Reviews Categories | Microphones | Marshall MXL 1006BP Help

Reviews Summary for Marshall MXL 1006BP
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $119
Description: The MXL 1006BP has a cardoid polar pattern, solid state circuitry, and a balanced transistor output. It has a one inch gold sputtered diaphragm and operates on phantom power at 48 volts or on an internal 9 volt battery. The frequency response is 30 Hz to 20 kHz. It comes standard with a champagne finish and a swivel mount mic adapter.
More info: http://www.MXLmics.com

You can write your own review of the Marshall MXL 1006BP.

N4PDY Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2005 18:08 Send this review to a friend
An excellent HF mic at low cost  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using the MXL 1006 BP with my Icom 756ProII for about a year now with excellent results. I'm not a wideband sideband guy, but I appreciate good sounding audio. The 1006BP fills the bill for HF: good response, good output and easily adaptable. Many condenser mics require "phantom power" on the audio lines, but the BP part of 1006BP means "Battery Powered"; it runs on an internal 9 volt battery. I modified mine, converting the balanced output to unbalanced by grounding one side inside the mic housing (easy to get to through the battery door). This freed up a pin on the connector, through which I power the mic from the DC present on the transceiver's mic connector. Works great, and I never have to worry about turning the mic on and off or running down the battery. The mic can be found new for around $100, including a nice shock mount and carrying case. The mount works great with a Heil mic arm. All in all a terrific way to get great sounding HF audio at low cost.

AA5CH Rating: 4/5 Apr 30, 2003 03:09 Send this review to a friend
No phantom supply issues  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
KC5LVW and I have been experimenting with microphones and equalizers recently. After he experienced some hum problems with a conventional condenser mic requiring a 48V phantom supply, we began to look at the MXL 1006BP and the MCA SP-2, both of which are manufactured by Marshall as we later discovered.

Both of these microphones are capable of operating on an internal 9V battery, eliminating the need for a phantom power supply. KC5LVW purchased the SP-2 and I ordered the 1006BP, which is approximately $60 higher. He paid more for his EQ than I did, afterall...hi. What we discovered through on-air A/B comparisons follows...

Both mics require equalization to achieve acceptable audio quality for SSB. We were unable to get the audio to sound the way we wanted it using only whatever controls were available on his FT1000MP Field and my TS950SDX. The FT1000MP Field came pretty close, but just did not have the required range of adjustments to satisfy our ears. The addition of the W2IHY 8 band EQ to both audio chains provided us with the range of adjustments necessary and we are very pleased with results.

The MXL 1006BP appears to have a slightly "brighter" sound than the MCA SP-2, even though the circuitry appears identical. A close examination of the supplied frequency response curves for the two mics provides a clue as to why. Where the SP-2 is essentially flat from 2000Hz - 3000Hz, the 1006BP has a slight "bump" from approximately 2200Hz to 3000Hz, up 2dB at approximately 2800Hz. The actual on-the-air difference between these two mics is very subtle and likely not to be noticed by all but the most discriminating listeners.

While I am very happy to have just a little more on the top end with the 1006BP and don't regret my purchase a bit, the SP-2 sure looks like a great value at approximately $60. One will need to get into the habit of turning off these mics when not in use in order to preserve the battery. Should the battery need replacing, it only takes a couple of minutes.

I believe the MXL 1006BP or the MCA SP-2 is an excellent choice for someone desiring the higher transmit audio quality of a condenser microphone at a lesser expense and reduced hassle.

Brad