Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond SG-2000HD Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond SG-2000HD
Diamond SG-2000HD Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: The Diamond SG2000HD Super Gainer is a high performance 2 meter mobile antenna. It is a 7/8 wave double center fed antenna providing 5.2 dBi gain. This antenna can handle up to 250 watts. VSWR: 1:1.5.

This antenna is approximately 62.5 inches (1.6 m) high. The antenna is black and silver. The connector type is UHF (for PO mount).

You can write your own review of the Diamond SG-2000HD.

KG8Q Rating: 3/5 Oct 24, 2013 11:26 Send this review to a friend
Not a game changer  Time owned: more than 12 months
From early on in my ham life my elmer would tell me "kid, it's hard to beat a quarter wave". With respect to mobile antennas I know that's true. Another would tell me "there's no magic there" regarding mobile whips. Well I didn't listen, well no it just took me a while to listen. Before setting out on a cross country trip I wanted to be sure that I was getting the best bang for my buck with the 1/4 wave. I did a horse race with 3 antennas: the SG2000 / Hustler cg-144 / and the venerable straight 1/4 wave I assembled from a stainless whip and a nmo base. With a fixed station about 17 miles away I tried each with 10 watts. The only difference was the Hustler was side mounted on the vehicle with a ball mount. The SG2000 and 1/4 wave were on the top of the vehicle, center of the roof, fed with a drilled in NMO mount.The vehicle was a modest Ford Escape but with substantial roof area. The reasoning here was that is was hard to in-vision someone top mounting a cg-144 seeing that it is 7' tall. The signal reports were:

1/4 wave - S3 and 1/2
sg2000 - S4
cg-144 - S2 to S2 and 1/2

The vehicle was turned in an arc to accommodate the CG-144 to try and take advantage of any directivity that it may have had. S2 and 1/2 was what we were able to achieve. The receiving station had an analog s-meter. For all practical purposes, half of s-unit or about a dB is most certainly not worth $90 especially when you can assemble a 1/4 wave for under $20 perhaps less if you have "stuff" laying around. Another thing to keep in mind is that the performance of the Diamond will surely decline if you mount it off to one side or another not fully taking advantage of the image plane. There is certainly no magic when it comes to mobile whips. Another moral of the story is bigger is not necessarily better.

LU1HQV Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2006 13:52 Send this review to a friend
..It's a keeper!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Somebody broke my trustee hustler vhf antenna... I change for diamond.. woooowww!! I mean.. Did I have antenna before??
This antenna is just GREAT!!!! I hit San Jose from my house in Vallejo (more than 50 miles)..
I'm really happy and my humble yaesu ft 1802 more.. finally can put all the power in a very good antenna...

AH6RR Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2005 23:39 Send this review to a friend
Ya can't go wrong  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using my SG-2000HD for a little over a year now. All I can say is WOW I can hit repeters 70 miles away with 10 watts no problem. Ya can't go wrong.

Roland AH6RR

W1CAR Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2004 09:03 Send this review to a friend
Wow  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this antenna to replace an aging Opek high-gain dual bander that was literally falling apart. I've only had it for a week, but I will say that I noticed a difference in signal gain as soon as I installed it. Even down in RF trenches and valleys, I am able to get into repeaters that I never heard before.

Couple this antenna with an Icom V-8000 (as I have) and you will have the ultimate mobile 2 meter FM combination. It is sturdy and formidable, looks nice and isn't top-heavy like some other antennas I've used. I use it with the Diamond K702M Mag-mount (even though they say not to) and I've had no problems thus far.

PY1BR Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2003 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I also highly recommend this antenna. The first mobile trip I made with the SG2000HD I could contact stations that would be absolutely impossible due to the topography of the region. Outstanding performance! I used to operate with a dual band and thereís a huge difference (in 2 meter). The guys I was talking to were astonished to hear me in the middle of the mountains, mobile. So, what else could we ask for?
Also, itís a beautiful piece, nice material and it looks really high quality.

AK9S Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2003 17:39 Send this review to a friend
Effective mobile antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased a SG-2000HD to replace my NR2C mobile antenna. The first thing I noticed was that the SG-2000HD has a wider base than many of the smaller Diamond mobile antennas. It is built to be one tough mobile antenna.

The benefits of this antenna over the NR2C is that it won't trigger the hinged tilt mechanism at 70 mph+ highway speeds, even with a head-on wind. The extra gain appears to help, although hard to tell. I did notice that received signals have less fluctuation with the SG-2000HD, which gives you more of a base station feel from your mobile.

I have transmitted with 150+ watts without any problems, and I'm able run simplex reliably for 35-45 miles with base stations using omni-directional antennas. One word of caution, DO NOT USE THIS ANTENNA WITH ANY DIAMOND MAGNET MOUNT!!

If you do, you will loose the antenna and mount with any appreciable head wind at 70 MPH highways speeds. I lost it going 65 MPH passing an 18-wheeler because of the air turbulance. I now use a triple magnetic mount that you can purchase from any ham fest.

I highly recommend this antenna. The extra cost of the SG-2000HD over other Diamond antennas is worth every dime once you see how the antenna is constructed. They didn't skimp on materials or quality producing this one.