps a poor initial ground resulted in a poor signal?

I would recommend the EX-510 to anyone looking for a sleek, easy-to-install, no-tune mobile antenna covering 3 bands. I also use a Maldol EX-104BNMO dual-bander and it survived our harsh winter without missing a beat. Hopefully this bodes well for the EX-510!