Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM-3530A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM-3530A
Kenwood TM-3530A Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$300
Description: 220 MHz FM transceiver made by Kenwood in the mid to late 80's.
More info: http://None

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM-3530A.

N2MDV Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2017 21:02 Send this review to a friend
Great full featured FM 222MHz rig, even today!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was at the 1993 Elmira Winter Hamfest and had seen that a friend of mine had this 222MHz rig for sale. Since Elmira, NY has two 222MHz machines, I bought it. I made my own 1/4-wave GND plane for it and was able to work the area's two 222MHz machines. I got to be a trustie later of the 223.980-/R NR2P machine. (Still up at 2017.) The rig will do over 30W and has a nice big heatsink to take it. Don't have to worry about the added expense of a DTMF mic since the rig has a DTMF front faced keypad built on. NICE!!!! Programming is the Kenwood easiness and it does include all the CTCSS tones. Not every 2M rig from the mid to late 1980's had that even. This rig still works 25 years later since I bought it, and it's a keeper. Now, going on 30 years. Good Kenwood RX / TX audio quality with it as well. If I see the 2M, or 440MHz, version of this rig, I would be very tempted to buy it, whether I need it today, or not.

AA1PR Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2012 19:25 Send this review to a friend
Best of the Best  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Wish I had never sold mine

it was very easy to use & program

loved the sound of a reciever like only Knwd can do

KC4CP Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2006 15:34 Send this review to a friend
WOULD BUY IT TODAY!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a couple of these in the early 90s. I loved them. Sadly, over the years, I sold them both. I would love to find a mint one for the shack. They are really too big for mobile ... but they make an impressive shack rig. Simply put, if Kenwood reintroduced this radio ... I WOULD BUY IT TODAY!

K6USI Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2004 19:14 Send this review to a friend
I am very happy with mine  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a 220 radio
I bought mine new about 10 years ago and installed their accessory PL board. It worked right out of the box and has been working ever since. I would not sell mine. It is easy to use but you will need the manual to get started.

Kenwood also makes a radio like this for 2 meters. I never owned one, but understand they are very good also.

KG6NIE Rating: 4/5 Jun 2, 2003 15:19 Send this review to a friend
Good older Kenwood 220 rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the radio from another ham for $100 bucks, and so far I am pleased. The radio is an older rig,(probably late 80's I think) but is still halfway modern looking. It has a large digital lcd display, which along with the other controls/keys is backlit in an easy on the eyes green. I like it(to much amber these days). You can also turn off the backlite for the keys seperate from the display. The rig is a little larger than the current mobile rigs out today,(about the size of a Cobra 29 CB) so consider that when thinking of running it mobile like I do. That said, the radio is built solid, they don't make them like this anymore.

The radio is pretty easy to program and use, though you might need the manual a bit until your used to it(as it programs a little different than the current Kenwoods). It has built in ctcss encode, selectable from the display, and storable in any of it's 23 memory channels. 23 channels isn't a lot by today's standards, but it will get you by, at least on 220. The rig will from TX 225 mhz down to 220 mhz by the way... The radio also has a numbers keypad on the face of the radio for direct frequency entry, and DTMF, even if you don't have a DTMF mic(mine came with the MC-48 DTMF mic however).

I have gotten good audio and signal reports so far, and I'm happy with it's overall performance. The rig puts out 25 watts on HI and 5 watts on LOW. While on LOW the the s-meter acts as a mic/audio modulation meter while TX'ing(kinda cool). I have had no problems getting into the local repeaters.

One last thing, the rig sports Kenwoods DCL system(if equipped with the optional DCL module.
Digital Channel Linking-DCL is kinda like the same concept as trunking. Two or more DCL equiped radios(using the same user selectable DCL code) monitor a control freq. TX'ed by the control radio, which tells the other radios what freq. to go to when any of the radios key up to talk. That way you are always TX'ing on a different freq. every time, making your conversation hard to scan/listen to by other hams etc. Also alows more users on less freqs by organizing TX.

Overall a good rig, I recomend it if you find one in good shape for $100-150 bucks and compactness and tons of memories are not a must. I certainly would buy another. Thanks for reading, and 73's -Kenneth, KG6NIE.

W7KEW Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2003 00:59 Send this review to a friend
Good Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this radio for $300 back in 1989 and have used it mobile, base and portable all over the country and it is a solid performer. They don't make rigs like this any more.