Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | LDG AT-897 Autotuner Help

Reviews Summary for LDG AT-897 Autotuner
LDG AT-897 Autotuner Reviews: 53 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $239.00
Description: Bolt on wide range autotuner for the Yaesu FT-897. No cooling fan! Latching relays means no current draw once tuned. Provides access to CAT port for computer control of the radio.
More info: http://www.ldgelectronics.com/

You can write your own review of the LDG AT-897 Autotuner.

W4JAH Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2010 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Works perfect  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Works Perfect, very fast and tunes every thing that I have thrown at it. Great Job LDG

N2CSA Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2010 04:52 Send this review to a friend
Will Tune Spaghetti  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought a FC-897D and AT897 for my Go-Kit. It was pressed into service for PSK-31 when my IC-746PRO needed a trip for repairs. I added the LDG 4:1 balun to the FC-897/AT897 combination and worked this set-up into a 112' random wire configured as an inverted L. The AT897 tunes 6 through 160 meters. During a winter storm the wire was coated with 3" of snow and ice. The AT897 tuned it.

KE5LDO Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2010 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent repair of AT-897  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently had to send this tuner in for repair.
They replaced repaired the cables, replaced the
Resistor R14, replace J8 and J10 DIN connectors, Staightened the pins on the CAT - Din 8 connector and replaced missing screws an "friend" had removed and lost when installing it as a mobile rig. He had removed from the radio instead of leaving that alone. I was not there at the time to supervise. They also replaced the cables AND shipped back to me at NO CHARGE!

I compliment LDG on this practice. I tried to pay them and they said, " No, they could not duplicate the problem." I will be testing it out this weekend. Thanks, LDG!! I am a customer for life!!

NU1H Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2010 19:07 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using this tuner for the past 3 years with no issues whats so ever... I have used this tuner with many different antennas and verticals. I had the FC30 tuner for about a week before i returned it to HRO and exchanged it with the ldg tuner... The only issues i had over time was the antenna connection on the back came loose, and that was due to connecting and disconnecting all the different antennas over time. I would buy another LDG tuner and would recommend this tunner.

K7RFW Rating: 3/5 Jan 24, 2010 18:22 Send this review to a friend
Worked for a while, smoked, poor repair job. => UPDATE  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the LDG AT-897 at Dayton 2007 to complement the FT-897D that I bought at the same time and I used it a couple of times to fine tune my Buddipole on 80 meters (shortened antennas are VERY narrow banded) with good reports. After several uses, it started to continuously tune and had to be stopped and eventually smoked (100 watts at 12 feet). LDG said that RF probably got inside and fried something (and it did) so I sent it back to LDG for repair.

I checked and saw where it was repaired when I put it back on the radio, and did not use it again until a month ago when I decided I wanted to try and use the Buddipole for 40 meter RTTY and voice (top end voice being about 3:1 and RTTY 1.4:1). Not only could it not tune (it did try), but one of the SO-259 connectors was very loose. While it did work very well for a while, I am not very happy with the repair and since it costs to send it back, I think I will just write it off as a lost cause instead of trying again. Maybe I will take it into work and see if it is something simple that I can fix.
*********
\
UPDATE: My MFJ Intellituner stopped working, so I had to go to work since I wanted to do the RTTY contest. Tightened up the connectors and some other screws, touched up a few questionable solder spots, hooked up the wires (but did not fasten it to the radio this time) and it worked, including the feed-through to the computer which did not since the repair. The Bird said I was doing 3.2:1 on 40 meters and 2.8:1 on 20 meters but the radio said I had 1:1 on both bands. Kind of hard to say how it was doing but had Aruba on 40 and Connecticut on 20 from Northern Utah with 75 watts, so I guess it works. (a 120 foot horizontal delta up 25 feet, feed with 30 feet of Radio shack TV twin lead to a 4:1 balun, and 25 feet of RG-8x to the watt meter).

M3VXJ Rating: 1/5 Sep 8, 2009 06:52 Send this review to a friend
What's that smell?  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
That'll be a coil burning out. Returned and repaired under warranty. Burnt out again within 2 minutes on 20m and I can't get the smell out of the shack.

Until the problems it had been performing pretty well. Off it goes back again. I'm very disappointed. Would not purchase again and would not recommend.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2009 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Tunes almost anything  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Earlier, I suggested that this tuner worked fine but was too ugly to look at. I bought another one, and either LDG has changed the size, styling and color a little or I'm just getting old and blind.. regardless, the version I bought works wonderfully, touching up settings on the somewhat mismatched 80/40 W2AU dipole and the MA5B beam.. I've not tried it with a long wire and the RBA-4:1 balun, but I have no doubt that with LDG's long history of quality design, it will work 100% when I'll be using it in FL in December. I've ventured off into MFJ auto tuners, and the stuff is just crap. Go with LDG.. it just works day in and day out.

JR3TVH Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2009 08:50 Send this review to a friend
Greater performance for its size  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been used along the manual.
Cable this ATU to connect longer verticals and dipole of higer harmonic or lower harmonic antennas. Just press the button (unlike IT-100 there is no tuning button on the front panel)
and it tunes well enough performance for the compact size. I had imported to use this one and some compact LDG tuners,I just mind when repairment is needed.
Once the one use longer wire or tubes, this tuner can tune and find the right resonated position.

AF2RF Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2009 11:39 Send this review to a friend
Works better than I expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the LDG AT-897 because it is said to work better than the unit yaesu sells. Well I cant compare the two, but the LDG works fast and properly. I have an L shaped 20M dipole at 10M height feed with 10M of LMR-400 type cable, and the LDG tunes it from 40M to 10M with an SWR below 1.5:1 on all bands. It doesnt make it work on 6 or 80, but would you really expect such an antenna to present a reasonable load on those bands?

KN8A Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2009 15:55 Send this review to a friend
Cable it right, and you're golden.  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's all about the cables. Wire it wrong, or pay no attention to how tight the connections are and it'll not work well. Make sure the connections are tight, and that the grounds are secure, and it works just as advertised.

I find that it'll tune anyting I ask it to, but if the the cables are loose, or the connectors in the tuner are loose, then it's really finicky.

I have a 160M full wave loop, a 102+ foot G5RV, and a 33 ft vertical, and the LDG can make any of them acceptable to the 897d. Of course, the loop is best on 160 and 80, and the G5RV on 40 and above, but the LDG always makes the chosen antenna come alive.

I also have an MFJ 949c, and it will work if you twiddle enough, but the LDG is sheer luxury.

Finally, I also use a buddistick, and the LDG is just right to finish the tuning.

I can't conceive of a better buy for the money than the LDG-897.

73.