Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Cubex Quads Help

Reviews Summary for Cubex Quads
Cubex Quads Reviews: 30 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $449.95
Description: Photo shows Cubex Model MK II-PT3 model; 2 ele, 3 band Quad
More info: http://www.cubex.com

You can write your own review of the Cubex Quads.

NN4ZZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2017 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Cubex 3 el 5 band w/QuadLocks  Time owned: more than 12 months
Installed my 3 el Cubex quad in 2011. Very happy with the performance, and quality of the product. While some may not agree, the quad really does seem quieter and opens the bands sooner. Pictures here:

Scroll down to the Cubex pictues....

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ

WA2OOO Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2017 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Pile Up Destroyer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Let me start off by saying I have built many Cubical Quads over the years, and Cubex makes a very good product. This review will be for their 4 element 5 bander and Quads in general. The Cubex materials and hardware supplied are top notch, Boom is 3” and the hubs and spreaders are robust, wires are labeled and premeasured. The SWR will come in as advertised and I recommend buying the version using separate coax’s to feed each band. There’s not much to it, as for the performance. Despite what any “internet expert” has said about Cubical Quads, they simply are the best performing antenna you could own. And Cubex make a fine product, their 4 element 5 bander will out talk most any other single antenna on 10-20 meters period. I have owned 3 Cubex Quads and various other brands and made several of my own, and have a few Yagi’s as well. I do not partake in the Quads versus Yagi conversations because the proof is plain to see. Cubical Quads, give you more gain, and hear better than any comparable boom length Yagi.
Unfortunately for Quads, most people perceive them as to difficult to assemble, and mechanically THIS IS a big antenna, you most likely need a tower, The other worry is usually about ice storms and wind. The Cubex company has done a good job addressing those concerns with their excellent products. Unless you are stacking monobander Yagi’s on a 125+ foot tower… Then by all means knock yourself out. But if you want only a single antenna as a monobander or a multibander, The Cubical Quad is very tough to beat. There are no shortage of old school Yagi guys who will come up with some arcane nonsense as to why a Quad isn’t that good, and that would be because they never had one. Any Cubical Quad owner who has ever put one up properly and tuned it, Never would complain about its performance. All Cubex products are quality made Cubical Quads.

AB0DV Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2014 13:22 Send this review to a friend
Best in Class  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Starts with delivery: Package would stand world delivery
Construction. Parts are best in class. Stainless metal, excellent pvc
Erection: Ease of construction is unbelievable. Everything is color coded and marked.
Setting. It is a quad. I had to use a crane service.
Performance: Had a chance to use it in CQ contest, unbelievable exceeds all specs.
Price really reasonable.
You can not go wrong if you desire a Quad.

W7RJR Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2014 13:30 Send this review to a friend
Killer Bee 6M Quad  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This may be a new antenna for Tennadyne, both Rog and Norm I have been dealing with for over a decade. This is a 6 element single band quad for 6 meters. It weighs in at about 34 pounds. Arrived very well packed. Rog puts these together as orders come in so be patient about shipping. All of the parts and hardware are well marked. The instructions are clear. The boom is all aluminum construction with fiberglass supports for the arms. Everything is color coded, pre-drilled and the wire pre-measured for each element. Use two step ladders to support the boom when assembling. It took me about 3 hours to put the entire quad together on the ground. Getting the elements aligned so they are all straight and looking good takes a little bit of time. Construction was straight-forward (plenty of extra hardware was a nice touch!)
As designed the impedance of the driven element closely approaches 50 ohms and should be a good match for LMR 400/RG213 etc. Neither of these are very flexible though so if you are going to use a short length of more flexible cable for the loop to the rotator be careful of what you use as the wrong length can create a mismatch and high SWR. Generally make it a multiple of a half wavelength taking the velocity factor of the coax into consideration. You will have to play around with the driven element size, position of the cable mount, etc., in order to fine tune the SWR where you want it. The directors and reflector are connected together using crimp on connectors after tightening up the wire elements. I used a propane torch to solder them afterward.

