Reviews Categories | Voice Keyers | Unified Microsystems VK-64 Help

Reviews Summary for Unified Microsystems VK-64
Unified Microsystems VK-64 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $249.95
Description: Combination voice/CW keyer
More info: http://www.qth.com/w9xt

You can write your own review of the Unified Microsystems VK-64.

NB4M Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2008 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Quality Keyer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Unified Microsystems VK64 provides high quality CW and voice memory keying. Gary will also work with you to supply cables for every application/variation of rig.
I have found that the quality of the voice recordings are far superior to other external keyers on the market. Also very easy to set up and use.

NV7E Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2007 02:26 Send this review to a friend
Works great with W2IHY EQ system  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There are a number of voice keyers on the market. The newer ones are mostly computer based which store and play wave (.wav) files. United Microsystems offers one in the form of a PC card called the W9XT Contest Card.

I wanted a voice keyer that I would use with the W2IHY EQ system, so that all of my SSB signals including the recorded ones would benefit from the W2IHY EQ technology. I also wanted one which I could use by just pushing a button rather than fooling with yet another computer program. I had the United Microsystems XT-4 CW keyer before and like it a lot. The VK-64 seemed to fit my requirements exactly, so I ordered one.

When you get the VK-64 with the optional mic cable you have to finish off the cable which has a DB-9 at one end. The other ends have the wires tinned but unfinished. You just have to wire the supplied mic connectors, one to the mic and one to the radio, for the radio of your choice. In my case, I wired it for the Kenwood TS-2000X. (If you don't order the optional cable, you have to get the parts and wire the whole thing yourself.)

I also ordered the UVK-200 USB adaptor which works only with the VK-64. If you don't want to use the USB adaptor, you can use the LPT (printer) port of your computer, if it has one.

With the USB adaptor you get a computer program which allows you to control the VK-64 from your computer. I don't think you can record voice messages from the program, but you get two extra CW memories for a total of six which you can type text into. (The VK-64 is also a CW memory keyer.)

You can load up to four voice messages into memory for a total of 60 seconds. Loading and playing voice messages are very easy, almost intuitive.

I am very pleased that I am able to speak through the VK-64 and the W2IHY system full time so that the recorded voice messages are processed and sound just like the live ones. Since the W2IHY system has its own set of adaptors for the various rigs, I am able to use the VK-64 with my Ten-Tec Orion even though the VK-64 is wired for the Kenwood.

While it is not the least expensive way to go, it is great to have product that works exactly the way I want. It makes a great companion for the W2IHY EQ system.

ZS6SIG