Reviews Categories | Filters, RF: bandpass, lowpass, highpass, RFI/EMI, etc.. | I.C.E. 402x filter Help

Reviews Summary for I.C.E. 402x filter
I.C.E. 402x filter Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $36
Description: Broadcast band filter
More info: http://www.iceradioproducts.com/

You can write your own review of the I.C.E. 402x filter.

K4RVN Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2010 20:17 Send this review to a friend
Solved my front end overload problem from Am Broadcast station.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Took a month to get it over Christmas Holidays,
but the wait was worth it. A great value for the money and does what is advertised. I noticed no
great amount of insertion loss and can get on HF now during the day when I could not before. One of the few that you can use to transmit through
using a hundred watts or more and receive with out a relay bypass or something. I ordered another today for my 440 Kenwood on 40 meters.
A nice looking filter.

WL7CLA Rating: 4/5 Nov 26, 2009 15:55 Send this review to a friend
Good quality, low cost  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I don't have overload issues with my main radios (756PROIII and FT-450), but some of my SW receivers were having issues, and I figured a number of +40 to +60 BCB stations were not likely to be helping my main rigs.

My take on the 402X.

Some one put alot of time into figuring out how to make a useful filter that could be sold fairly cheap. Workmanship is good, solid but not $$$, neat trick.

Loss on bands 80M and up is < .2db, and tuning as received was right on.

The _only_ thing I do not like is the SO239s... I realize teflon insulation and silver plated copper/beryllium contacts would be overkill, but the connector used is sub-par. Opening for the center contact is too large, no spring to the contacts. I had to carefully tweak the fingers on the 402X (and 3 other ICE bandpass filters) just to get solid contact. Add $5 to the price, but use better connectors. I and still seriously thinking about replacing all the so239s with Amphenol ones.

K7LRB Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2006 04:27 Send this review to a friend
AS ADVERTISED !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This item works exactly as advertised. I live less than 1/4 mile from an AM BC station. The station goes off the air at 1830 PM local time and, although I am normally a "night owl", it is nice to get on the air during the daytime once in a while. This has proven diffucult until I bought the ICE 402X. Now the BCI is gone, outta here, history, taps, curtains, lights out!

I did some comparison shopping before I purchased the filter. I found several BCB filters at a higher price through which you can NOT transmit. Great product, great company, great communications (they actually answer their own phone!). What could be better? If you have BCI, from my experience, this filter will take it out.... period!

de Larry

KX5F Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2005 08:44 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 3 of these on different rigs in my home. I live abt 1.5miles from KOMA, 50Kw AM 1520 radio station, without the filters cannot get on the air. I have the model 400x as I don't have a lot big enough for 160 meter ant, so I don't work there, Thanks a Lot ICE. 73s Pat

VE3XQQ Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2005 07:25 Send this review to a friend
MAGICAL BOX!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This filter is next to miraculous!! I have a unique situation where I am surrounded by 3 50KW BCB stations while being next door to the CHU beacon. This combination made for some interesting mixing products on 160 not to mention a 20DB over S-9 noise floor. Putting in the filter dropped the noise floor to S-5 and out popped some stations from the New Hampshire.

All this must be qualified by the fact I spent a great deal of time developing a good grounding field and shack wiring. The trick was to tune into an offending BCB station, take the shack equipment with the antennas disconnected and ground each piece until the BCB station is reduced down to S-1 or below. You will get wild and wooly results that make no sense at all!! Just remember you are sharing the same ground as the BCB station and playing around with ground loops, while trying to make a sudo-Faraday cage.

Thanks again to the ICE men, HAM SUPER HEROES!!

W4CWA Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2005 12:32 Send this review to a friend
BCB filter and more!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My QTH is about 4 air miles from WPTF and WRBZ (680kHz-50kw and 850khz-10kw respectively). My antenna is a dipole fed with twin lead up at 100 feet.

After I switched to an apparently high efficiency tuner (Palstar 1500BAL), the BCB interference became very noticeable.

The BCB interference was so bad that I could not use my MFJ-259 antenna analyzer. I did a little research and purchased an MFJ-731 filter for the antenna analyzer. It was expensive and cumbersome to use. That helped my antenna analyzer but not the BCB interference on the radio.

I eventually came across a review on the ICE 402x BCB filter on eham.net (thanks K8WDQ) and ordered one. I am very impressed at how well the 402x performed even on 160m. Not a peep from the BCB stations. As an added bonus, I am also able to use my antenna analyzer without the MFJ-731 with the 402x inline. The 402x is less than half the price of the MFJ-731 and for me does a lot more.

WB9YCJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2005 17:36 Send this review to a friend
401 similiar - cuts . 5 to 1.8 Mhz  Time owned: more than 12 months
I live about two miles from a 10 KW AM station on 1480 Khz (KWIZ). I can hear their signal on the landline telephone and mixing products on some Ham receivers! The model 401 is not aimed at the average Ham. It is for the SWL or Ham using seperate receiver. It is really a BCB "Notch" filter attenuating 500 Khz through 1800 Khz allowing LONGWAVE reception. Not suitable for serious 160 Meter ops since there "seemed" to be a 1 -2 db of spillover above 1800 Khz.

