Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Yaesu YS-60 Peak-Reading Wattmeter Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu YS-60 Peak-Reading Wattmeter
Yaesu YS-60 Peak-Reading Wattmeter Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $129.99
Description: True peak-reading wattmeter
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/meters/0672.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu YS-60 Peak-Reading Wattmeter.

VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2014 02:32 Send this review to a friend
All yaesu !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Luckily I was able to get one of these units at HAM X amateur radio flea market in Brampton Ontario Canada. Was looking for an Autek WM-1 or Radiocraft 3000 but obviously there were none of those there so I ended up with this little gem. I'm satisfied , it looks good next to all the other Yaesu gear on the desk, most importantly it's what I wanted " true peak reading " power / swr meter. Works great!!!

W9OWO Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2013 06:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for my needs.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up this meter at The Fort Wayne Hamfest for $55. What a deal! I wanted a companion for my FT-857 and I use 6 Meters as well, which this meter handles. Now that I've used it, had I not found this bargain, I would have gladly paid the retail price for a new one if they were still available. Sometimes I can't believe my own luck! Don't pass up a chance to buy one of these dandy little meters.

W4KVW Rating: 4/5 Dec 3, 2012 13:50 Send this review to a friend
Small meter & bulbs blew  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This meter worked GREAT but it was kind of small & the bulb inside blew & was NOT an easy replacement. Replaced the bulb with a white LED.Looks nice as well but think I'll stick with my AUTEK WM-1 & my MFJ-868 "GIANT WATTMETER".

VE7REN Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2011 08:00 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
had one i bought used 2 yrs ago in new shape. works flawlessly with the 756pro3 and 811h. no issues and looks fantastic. tried mfj,diamond,daiwa previous to this,and found this meter to be the best. you can find them used for 60-80 now,and i just aquired another for my ts480 station. these are truly a great meter. i cant understand the other fellow issues with the meter??never had to replace bulbs,etc with these well made meters

KB0GU Rating: 2/5 Mar 1, 2010 01:53 Send this review to a friend
Had higher expectations!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Looks nice, prior reviews are pretty much right on in most points, however, I have two on the work bench that are burned out. The ferrite pick ups inside soldered enclosures are fried and cracked and the unit is a rubics cube to take apart and put back together. I have not found replacement parts, or even specs on them. Have not tried very hard either outside of asking around, they just sit there dissassembled. Have not been able to bring myself to throw them out. One day... I'll get around to them.

K3CN Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2009 20:39 Send this review to a friend
works fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
This meter is great and has been in constant use since 2001. The PEP readings are accurate and dependable. I monitor SWR on my Drake MN 2000 it is easier than switching the meter back. I find it very useful when tuning up my amps to full output and monitoring while operating. The lamps have burned out a year ago but I have no plans on replacing them. With the light in the shack I have no problems reading it. With a lot of years and almost daily use it has been very durable for my use. I have run linear amps at 600W and 1KW with no problems. I would buy it again if needed.

NL7FK Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2006 19:27 Send this review to a friend
Yaesu got it right with this meter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my meter is line now for years and in line is where it is going to stay. I love the weight of this little meter. It stays put when you use RG8 coax, and the PEP function is right on. I checked the readings with my Coxial Dynamics meter and there is not a watts worth of difference. The swr is right on with my antenna analyzer and has been stable for over three years of use.
I love the backlit feature and I get my power from my radio so when I power down my rig the meter powers down as well. This my be why my lights have not burned out..
I use the meter in all modes including RTTY, PSK-31,and CW. In the digital modes I do not run more than 400 to 500 watts and not for any extended amounts of time. I have run legal limit on SSB with no problems what so ever.
I hated to see Yaesu get out of the meter business because they hit the mark with this little gem.
One can still find this meter at hamfest and online. If you see one you had better jump on it quick because if someone who knows what this meter can do sees it you can rest assured it will be gone. Do not snooze when you get the oppoprtunity to get one of these little meters because you will surely loose out..
Would I purchase another one? You bet I would...

OE3SGU Rating: 4/5 Oct 15, 2006 10:10 Send this review to a friend
Good but could be better  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine worked ok with 800 watts maximum, but I found out that on this rating it was not accurate, but which needle meter in this price range is? I remember that I liked the design and the simpleness of the unit and its very compact case. I dont know if they are still available, but I would buy again.

K7NG Rating: 3/5 Feb 13, 2006 07:21 Send this review to a friend
Fair to mediocre  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have toted my YS-60 here and there in portable and mobile setups for a long time, as well as using it in fixed station installations. I found that the CW forward power readings are quite close to those seen on a calibrated commercial dummy load/wattmeter with errors greatest between 16 and 22 MHz, still within about 3 to 5 percent. The peak power readings are at least in the ballpark above 3 MHz. I do not trust the meter VSWR readings however. I discovered that it is very inaccurate on 17M at all power levels, and the meter shows different VSWR indications depending on incident power across most of the HF range. It shows different numbers depending on RF on the coax shield and grounding, dependent on frequency. I choked the input and output coax right next to the meter with ferrite blocks and caused widely different VSWR readings, some became more accurate, some less - compared to a commercial meter and directional coupler. Grounding the meter case at the coax connectors also caused a change in readings, again some more and some less accurate. Doing both did not improve the confidence of the readings overall. In other words, trust the power readings and be cautious of what you read for VSWR. This said, I will keep my YS-60 and use it where it works best.
73, K7NG

VA7ACA Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2004 17:50 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought mine used and it works as advertised. I use it with my FT817, so its used in a low power mode. Not much to add other than its accurate and it works for my application.