Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Xastir-Using Cygwin Help

Reviews Summary for Xastir-Using Cygwin
Xastir-Using Cygwin Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $0.00
Description: Xastir is program for receiving and plotting APRS(tm) position packets. Development is a collaborative effort of programmers from around the world. Xastir supports many map formats and is highly customizable.

Xastir currently runs on Windows/MacOSX/Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris/Lindows, with many more possible. It supports 117 map formats, several types of TNC's and weather stations, Festival speech synthesizer, AX.25 networking (Soundmodem/Baycom/SCC!) and seven languages!. On Unix-like operating systems, you can run your weather station or GPS on a separate computer as well, which is good for those hams who are already short on serial ports.
More info: http://www.xastir.org/

You can write your own review of the Xastir-Using Cygwin.

KH2SR Rating: 2/5 Oct 31, 2013 00:26 Send this review to a friend
Needs built in software TNC  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This app definitely needs an interface overhaul. Yes it has a lot of features and capabilities but the interface feels like its 1990 again.

More importantly this program desperately needs its own built in software TNC. This capability exists in many other programs so why not this one too?

Giving this program software TNC capabilities would allow Hams to simply hook up their radios audio input/output to the users Mac/PC audio input/output.

FORMER_WM5Z_SF Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2006 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Xastir brings APRS to life!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Although I am not using a Microsoft OS platform and therefor not using Cygwin, I am very pleased with the results that Xastir produces. As others here have already discribed the Linux install process, I won't go into the install details other than to suggest the potential installer to read all the help and readme files. These can be found on the home page.

There are lots of features, those expected, and many not expected that make this such a worthwile investment of your time and effort.

If you are looking for an APRS package, I recommend you try this wonderful program. The cost is very reasonable too! it is free!

S56OA Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2005 12:55 Send this review to a friend
Works nice on Mac  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Works nice on my Apple iMac G5, both under Mac OS X 10.3 - Panther and under new Mac OS X 10.4 - Tiger.

LID2LID Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2004 09:38 Send this review to a friend
Great on Linux and Windows (Cygwin)  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've used it both on Gentoo Linux, as well as Cygwin. The install process for Gentoo is a piece of cake (emerge xastir), but a little more complicated for Windows.

Overall, it's a very nice APRS program. I've downloaded varios TOPOs and shapefiles for my area, and it works fine. I'll be using it again in a public service event soon. I had no problems last time.

VE3SWF Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2004 08:36 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Software  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Works great. Installation is pretty simple, it was in the Portage tree for Gentoo, so all I had to do was use the "emerge xastir" command, and there it was. Great interface, and you can most likely find some nice-looking maps for your area.

N8INJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2004 03:36 Send this review to a friend
Very impressive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been interested in APRS for a couple of years but due to rig problems never really investigated it until the past few weeks.

I tried almost half a dozen other APRS packages and found all of them to be frustrating to use, poorly documented and overpriced. Ui-view was the only exception but I found the mapping in the 16bit version very lacking and the 32bit version is registered users only so I couldn't even try before buying.

Then I came across xastir. I had originally planned on running it on my Linux machine since it's a native unix program...but having played with Cygwin previously I thought I'd give the windows version a try. Amazingly the Cygwin version was simple to setup while the native Linux version was very frustrating!

The only downside to running this in windows with Cygwin is that it takes about 350meg of hard drive space with the recomended Cygwin packages installed. But setup was almost entirely point and click. Other than being somewhat unpolished looking visually the program is amazing.

I also got it running on my Linux machine since I already have xservers on both of my windows computers so I figured I could run it natively on the linux machine and pull it up though my xservers to use on the windows computers without the space hit of Cygwin. Plus I could share one configuration across three computers that way.

Getting it to compile with all mapping possibilites under Linux was very frustrating...but that was mainly because I failed to read the instructions and relied on my Linux experience instead. Once I read the README files I had it up and running easily. Unfortunatly my windows xserver (Pexus systems xDeep-32) crashes when I open xastir on the Linux machine. However that seems to be an issue with my windows based xserver as using Cygwin's xserver to bring up xastir from the Linux box works flawlessly.

W4CGP Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2004 10:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've been using Xastir since I got into APRS about three months ago and it was a welcome sight after using WinAPRS. I'm running RedHat Linux 8.0 (not Cygwin) and I'm sure that the install was easier than doing it with Cygwin. I did, however, have to install some missing dependency packages.

The program itself is a good performer and using Internet maps is excellent for me, since I'm on a high-speed Internet connection. Having the TerraServer maps is definitely a nice feature too. It doesn't have all the features of WinAPRS (such as sending radiograms) but for me, it's been solid as a rock (unlike WinAPRS) and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone who doesn't mind spending some time installing the program. Definitely worth it to me.

K7III Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2004 22:11 Send this review to a friend
Nice and tasty  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's an awesome piece of software, and the developers are constantly responding to users' problems and suggestions - on a daily basis! I can't stress that enough. Someone will suggest something, and before you know it, a new version is available as soon as they can get it done (often same day). I've been involved with the internet since long before Al gore invented it (pre http, pre gopher even, non-profit as per NSF, etc) - and professional software development for even longer, and I've never seen anythng like this. And it is free. And the source is available.

Back to the software - it's great. I tried a few others, all at the same time. Almost immediately I dropped the others and went with Xastir. Support for a TON of platforms, image formats, and map formats... several different type of port connections. Not bad consdering there are people using this without any problems on platforms and in ways the devs have never tried.

As for the install process, that can be pretty tricky. From my experience, you need to build it locally. If you aren't familiar with building (compiling, etc), it could be difficult if you don't follow the instructions precisely. But if you run into trouble, great and fast help is always available.

I would expect to give this a lower score if I were running Cgywin. I don't want to start any platforms wars and I'm definitely not trolling for flames - it's just a matter of trying to run an app developed for *nix (which can have problems of their own) on top of an interpreter on top of Windows.

Check the website (http://www.xastir.og) and subscribe to a mailing list for more info.

N8USY Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2004 21:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent program with great support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently installed XASTIR on my Linux box and immediately got hooked on APRS! The power and flexibility of the program are astounding, and the support of many map formats and internet map servers allows the user to create extremely customized and detailed map overlays.

Installation was not difficult at all for me (several years of Linux experience), and I am currently updating my local binaries frequently from the CVS repository with minimal effort.

Some of the power of XASTIR can be daunting at the beginning, especially the dbfawk scripting language used to customize some maps, but overall it is a great program with a great support community!

--N8USY

N1OFZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2004 21:11 Send this review to a friend
Xastir is great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm not sure why this review is labeled "Xastir-Using Cygwin". It should be labeled "Xastir". Regardless, Xastir is pretty easy to install and get running on *nix or related OS's such as Mac OSX and Linux. It is not too difficult to get running on Windows but it does take more than a point/click and a room temperature IQ.

Xastir has more functionality than any other APRS program, period. It also has the greatest group of developers I have ever had the pleasure to deal with. I have seen feature requests from users that been turned around in the same day. Try getting that kind of service on a Windows app! Do yourself a favor and give it a try, it is well worth it. Oh, did I mention it was free!