Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Steppir Fluidmotion dipole Help

Reviews Summary for Steppir Fluidmotion dipole
Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $479
Description: A remotely adjustale dipole for 20-6 meters. Can be mounted vertically or horizontally.
More info: http://www.steppir.com

You can write your own review of the Steppir Fluidmotion dipole.

W6VZV Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2008 10:43 Send this review to a friend
Superb. Works as advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a fantastic antenna for what it is (i.e. a dipole). I had mine assembled within 45 minutes or less. I hooked it up after erecting it, and it worked precisely the way it is supposed to the very first time. It is great having an antenna that does not need to be manually tuned.

The menus on the Steppir controller are largely very intuitive. I set mine up to receive frequency data from my FT1000MP/Mark V. In conjunction with the (extra accessory) computer cable, it worked the very first time and automatically retunes as I change the VFO frequency. It is just a downright pleasure to put a complicated antenna like this up and have everything work without any hassle.

Performance wise, the Steppir Dipole well outperforms my old wire antenna, possibly because the latter was a fan dipole which experienced no doubt some element interaction. The Steppir is simple and elegant from an installation and use standpoint.

My second contact with the Steppir was with Madrid, Spain, on a day with zero sunspots, so I am quite pleased with the antenna.

There is no dipole antenna that I would prefer over this one. I am extremely satisfied with this product in all respects.

N2OPJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2008 15:30 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this antenna for several years it is absolutely wonderful. SteppIR was great also with a tuning issue due to its location (2nd floor deck of a two family yes I own it) on a ten foot mast mounted on a tripod. I mounted it with an extension on the deck one 2 x 6 for a tripod leg through the railing. Unfortunately a nail let go one day and the antenna was one side struck a railroad tie wall I thought for sure I lost it GREAT NEWS NO DAMAGE!!!!! It was a gift from my son K1VDH for Christmas of 2003 and then did not get erected right away either waited six months to do it. I love it and am considering a vertical from SteppIR also. 73's BUY ONE!!!

W9WHE Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2003 17:57 Send this review to a friend
SUPERB  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Fluid Motion (Stepper) dipole is really just the driven element from their beam antenna. Stepper motors drive copper elements inside fixed fiberglass tubes. The remote controller sits in the shack and permits endless electrical adjustment between 20-6 meters!

For reasons of stealth, I mounted the dipole vertically on my chminey, using chimney straps...and put the US flag on top. The feed point is low, about 27 feet off the ground.

To start with, reguardless of the mounting height or surrounding obstructions, because you can adjust the antenna's electrical length in small increments (from the shack), SWR is no longer an issue!

In compairing the vertical dipole to my inverted Vee...more often than not, DX is about 1 "S" unit stronger on the vertical dipole than the Vee (which is fed about 3 feet higher then the Stepper) although I do see exceptions. On the other hand, US stations most commonly have a higher strength on the Vee...but not allways. I attribute this to the lower angle of the vertical.

I love the idea of being to retract the copper elements during thunder storms!

Because it has no traps, it is **more efficent** than ANY trap or loaded multi-band vertical, which, by my count, is ALL of them. No traps to get wet, burn up, or mistune the SWR. Even if the SWR changes, a push of a button permits you to adjust the electrical length! My SWR is consistently about 1.5:1.

Mounting the dipole vertically eliminates the need for a huge counterpoise system with multiple resonant wires for each band. Also, no need to put lots of copper in the ground with the elevated mounting.

And the best part...When I'm ready to put up a beam...all I need to do is buy one, two or three more elements and the boom, and poof!