Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | AEA MM-3 Morse Machine Help

Reviews Summary for AEA MM-3 Morse Machine
AEA MM-3 Morse Machine Reviews: 17 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $139.95
Description: Memory keyer with training modes (random groups and QSO simulators) and beacon operation.

You can write your own review of the AEA MM-3 Morse Machine.

OK1RP Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2013 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Simply the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
Even although its so old this is the best keyer I ever had.
One of the only few keyers with RTS function available. Look for Your MM-3 on eBay or another flea market and You will never regret...

Early version (black/white keypad) is Made in USA, later version (grey keypad) comes from Hong-Kong) but both can support latest f/w version so then its almost identical.

All can be controlled via PC. It has an RS232 interface to allow it to communicate directly with the serial port on a computer. Also the USB port via a serial to USB converter feature is available. Nice control logging s/w is available thanks to K2PMC!

Memory can be easily expanded up to 128k. Also the current consuption can be lowered with new chipset easily (see Owner manual).

This piece of the art from AEA can not be beated-up by any other keyer currently available on the market.

73 - Petr, OK1RP

N2PCG Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2011 17:17 Send this review to a friend
Looking forward to a Return to CW w/ MM3  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got this keyer from AEA many years ago. It was tremendous for learning cw. Then it was pressed into service as my dx keyer in contests. Absolutely fantastic little piece of equipment. Just dusted it off ad put it through its paces after abt ten yrs on the shelf. Works perfectly... and still holding onto messages programmed into memory banks. Back to cw now!!

W8GND Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2010 12:19 Send this review to a friend
Wondrful MM3 keyer  Time owned: months
I finally located one of these (AEA MM3), and it is all I had remembered. If you need a fancy keyer, this is it.

I got mine free from estate sale, but it is simply amazing to see what this thing will do.

I have also a KK1, by AEA which is even better, but it doesn't like to work with modern computers

Over the years I have had probably 30 keyers, and this is in the top tier. The MFJ with all the red buttons could be near the top, except for the failure of the red buttons!

Hail AEA! I am so happy

73 jerry w8gnd

N0PL Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2009 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of these keyers and I couldn't be happier. I've used a number of different keyers over my 44 years of cw operation and you can't go wrong with the MM-3. I expanded the memory to 128k on each unit. Not because it is needed, but just because you can and the memory is cheap. If you find one for sale, like other reviews have said, jump on it. You will not be sorry.

K2PMC Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2009 17:39 Send this review to a friend
MM3 is still the best.....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been licensed since 1954 and since then I done about 98% of my operating on CW. I've always been on the lookout for new and different things for sending code. I had read a lot about the AEA Morse Machine and one day decided I would try to find one. I finally did find one about 10 years ago on EBay. I must admit that when I first got it I had no idea about its capabilities. When I sat down and read the manual I was amazed at what that little box had inside of it. As the others have said, you can simulate contests, carry on a QSO with it and just do ordinary code practice. It has 3 additional features that were of particular interest to me. First, it has an ASCII to Morse converter. Second, it has a complete command language which can be controlled by a computer. And finally, it has an RS232 interface to allow it to communicate directly with the serial port on a computer, or to the USB port via a serial to USB converter.

The MM3 is very tightly integrated into my station. I have written a keyboard control program to send CW via the MM3. The 8K memory module makes an excellent buffer, so I can type at 50 WPM while only sending at 25 WPM. All MM3 functions are controlled via the computer.

This year I wrote our Field Day logging program which also provided for computer control of the MM3. The guys could develop their own Macros and send their data via function keys,or mouse, or use the keyboard, whichever suited them. They loved it. A couple of them are now actively on the lookout for an MM3. Several years ago I bought another MM3 just in case. We used both of them on Field Day.

I really don't know what more you could put into a keyer that is not already in the MM3. Talk about being years ahead of their time. Well, the guys at AEA sure fit that description.

K7ABV Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2008 12:34 Send this review to a friend
the finest I have used  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 of these keyer's and without them I would be lost, I use them every cw contest and they never miss a letter, unless I mess up my cw, which still happens after 51 years hi..If you can find one buy it, I find them very useful and handy to own..just my 2 cents worth...

G0AZH Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2008 16:17 Send this review to a friend
Worlds Finest Keyer  Time owned: more than 12 months
The MM3 has been out of production for sometime but its unsurpassed performance means it is still ahead of the field for the title of finest Keyer of all time.
The machine is wonderfully over the top. It does everything you can imagine and then some!
I have owned mine since the early nineties. I upgraded the firmware to version 12 when it was released, that added even more facilities. And just for fun I added a 32k RAM chip, so I have a memory capacity of 36500 characters.
Some of my favorite functions are as follows: -

> The RS-232 connection; you can use it to configure the Keyer and make a backup of the configuration. Also you can send keyboard Morse. With the large memory capacity I have dumped large text files in to the memory for Morse practice.
> Simulator mode; when the bands are dead its fun to practice rubberstamp QSOs. If you have a MM3 with EPROM version 12 there is a contest Simulator that is very realistic.
> Transmit delay; this is a great facility to stop the shortening of the first character when using an amplifier. It works by adding a delay between the activation of the PTT output and the CW Keying output.

The best thing about the MM3 is it improves your Morse! So much is written about how your fist is improved by a good quality key, this is very true but people underestimate the improvement in performance that is achieved by a world class Keyer. This is what the MM3 is all about. Operators who own a collection of world-class keys need the worlds finest Keyer to do them justice.

W4RAR Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2008 11:38 Send this review to a friend
way ahead of its time  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned one of these back in mid 80's. I purchased it to increase my code speed to 13wpm so that i could upgrade to General. I credit the MM3 for hooking me on code. I could actually practice qso's without being on the air. This thing was so realistic it would answer to your call could remember your name age etc.I remember the first time I used it sent cq then heard my call coming back I thought I was in the Twilight zone. I wish they still made this I would buy another one. If you can find one in great shape buy it

N4EES Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2008 11:48 Send this review to a friend
A complete CW package  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This thing is amazing for either contest practice or general QSO practice. It also does everything I could ever expect a memory keyer to do. I got lucky and found a nice one, with the manual, on Ebay for $125.

NE4EB Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2007 19:18 Send this review to a friend
I Will Never Let You Go  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been a CW operator for 29 years, and also enjoy CW contesting. I've owned MFJ keyers, Heathkit, and the AEA MM2. I've also used many internal keyers including the one I now own in my Yaesu FT-897D. About five years ago, I made one of the biggest mistakes of my ham radio career. I sold my AEA MM3 in order to free up some cash for another initiative. I had several years of experience with the MM3. What a mistake. After loosing four eBay auctions in a row, I finally won an MM3, and I've been using it now for several weeks. This unit is far and away the best CW machine ever made. It feels so good to have it back. One pops up on eBay every few months, but they are getting rare. Expect to pay $170 to over $300 for one depending on how lucky you are. They average around $225. I was VERY lucky to get one in mint condition with the manual and power supply for $189, but I would have bid $300 on this one if it were necessary. - 73, John NE4EB