Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | LDG AT-897 Autotuner Help

Reviews Summary for LDG AT-897 Autotuner
LDG AT-897 Autotuner Reviews: 53 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $239.00
Description: Bolt on wide range autotuner for the Yaesu FT-897. No cooling fan! Latching relays means no current draw once tuned. Provides access to CAT port for computer control of the radio.
More info: http://www.ldgelectronics.com/

You can write your own review of the LDG AT-897 Autotuner.

ON4KVK Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2017 05:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this tuner on my FT897. Tunes an end-fed longwire. Nevver missed a match (80 to 10m). Would i buy it again ? YES !

AA8TK Rating: 2/5 Dec 7, 2016 07:34 Send this review to a friend
It was OK until it wasn't  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used it for 5.5 years and it worked like a champ, tuning a variety of antennas. And then ... and then one day it sent a surge of current to my rig and blew a fuse in the CAT port and most likely destroyed a resistor. At least that is what the technician at Yaesu told me because he said that is a common problem with these tuners. He added that they see a lot of these tuner-induced problems.

So, I could send the rig back to the factory and the tuner back to LDG to get them both repaired. Or, I could use that repair money and buy a manual tuner. I opted for the latter. I will simply spend some time time determining the optimal settings, jot them down and refer to them when I switch frequencies. I may even save a few seconds otherwise spent waiting for the LDG to tune the rig.

Like a former girlfriend, it was good while it lasted, but now it's time for us to both move on.

W5GNB Rating: 4/5 Nov 7, 2015 09:35 Send this review to a friend
It's OK....I guess....  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Nothing to brag about as far as tuning something like a Long Wire but for wide-banding a simple dipole on 80-Meters or similar it works very well.
I noticed it is actually made by LDG Electronics so the tuner addition for the FT-897 rig must have been an after thought.
No complaints here as far as it "Working" but it is NOT an All Band, All Impedance, Random wire tuner. For that service you need to get an old boat anchor Johnson Matchbox or such.

KA4KOE Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2013 16:39 Send this review to a friend
Looks promising  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only used the tuner once since I purchased it second hand along with the FT897D. I hooked up a double banana to PL259 adapter and simply ran two 20' wires inside my house. I did NOT use the recommended balun. The tuner tuned everything from 80-6 meters....no kidding. I've yet to take it to the field as I am awaiting delivery of a LiIon battery.

KJ4DKT Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2013 17:01 Send this review to a friend
GREAT COMBO  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the 897 tuner on both my 857d and 897d. No problems if you hook it up correctly. 5 yrs no problems. Another LDG satisfied customer.

CR7000 Rating: 0/5 Jun 25, 2012 13:31 Send this review to a friend
Get The FC-30  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Please get the FC-30

I had the AT-897 and it was so random

I could tune it on a frequency, and the swr would be minimum

Tune around and return to the same frequency, press tune and i get a different reading

No consistency at all, even after many hours trying

Its nothing else in the setup

Got the FC-30, so solid and reliable

Get the one that was made to work with the radio, not a cheap copy that will not function the way it should

Very cheaply made, and so random its unusable, even on different aerials

Use FC-30 on same setup = no problems

WA0ZZG Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2012 07:08 Send this review to a friend
Good Basic Tuning Unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The actual tuning portion is a standard LDG switched 'L' network, with latching relays. The components are rated for 100W within a specified tuning range. It can still tune outside this range, but power should be reduced. It will tune an 8' wire and a screwdriver stuck in the ground on 20M as long as I stay around QRP.
The controller is radio specific. Only works on any version of the '897. Any other radio shuts it down. It is NOT fully automatic. Only tunes when asked to. Will gladly just sit there with a bad SWR.
The case is very basic painted aluminum. Not expected to be waterproof but should take a lot of banging around. Should be cheap to get painted case parts. Ends up being the bottom of the radio when carried around.
Never had any problem with RF messing up the controller, but the radio would lock up. I ended up using a 6' long coax jumper coiled into a tight loop between them to keep it clean.
These type of tuners clatter away while tuning. Not a problem.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2011 18:55 Send this review to a friend
Just works and works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
Sure wish LDG could have matched the FT-897D case for size, just to make it look a little better, but this tuner works amazingly well under a great diversity of antennas. Even took it to the office, which has a discone antenna 28mhz-1200mhz and the AT-897 tuned it up on 10 meters and has been giving me lots of fun DX on 28.4 at lunch time these past three weeks. I have three different LDG tuners and they've never given me a bit of trouble. Highly recommended ! Bob KK8ZZ

VK7HDX Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2011 12:47 Send this review to a friend
Usual LDG high standards  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
No problems here... Just plug in and play.
And that's what we are all looking for.

Karl
VK7HDX

K8RBW Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2011 20:18 Send this review to a friend
LDG Sets the Standard  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first experience with LDG dates back to building the tuner based on their mid-1990s QST article. With advancing age and declining dexterity, my building days are gone; nonetheless, I have purchased a number of their products since then. They have never let me down, always providing first-rate merchandise. Their AT-897 (non Plus) was no exception and was a stellar performer during several trips to Hawaii, providing great matches from a hotel room as well as on the beach. It recently malfunctioned so I sent it to LDG to be repaired. Today I received a box with a tuner in it. The invoice stated that they had replicated the problems I described with my AT-897 and it was not repairable. I was stunned to find that they had sent me a replacement AT-897 Plus gratis. I've always been quite happy with the products and service provided by most producers of amateur radio products. LDG stands with the best of them.
Mni tnx to Dwayne, Jennifer and the entire LDG team.
Vy 73,