Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Cubex Quads Help

Reviews Summary for Cubex Quads
Cubex Quads Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $449.95
Description: Photo shows Cubex Model MK II-PT3 model; 2 ele, 3 band Quad
More info: http://www.cubex.com

You can write your own review of the Cubex Quads.

AB0DV Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2014 13:22 Send this review to a friend
Best in Class  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Starts with delivery: Package would stand world delivery
Construction. Parts are best in class. Stainless metal, excellent pvc
Erection: Ease of construction is unbelievable. Everything is color coded and marked.
Setting. It is a quad. I had to use a crane service.
Performance: Had a chance to use it in CQ contest, unbelievable exceeds all specs.
Price really reasonable.
You can not go wrong if you desire a Quad.

W7RJR Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2014 13:30 Send this review to a friend
Killer Bee 6M Quad  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This may be a new antenna for Tennadyne, both Rog and Norm I have been dealing with for over a decade. This is a 6 element single band quad for 6 meters. It weighs in at about 34 pounds. Arrived very well packed. Rog puts these together as orders come in so be patient about shipping. All of the parts and hardware are well marked. The instructions are clear. The boom is all aluminum construction with fiberglass supports for the arms. Everything is color coded, pre-drilled and the wire pre-measured for each element. Use two step ladders to support the boom when assembling. It took me about 3 hours to put the entire quad together on the ground. Getting the elements aligned so they are all straight and looking good takes a little bit of time. Construction was straight-forward (plenty of extra hardware was a nice touch!)
As designed the impedance of the driven element closely approaches 50 ohms and should be a good match for LMR 400/RG213 etc. Neither of these are very flexible though so if you are going to use a short length of more flexible cable for the loop to the rotator be careful of what you use as the wrong length can create a mismatch and high SWR. Generally make it a multiple of a half wavelength taking the velocity factor of the coax into consideration. You will have to play around with the driven element size, position of the cable mount, etc., in order to fine tune the SWR where you want it. The directors and reflector are connected together using crimp on connectors after tightening up the wire elements. I used a propane torch to solder them afterward.

Tests with local stations have thus far been very good experiencing at least 20 dB and possibly more Front to Back ratio. Side rejection was considerable and probably around 50 dB. I have mine mounted in the diamond configuration with the feedpoint at the bottom for horizontal polarization. Only one eSkip contact with this new antenna so far but he was 20 dB over S9 on a band barely open.

I also made several meteor scatter contacts with no problem the same evening. I'm looking forward to years of trouble free performance. By the way, Roger won't leave you hanging if you have questions or need help. He responds promptly to emails!

K0XD Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2014 21:01 Send this review to a friend
BOUGHT (2) 5 BAND 2 ELEMENT QUADS  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
PURCHASED ONE WHOLE NEW 5B 2 ELEMENT UNIT AND REPAIRED A 17 YR.OLD SKYBOLT THAT THE WIRES FINALLY BROKE AND REPLACED WITH CUBEX QUAD HARDWARE. WITH ROGER'S HELP, BOTH WENT UP AND WORK BEAUTIFULLY.

AJ4RW Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2012 03:18 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic antenna and more  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is an update to a previous review about the Skymaster III 5 band Cubex quad. The performance of this antenna has been superb to say the least. Continues to amaze me and out performs any antenna I have. The technical support behind the antenna is excellent. Roger is great to work with and his expertise is second to none. I had an accident while transferring to another tower and broke an aluminum spider hub and had a replacement with 4 days. Thanks Cubex Quad for a great antenna!!!
Randy AJ4RW

VE2XB Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2011 06:05 Send this review to a friend
2 el Cubex quad!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my 2 el Cubex quad for 2 yrs now and I am now a big fan of quads. It is light and has a small boom, 9 ft and small turning radius that fits most city lots. I have been astounded at the performance with it at 35 ft--I can work anything I can hear on 10, 15, 12, 17 and 20m. I use a remote coax switch mounted on the tower and it performs flawlessly on all bands with 70w and I even use 7w at times. Roger, the owner of CUBEX, is a friendly and helpful fellow who I ask questions by phone and email. He is amazing if you need advice or have some technical issues to discuss.
Roger, thanx for making a great quad! Bravo!
mike, ve2xb

N2SLO Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2011 17:42 Send this review to a friend
9 Years Later  Time owned: more than 12 months
I originally reviewed my Scorpion 8 Element 2M Quad in 2002. I just performed some maintenance on the antenna. The antenna was in great shape. The boom was shedding a little fiberglass. I gave the boom a nice black paint job, and back up on the roof it sits. I have changed polarity to horizontal, and use this antenna in all major VHF contests. Works great. If you go to my QRZ.com home page, you can see it up on the top of my roof. Highly recommended.

NO9E Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2011 00:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent deal  Time owned: more than 12 months
After > 10 years my quad needed some extra fixtures and Roger volunteered to send them in. His support is important as hardware sold in some stores as stainless rusts in a few months. On the other hand, his hardware is time proven. I am happy with my quad. It has monoband gain, is relatively light, and it can be fixed in no time. It is on a roof tower. This way the bottom can easily be accessed for tuning while the center of radiation is higher.

VE2XB Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2011 05:44 Send this review to a friend
2 el quad  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had my Cubex Quad since Sept/2010 and it has performed very well despite a very nasty winter here in the North east with lots of snow, ice and hvy winds. It works flawlessly and handles the strong winds here easily. SWR is close to flat.
I only wish it also covered 6m...maybe next model will.
I have worked so much dx it isn't funny. Usually with one call and 70w!
Roger at Cubex is a decent guy and has been very supportive with questions, etc.
Many neighbours have commented that the structure in back on the tower looks like a work of modern art! I have it hidden just above a small tower. You have to look very closely to even see it. I do think it too, looks lovely in the sun and very much like a piece of modern/contemporary art!
73, dx
Mike, ve2xb

LA4UOA Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2010 00:20 Send this review to a friend
dont like snow/ice  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my second review,first one was written in summer,now its winther in Norway.
I still give antenna 5,but it dont like snow/ice,swr goes up very much.
Perhaps better not using bare wire,if you get snow/ice.Antenna came with bare wire.

N2QQF Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2010 10:20 Send this review to a friend
Follow Up  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a follow up to let hams on the fence know how the antenna is performing after one of the worst winters here in the Northeast. I live upstate NY outside NY City and we had a horrible winter this year with plenty of ice storms as well. Well, I am please to report I had not one issue with the antenna at all. I had quite a few scary situations with ice buildup and strong winds and I held my breath and to my surprise there wasn't one moment that I was unable to use my antenna.

I was told by quite a few hams that my antenna would come down in ice and strong winds but this was certainly not the case. I hate to jinx myself but I attribute the success to the quality of materials and construction Roger @ Cubex uses with his antennas. I would never hesitate to buy another one if some unfortunate incident were to occur. If you want a big signal and quite antenna buy a Cubical Quad.