Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Cubex Quads Help

Reviews Summary for Cubex Quads
Cubex Quads Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $449.95
Description: Photo shows Cubex Model MK II-PT3 model; 2 ele, 3 band Quad
More info: http://www.cubex.com

You can write your own review of the Cubex Quads.

VK5SW Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2009 22:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My 2 element HF Cubex Quad is up in the air at 10 metres and performs very well. It's about 3 S-points better than my multiband ground plane and is very quiet on receive. It seems that if you can hear it on the Quad you can usually work it. It gets through very well and anyone considering building one wont be disappointed as the materials supplied are of a high order and the performance is excellent.
www.VK5SW.com

W8VZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2008 18:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I installed the 4 element 10-15-20 antenna and have been very impressed with the signal reports and its performance. It has been up one year and survived an ice storm. I got good support from the manufacturer for the few questions I had.\W8VZ

W3RXO Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2008 16:16 Send this review to a friend
Love my Scorpion 88!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Fantastic antenna. Easy to assemble, fantastic performance, outstanding F/B and side rejection. The only way I could be happier would be to stack them and put them up higher.

VK4WT Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2006 22:23 Send this review to a friend
Cubex Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a 3 element, 4 band Cubex Quad that just went through a Category 5 Cyclone. The Quad survived without a problem but the tower sustained some damage from a large branch from an Iron Bark tree.
Wind gusts were reportedly in excess of 280 kilometres an hour, I had 9 large trees ripped out of the ground and numerous small trees either laid over or ripped out and blown away.
The elements are direct fed except for 10M which uses a 3/4 wave 75Ohm coax. No baluns or gamma matches, all bands are less than 1.5:1 where I need it to be. (12M wires are not installed)
The antenna is over one year old and previously I had a Cubex 2 element, 5 Band Quad and it worked flawlessly.
Well done Norman, you build the best Quads around.
Oh, and before I forget, it will soon have a fourth element added.
73's
Gary (VK4WT)

G7VKX Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2005 09:28 Send this review to a friend
Small size - Big performance!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use the Magnum 2CB (two element mono band) quad due to space limitations, however the performance is unbelievable for such a relatively small antenna. It's mounted at about forty feet & fed with Ecoflex 10 (another great product)& it drastically reduces static and other noise compared to a three element Yagi. Performance is claimed to be 7dbd gain, we'll all I can say is that I'm getting out further and pulling-in better (with less unwanted noise)than I ever did with a Yagi. Build quality seems to very robust although it's yet to survive a North East winter! Assembly was simple and SWR was acceptable for a pre-tuned element (I calculated my own eventually)The Cubex customer service are efficient & helpful. Oh, & Norm is a top geezer too - when do I get the extra 10% discount Norm??? Hi Hi, 73's

N7EKX Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2005 23:17 Send this review to a friend
Great (with a little help)!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the Cubex Mk II 3-band (20-15-10) 2-element quad on an 8-foot boom in 1996, the second time I had built this antenna. Based on 10 years of experience with the earlier quad in a very windy environment (western Washington), I knew exactly what I needed to do, to make it permanent. First, to eliminate "boom sag" with the earlier quad, I substituted 1/4" thick aluminum for the supplied 1/8" thick aluminum. Second, I threw out the "pre-tuned" solid wire elements (no quad can really be "pre-tuned," if you really want best results), and substituted #14 stranded copper with tough THHN insulation. Third, I attached the elements to the fiberglass spreaders with a combination of UV-protected tyrap plastic and a short run of insulated wire. Finally, I tuned each band separately on the 40' tower for best F/B at the design frequency. The "reinforced" quad has survided winds close to 100 mph on occasions, with no damage over the past 8 years. The Cubex quads are probably the best on the commercial market, but if you really want to make them survive permanently (and continue to irritate Yagi owners!), you can make them a little better, like I did.

KK6D Rating: 3/5 Feb 23, 2005 12:46 Send this review to a friend
5 band 2 element with 3 inch boom  Time owned: more than 12 months
In 1997, a friend had a 5 band 2 element Cubex Quad on the 3 inch 8 foot boom. He lives in the mountains of Southern California at the 6000 ft level. We have had to rebuild and rework his Cubex on several occasions because the Cubex Quad has failed to make it through the cold winters and southern winds.

We initially had difficulty getting a good swr match with the transformer and the specifications given by Cubex. The single feed match point failed to provide low enough swr to all bands. 12 and 15 meters were especially problematic. After several attempts to match the 5 bands, an Ameritron Antenna Switch was used with stubs that allowed for good matches on all bands. Lots of time was wasted trying other fixes before going with the dedicated stubs.

The wire provided by Cubex at that time was not very durable, and several of the wires broke after a few months. The flexing of the spreader, with the wire threaded through holes in the spreaders, caused the wire to stretch and break. In addition, the boom to mast was not pinned and the boom spun in the winds.

The second rebuild replaced the wire with 14 ga copperweld wire and the boom was pinned to deter spinning in winds. The copperweld wire worked nicely and pinning the boom kept the future spinning problems from occurring during the remainder of the antennas lifetime.

During the second winter one of the boom to spreader spiders failed in a winter storm, and brought one side of the antenna onto the roof and other antennas. Cubex was good about replacing the failed spider. By the different color of the metal at the failure point, the failure appeared to have been caused by a bad casting. After the third rebuild, the antenna was replaced by a Force 12 C3SS, and it has survived without incident. Hope this is helpful!

WB5HAK Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2004 10:58 Send this review to a friend
4 Element 5 Band - Great Antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am a little truant putting up my review of this fine antenna. I bought the MKIV - PT5, which is a 4 element, 5 band quad on the full 30' boom. I can hear things I never heard before, and work anyone I hear!! What more can I ask?? It is a bit of a challenge to build, but with care, is a one man job. I tilted my breakover at about 45 degrees, put up the boom, then "threaded" the completed elements onto the boom. Worked FB!! Had an SWR issue on a couple of bands, but Norm helped me with dimensions for building up the matching sectins, and all is well now. Low SWR across the bands on all 5! I took lots of pictures during build/install, so ask if you would like to see them. I would definitely recommend purchasing this fine product. There is a picture, and my email address on QRZ.com. 73, Don, WB5HAK

WD1V Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2003 06:28 Send this review to a friend
5 Band 2 Ele MK II  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Arrived very professionally packaged. Assembly was easy.
Pre-tuned as holes in spreaders determine each loop's circumference. Uses Ameritron coax switch so can feed with single feed and select each driven element here in the shack. V.S.W.R. less than 1.5 to 1 on all 5 bands. Takes 1500 watts with no problems. Been a ham 43 years and this is a sweet one! Pictures and more comments on my web site. 73 - WD1V

WP4PR Rating: 2/5 Aug 8, 2003 00:29 Send this review to a friend
Poor Performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Parts are of good quality but the antenna performance doesn't match the manufacturer claims. Had problems with 15 meters and 17 meters and still do. Antenna elements were cut by the factory for all 5 bands. Very high VSWR on the 15 & 17 meter bands. Poor support from the manufacturer after the sale was made.