Tests with local stations have thus far been very good experiencing at least 20 dB and possibly more Front to Back ratio. Side rejection was considerable and probably around 50 dB. I have mine mounted in the diamond configuration with the feedpoint at the bottom for horizontal polarization. Only one eSkip contact with this new antenna so far but he was 20 dB over S9 on a band barely open.

I also made several meteor scatter contacts with no problem the same evening. I'm looking forward to years of trouble free performance. By the way, Roger won't leave you hanging if you have questions or need help. He responds promptly to emails!

K0XD Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2014 21:01 Send this review to a friend
BOUGHT (2) 5 BAND 2 ELEMENT QUADS  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
PURCHASED ONE WHOLE NEW 5B 2 ELEMENT UNIT AND REPAIRED A 17 YR.OLD SKYBOLT THAT THE WIRES FINALLY BROKE AND REPLACED WITH CUBEX QUAD HARDWARE. WITH ROGER'S HELP, BOTH WENT UP AND WORK BEAUTIFULLY.

AJ4RW Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2012 03:18 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic antenna and more  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is an update to a previous review about the Skymaster III 5 band Cubex quad. The performance of this antenna has been superb to say the least. Continues to amaze me and out performs any antenna I have. The technical support behind the antenna is excellent. Roger is great to work with and his expertise is second to none. I had an accident while transferring to another tower and broke an aluminum spider hub and had a replacement with 4 days. Thanks Cubex Quad for a great antenna!!!
Randy AJ4RW

VE2XB Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2011 06:05 Send this review to a friend
2 el Cubex quad!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my 2 el Cubex quad for 2 yrs now and I am now a big fan of quads. It is light and has a small boom, 9 ft and small turning radius that fits most city lots. I have been astounded at the performance with it at 35 ft--I can work anything I can hear on 10, 15, 12, 17 and 20m. I use a remote coax switch mounted on the tower and it performs flawlessly on all bands with 70w and I even use 7w at times. Roger, the owner of CUBEX, is a friendly and helpful fellow who I ask questions by phone and email. He is amazing if you need advice or have some technical issues to discuss.
Roger, thanx for making a great quad! Bravo!
mike, ve2xb

N2SLO Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2011 17:42 Send this review to a friend
9 Years Later  Time owned: more than 12 months
I originally reviewed my Scorpion 8 Element 2M Quad in 2002. I just performed some maintenance on the antenna. The antenna was in great shape. The boom was shedding a little fiberglass. I gave the boom a nice black paint job, and back up on the roof it sits. I have changed polarity to horizontal, and use this antenna in all major VHF contests. Works great. If you go to my QRZ.com home page, you can see it up on the top of my roof. Highly recommended.

NO9E Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2011 00:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent deal  Time owned: more than 12 months
After > 10 years my quad needed some extra fixtures and Roger volunteered to send them in. His support is important as hardware sold in some stores as stainless rusts in a few months. On the other hand, his hardware is time proven. I am happy with my quad. It has monoband gain, is relatively light, and it can be fixed in no time. It is on a roof tower. This way the bottom can easily be accessed for tuning while the center of radiation is higher.

VE2XB Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2011 05:44 Send this review to a friend
2 el quad  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had my Cubex Quad since Sept/2010 and it has performed very well despite a very nasty winter here in the North east with lots of snow, ice and hvy winds. It works flawlessly and handles the strong winds here easily. SWR is close to flat.
I only wish it also covered 6m...maybe next model will.
I have worked so much dx it isn't funny. Usually with one call and 70w!
Roger at Cubex is a decent guy and has been very supportive with questions, etc.
Many neighbours have commented that the structure in back on the tower looks like a work of modern art! I have it hidden just above a small tower. You have to look very closely to even see it. I do think it too, looks lovely in the sun and very much like a piece of modern/contemporary art!
73, dx