Reviews Categories | Microphones | Heil Traveler Mic Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Traveler Mic
Heil Traveler Mic Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $ 89.00
Description: Heil mic for the 817 etc

You can write your own review of the Heil Traveler Mic.

W2DI Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2007 06:28 Send this review to a friend
Hands Free Mobile  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased the Traveler Mic Single Side headset for use with my 2M/70cm mobile. The cellphone laws being what they are here in NJ and not having any idea what they will be in the future, I thought it would be a good time to go to a 'hands free' arrangement.
With the headset, I received the wrong connector interface (from the dealer, not directly from Heil Co). The one I received was for a Yaesu 817 (8-pin modular) while I have an FT-7800 mobile (6-pin modular).
I don't even know if there is a connector specific for the 7800, so I took the one I had and re-wired it to a 6-pin modular plug.
The headset works great with the 7800! Receive audio in the noisy car is a pleasure to listen to. I don't miss anything and the fidelity is excellent.
Reports from other stations indicate a much fuller and stronger transmit audio. I can keep the boom mic away from my mouth and have plenty of audio. The Yaesu stock hand mic is good, but the Heil headset has significantly more presence.
There is one thing I am going to change to make this truely 'hands free.' The PTT is a momentary pushbutton switch; you must hold it down to transmit. I am going to add (in parallel) a push-and-hold/push and release type switch so that I can key the rig and let go.
Even with the minor inconvencies I needed to correct with my particular setup, the Traveler is a quality product with excellent audio on both receive and transmit...thus 5 points.
Thanks for reading.
Joe -- W2DI

W8VI Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2006 13:00 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Quality and Audio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been purchasing Heil products since the 80's and the quality of workmanship keeps improving and exceeding my expectations.

I am using the Traveler with a FT-857D in a Camry and it works great. Receive audio is loud and clear. Transmit audio is much better than the standard hand mic. But best of all I can wear this mic for hours with minimum ear fatigue due to the light weight but strong construction. Unless you runover this headset it will last many years. For me it's a real pleasure to use the Traveler and I highly recommend this product from Heil.
73, Gary

KA8INA Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2004 13:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Unit... Great Service  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was looking for a mobile set-up with headphones and boom mic that would be legal in Ohio. Found the Heil Traveler at AES, and bought it. Attached it to my FT897D, put it all in my Miata and started working Mobile 8..... Great audio reports, great signal reports, and so nice to use. One headphone and a boom. Perfectly legal and just right for mobile. That Bob is a genius!!
And then, I sold the 897 and bought a 746PRO. Hmmm, wrong end on the Traveler for the Icom. Went to AES (Wickliff) and the TECH (?) up there told me I would have to buy another Traveler as all ends were different. Sent an email to Heil asking about an adapter. LESS THAN 1 HOUR LATER I got a telephone from Bob himself. He explained that all of the Heil mics are tested before packaging, and they are tested on all sorts of radios including an ICOM. So, he said to disconnect the old connector at the joint, and that would screw right on to the ICOM mic connector on the radio. Did it, and it did.... worked right the first time. And getting the same Super Audio reports I got before. Thank you Bob, you're great.... Jeff WB8QYT

K6LCS Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2004 15:33 Send this review to a friend
New HT Adapters!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great unit - I use mine in the car with my Kenwood D-700. And now Heil has announced Icom, Yaesu (VX-1/2/5/150/FT-60), and Kenwood adapters for using our Travellers with our HTs!

Clint Bradford, K6LCS

K6JEY Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2004 14:13 Send this review to a friend
Good Headset  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use the Traveler as a mic/headset for my 10Ghz portable rig. It allows me to hear the liason radio while hearing the microwave radio. It attaches easily to the rig when I move it. The PTT fob is great. The mic is very loud compared to the original 817 mic so had to do some fiddling to get the level right. During a recent contest it proved to be easy to use and transport. Being light and small actually makes it less vulnerable to damage. I'll be interested to see other reviews.