And I know the model 402(x) is NOT for the serious 160 OP for the same reason. If you live very near a BCB - opt for the model 400X. The 400(x) has more attenuation of the BCB since it starts rolling off (attenuates) below 3.5 Mhz. The "x" denotes capability for use with a transceiver which is what most hams want. About 7 years ago I called ICE and they said they could custom make a model 401 or 402 (same price) with roll off starting below 1800 Khz to facilate unaffected 160 M receive. In this situation, my 1480 station would have likely still show up as "some" mixing products in my receiver. In summary, these products work very well. Above all - see the chart at ICE showing the differances between the models - copy & paste:

WP3HW Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2005 16:45 Send this review to a friend
Needed Accessory  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had an AM Broadcast station nearby and my Icom 756 Pro suffered from overload, images, you name it. Purchased this filter, installed it and voilą, problem solved. The AM station and antenna was moved to another location and I thought the filter could be removed, reasoning the less gadgets between the transceiver and the antenna, the better. And so I did. Big mistake. Fewer images but many remained. The ICE filter is now back on. What more can I say? Thanks ICE!

W7TJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2005 21:16 Send this review to a friend
Eliminate BCB interference & clean up low band reception !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My QTH is on a high bluff making for a great take off in addtion to having
quiet ambient noise levels for low band operation. The Commericial AM
Broadcast stations came to the same conclusion there being 6-7 of them
within 2 Miles of my station running between 5 & 20KW
Even with a state of the art Transceiver, many were just "blowing by" my
receivers's front end as Jay from Array Solutions put it. Running the same
( Vertical Polarization) aggravated the situation further. Jay's suggestion
was install the 402X inline TX/RX BCB filter since it would take the 200
watts from my transceiver and provide an average of 45 DB attenuation across
the BC band. What a difference !! The $36.00 cost was well worth the
improvement...160M is now clean in addition to various bits of hash, white
noise, and just "crud" disappeared on the other bands; a very noticeable
improvement ! If you like to low band DX & live in the Vicinity of AM
Broadcast Stations, this is a Must ! - Randy W7TJ

K9ES Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2004 14:03 Send this review to a friend
Great ! Enabled a Multi-Multi operation at Skywarn Recognition  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I want to thank you for making sure the filters arrived on time for our Multi-Multi set-up at the Skywarn Recognition Day event at the National Weather Service, Melbourne FL. We ran 3 HF stations, with a dedicated station on 20M, and a station for 15M / 40M, and the third
station on 10M / 80M.

On 20M, we used the IC756Pro2 on 20M with an Ameritron AL572 linear. The antenna was a 3 element monobander at 45 feet, with a Ham-4 rotator. The ICE 20M band pass filter was connected between the transceiver and
linear input using RG214 coax jumpers. All coax used during this operation was RG214. We ran 1000 Watts Output on CW and SSB with very
low VSWR.

On 15 and 40M, we ran the IC765 transceiver with an old Amp Supply 1000 "No Tune" linear, and it's matching tuner. The antenna on 15M was
a 3 element monobander at 35 feet, with arm-strong rotation. This yagi had very low VSWR. The antenna on 40M was a 2 element "shorty-fourty" monobander at 35 feet, with arm-strong rotation. The antenna tuner was used on 40M and bypassed on 15M. The ICE 15M and 40M band pass filter was connected between the transceiver and linear input using RG214 coax jumpers and a pair of SPDT N-Type coaxial relays. A switch provided 28V to place the filters on 40M. They were normally switched to 15M.

On 10 and 80M, we ran the IC756Pro2 transceiver with an Ameritron AL811H, and a Heathkit KW Tuner. The antenna on 10M was a Cushcraft A4S
Tribander at 35 feet, with arm-strong rotation. This yagi also had very low VSWR. The antenna on 80M was a dipole strung from about 65 feet on
the Weather Radar tower to a point 70 feet up on the Instrumentation / Communications Tower some 200 feet away. The antenna tuner was used on
80M and bypassed on 10M. The ICE 10M and 80M band pass filter was connected between the transceiver and linear input using RG214 coax
jumpers and a pair of coaxial switches.

At no time did any receiver suffer from the strong RF being supplied by the other stations. On 20M, I could hear the 2nd harmonic of the 40M
CW, but it was not blocking the receive nor affecting the 3rd order intermodulation distortion. The 40M station could also hear the 80M station, but not to hurt listening to weak signals (and the signals were not strong, as the bands were pretty bad).

We think that our 1537 QSO's might be a record for any National Weather Service Skywarn activity. Last year, our station
made slightly over 500 QSO's with a minimal setup. When I had explained my plans a month prior to the operation, many skeptics believed the stations would not be able to transmit at the same time. Their past experience showed that even 100 watt transceivers killed other receiving with the antennas and stations being so proximal. This operation proved that a Multi-Multi is a reality, when you use appropriate band pass filtering. The skeptics were highly impressed.

I have nothing but praise for the people at ICE and for Array
Solutions.