Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Amateur Electronic Supply AES PCL-1 Pro Communications Speaker Help

Reviews Summary for Amateur Electronic Supply AES PCL-1 Pro Communications Speaker
Amateur Electronic Supply AES PCL-1 Pro Communications Speaker Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $19.99
Description: 4", 8 ohm, 20 watt rated, 300 Hz-5000 Hz, full magnatic shielding, 5" w x 4.3" h x 3.2" d, 1.7 lbs.

You can write your own review of the Amateur Electronic Supply AES PCL-1 Pro Communications Speaker.

W4KVW Rating: 4/5 Dec 10, 2012 14:05 Send this review to a friend
Nice & Loud audio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I do NOT even remember how I came to own this speaker but it has a NICE sound & can be cranked up with plenty of volume.I use it only on my 11 meter radios but I sounds much better than any of the internal speakers does not rattle or distortion. Quiet an impressive little speaker inside the box when I took the case off for inspection as well.I think it came from a SK Estate that I purchased & I think I'll keep it around because it works great.

WA4NUN Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2007 14:55 Send this review to a friend
No longer available  Time owned: more than 12 months
After two years these guys are still going strong and all three still sound great. They check in at 1.914 pounds, pretty stout for a mobile speaker. Wanted to pick up a spare for future use today, but sad to say AES no longer carries them

K7RCB Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2005 22:28 Send this review to a friend
Good buy!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought my first one to use for my mobile installation. Hooked it up in the house to test. Sounded so much better that the stock, built-in speaker. Decided to use it in the house, so I had to buy a second one for the mobile installation.

Very good sounding speaker for the price.

K6FYY Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2005 21:40 Send this review to a friend
Solid sound, solid construction  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not a small unit, but it doesn't sound that way either. A far cry from the tinny communications speakers we've all grown accustomed to. It's almost twice the size of the MFJ cleartone speaker for example, so you need some room in your vehicle.
I tucked under the driver seat, and it still sounds good.

Recommended.

W9CSL Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2005 20:16 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Sounding Speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased this speaker a week or so ago, and am very pleased with the quality of the sound. It is being used with a IC-2100HN 2 Meter Rig, now the hams that I know sound very natural, just like they are in the room with me.

I also appreciate the sturdy construction, and the good simple lines, it just looks good in the shack.

The fact that it sells at a good price dosen,t hurt anything!

K8WTR Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2005 19:01 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only had this since earlier today, but I love it. It has an appropriate range for communications, 300 to 5000 hertz. It has plenty of volume capability and good sound quality. I am using it on a TM-271A Kenwood, which does not need an external, but I am used to using one from the past. This has a home here for a long time to come.

WA4NUN Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2005 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Good value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am currently using mine on an Icom 718, as the internal speaker in most equipment leaves a lot to be desired. I switched from the Drake MS-3. This one is at least as good if not better. It is about one fourth the size of the old Drake speaker. The speaker does not resonate the metal case as the Drake did. It does tend to mellow the noise without muffling the speech on SSB. From the size, quite small, one would expect it to sound tinny, but it does not. The swinging hanger has 3 long slots to assist in mounting for mobile or other use. The hanger also has decent thumb screws as well as screwdriver slots for serious lock down. The hanger also gives one the ability to adjust the hearing angle that works best in the shack. I bought two more to accomodate my kenwood 820 and the Icom 2 meter rig that is in route. Now I have three speakers that will give the same sound quality or better that fit in less space as the one that is being pulled out of service. Well made, no plastic. I would guess 1.5 pounds or nearly .7 kilo. There may indeed be better but I doubt very serious at this price. That is why I give it a 5. I value performance to price.

NL7W Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2004 02:59 Send this review to a friend
AES PCL-1 Speaker is a Winner.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great communications speaker! I carefully took mine apart and added a small amount of fibrous damping material; I found it to be a real winner in the shack and mobile. It isn't quite in the same league as my JBL pro series bookshelf speaker, but it shouldn't be when their 5X the price. Go for it -- you won't be disappointed. 73.

WB9YCJ Rating: 4/5 Mar 23, 2004 06:32 Send this review to a friend
To much high end "roll-off"  Time owned: more than 12 months
Designed as a noise fighting speaker so the high-end freq response seems rolled off.
You cant really enjoy SWLing and BCB fidelity. Very suitable as a "comm" speaker though.

KR3DX Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2004 00:04 Send this review to a friend
Well worth the price!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've tried a lot of speakers over the years including Motorola and General Electric speakers designed for use with their trunk mounted radios. None of them have been as good as the AES PCL-1. It is solidly built, no rattles or resonances or vibrations. You can crank it up LOUD and the sound quality is just as good as when the volume is turned down. It's rated for 20 watts but delivers plenty of volume with 1 watt of audio. Good freq response for communications use. I use one in the shack for my HF rig and I just bought another one to use with my VHF-UHF mobile radio. Good quality Euro-built speaker and the enclosure is made in USA (no Chinese or Taiwanese or Korean junk).

Denny