Reviews Categories | Microphones | Heil Traveler Mic Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Traveler Mic
Heil Traveler Mic Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $ 89.00
Description: Heil mic for the 817 etc

You can write your own review of the Heil Traveler Mic.

VE6AGE Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2011 19:28 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Heil Traveler Single Headset is a superb addition in my mobile operation. Easy to operate and I get great audio reports from my Yaesu FT-857D. I just love it. I did buy the extra cord to hook up to my Icom IC-718 home base. Highly recommended headset. Denis / VE6AGE @ www.VE6AGE.com

KC2WOC Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2011 19:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent quality, very durable.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had the Traveler Headset for over six months now and I am very pleased. I use it in the shack at night and in the car on long trips. It is durable and has survived rough inspections by the grandchildren and is still going strong. I purchased it from CheapHam.com and I highly recommend them. Great customer service and very knowledgeable.

KE4NU Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2010 16:55 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the somewhat overpriced heil traveler to use on several rigs. I've used it on a 746pro contesting and I'm pleased with its performance. I also use it with a ft857D and it works great. Yes, I think its overpriced since you can get computer headsets for less than 20 bucks and its close in quality to those but it serves its purpose at home and on the road so I'll say yes I recommend it..73, Alan

K1ALL Rating: 4/5 Dec 29, 2008 04:16 Send this review to a friend
PTT Sticks  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this mike for a year with excellent results on Yaesu FT-897, FT-60 and VX-150 radios. It is comfortable for long periods and reports on audio have been good. However, the PTT button periodically sticks on transmit unless pushed very carefully, a frustrating defect that detracts from an otherwise terrific unit.

AH6ZZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2008 20:27 Send this review to a friend
Good compromise mic  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This headset is a compromise and like all compromises it works best for what it was intended. It does not have the sound quality of my PR780 or other full range mics; it doesn't have the weight or features of the Proset -- but it is an excellent travel headset, especially for the FT817.

I have tried it on the 817, an FT450 and a TS480 -- all with good reports. Each required adjustments to the mic gain for correct ALC control.

For the 817 it is about equal to the One-Big-Punch mic with the added benefit of a headphone that is much easier to listen to than the radio's built-in speaker. And it packs well.

W3AHL Rating: 1/5 Jun 7, 2008 13:07 Send this review to a friend
Icom HT Adapter  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Traveler headset is OK. But the HTA-iHT adapter used for Icom HT's is not compatible with any Icom HT I have tried. Heil uses the jack's tip to source the 3 volts DC required by the mic's electret element, instead of the ring. When PTT is pushed, the 1.5K ohm resistor it shunts to ground pulls down the electrets voltage to 0.2 volts. The audio output is barely a whisper. When first purchased, the mic had an intermittent short at the electret element also.

Heil's support is very poor, taking the position that it works OK (when they eventually responded). They never replied to my technical analysis of the problem.

I eventually replaced the 1.5K resistor to PTT with 33K and it works OK on my IC-91AD and IC-V82.

K4CMC Rating: 2/5 Feb 19, 2008 15:04 Send this review to a friend
Mechanical Problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned three of the Traveler headsets all of which performed well electronically. However, the early version was much superior to the ones now made and I used it for several years with good results until it finally succumbed to the wear of mobile use. This original version for the IC-707 MKIIG was lightweight with a one piece cable and worked well. The later version went to a huge connector so that various rigs could be used with various adaptor cables. The problem involved in this aproach is that this connector is so heavy it drags on the cable and gets in the way in mobile use. What results is that the strain relief on both of the Travelers, due to either being improperly installed by Heil or the added weight of the connector repeatedly pulls the wires of the cable out. A much lighter weight connector with a proper strain relief should have been used. In both of these later Travelers another problem was that the glue holding the earpiece cushion on, which never appeared to have properly dried, repeatedly failed causing the cushion to keep falling off. It was clear that this repeated failure of two different headsets indicated that the type of glue was not mechanically proper for this kind of use. It seems that fixing problems of this nature are no brainers, but poor mechanical design and failure to fix the problems seems to be a problem with some other Heil headsets as well.

KI4NBE Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2007 23:01 Send this review to a friend
Great headset  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This was just the kind of headset w/mic I was looking for to use with my new Icom IC-76mkIIg
I was look for a headset I could use with my hearing aid's and this was it!
Most headsets I have used would not give good audio rx and/or make my hearing aid buzz up a storm, not this one and thats a big plus + for me.
Bob Heil I'm very happy with this headset and will be buying other Heil products soon.
73 de George/KI4NBE

N2RRA Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2007 21:21 Send this review to a friend
Awesome! perfect for IC-7000  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I copied, and pasted this review that I wrote on the Icom 7000 radio section with a couple extra details added. This is basically what the Traveler mic. did for me for my IC-7000.

We all know that there's been some problem with low modualation and narrow sound on FM. Well I decide to try various microphone's to see which match's best, and doesn't compromise audio on HF. Here is the list:

a. Heil Handie Mic. HM-5
b. Heil Gold Line
c. HM 151 w/ AB5N mic. modification.
d. IC-706 stock mic.
e. Heil Traveler Head set w/ Electric Element for Icom
f. IC SM-8 Desk Mic.

The three best in order coming out on top were the:

IC SM-8, Heil Traveler Head set, and HM151 w/ AB5N mic. mod.

I chose the Heil head set all the way for mobile use. Now! There are absolutely no request's on FM simplex, or repeaters to turn the audio up, or description's of odd 2Khz of deviation sound. With the head set I can keep my hands free, and even operate VOX with no back ground noise, and even drive with window's down half way at 65Mph with my current setting's. With other mic's I couldn't do this. On a watt meter I even saw superior drive power over every other mic.

Audio is described as full like 3Khz + deviation like any other station on. Awesome! On H.F. I have found that my narrow band setting L-300, and H-2500, "no" Compression, and mic. gain at 65+ sounds the best with reports coming back as "sounds great", "arm chair copy" "loud and clear" etc....... This was not the case with any other of the microphone's for the mobile. The SM-8 was the exception which is for the base.

Even on 2m SSB I have tried working stations from a distance even cross polorized beside's horizontal, and swaped out mic's, and TBW setting's to test. Always coming back the best was the Heil traveler on my narrow band setting.

The OK audio was the only thing I didn't like about the 7000 but I was willing to live with it, becasue it's just and awesome rig. Don't have too live with it any longer. This is the mic. and I don't see any other taking it's place for a long time.

Love this mic.!
73!
Eric

WA5RR Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2007 06:48 Send this review to a friend
Lightweight Powerhouse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this headset for over two years now. It is lightweight and handy for shack, mobile, and portable use. The Traveler is used a majority of the time in my shack even though I have a PR-40 available. It's just so convenient and comfortable.