Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Piexx IF-10C Computer Interface for Kenwood TS140S/680S Help

Reviews Summary for Piexx IF-10C Computer Interface for Kenwood TS140S/680S
Piexx IF-10C Computer Interface for Kenwood TS140S/680S Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $89
Description: After-market replacement for Kenwood's discontinued IF-10C, used to interface TS140S or TS680S with a computer. The Piexx board includes level converters for direct connection to a serial port.
More info: http://www.piexx.com

You can write your own review of the Piexx IF-10C Computer Interface for Kenwood TS140S/680S.

WB7SWB Rating: 4/5 Jan 9, 2013 22:35 Send this review to a friend
Does what its supposed to  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this thinking it will enable me to operate my rig remotely from the warmth of my house, rather than my cold garage shack. I've yet to figure out how to make all that work, but this piece seems to be doing what its supposed to, primarily frequency and mode control of the TS-140. I've had the rig since it was new, but always thought computer control would just be a distraction, whether thats true, remains to be seen. I gave this a 4 primarily because of the difficulty I had in installing it. As indicated in an earlier review, the jacks for CN8 and CN9 were both about 1/16" too wide. I was able to force them in, thinking I didn't want to modify anything in case I needed to return it. I will probably do as the other guy did and grind them down so they fit, now that I'm satisfied with its performance. I was also bothered that the screws they supplied to secure the circuit board to the chassis were a size too big. I enlarged the holes with a 5/64" bit (with the radio upside down so no shavings would fall into the radio.) I'm using it with a serial to USB adapter that came with my Nomic interface. With HRD it was pretty much plug and play. With FLRIG, I had to tweak a couple of the settings. Now for a little light reading on HRD remote operation...

VE7IG Rating: 4/5 Jul 17, 2012 18:01 Send this review to a friend
Would be great with a connector.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've recently been playing around with an old TS680S, which I like because it has no menus!! Since the Kenwood interface is no longer available I purchased this one from Piexx and it works fine. As others have said, it would be better with a connector to mount on the back of the radio instead of a long flat cable coming out under the bottom plate but it does work. The TS680S has minimal radio control functions available and HRD is useless on it, the version from HRD 5.1 seems to be the same one for the TS140S which is the same radio without 6m. You don't get 6m on HRD. TRX Manager is better and gives you 6m but costs. The computer I'm using with this setup has a serial COM connector so there were none of the problems others have found using USB to serial converters.

KB5IAV Rating: 4/5 Feb 7, 2010 19:52 Send this review to a friend
Great interface for the TS-140S once you get past the quirks  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
When I started working digital modes, I wanted to use the rig control capabilities of FLDIGI, so I purchased this board from Piexx. I found that once I got past the quirks of USB to Serial interfaces and my Dell Latitude Laptop, it worked quite well.

One issue I had was since my laptop doesn't have serial ports, I had to use a Belkin USB to Serial adapter. I had problems with the interface frequently locking up and the software losing contact with the rig. I tried two different software packages and had the same problem.

What finally solved the problem was plugging the serial to USB interface into a different USB port on the laptop, and now everything works fine with no lock ups. There is some lag between the software and the rig when I change a frequency or setting, but that is OK. It's very convenient to be able to control the rig from the laptop and thanks to this interface, I'm now able to do so.

My only complaint is the ribbon cable hanging out of the back of the rig. I think this could have been done better such as a connector on the rig and a serial cable, but it works fine.

If you have a TS-140S or TS-680S and you want to control it from your computer, this device will work very well once you get past the quirks I ran across.

GD7ARS Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2009 01:34 Send this review to a friend
Does exactly as it should!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought lead fron States, good quick service. Very easy to fit & brings older radios up to date with Computer control. 1st class device!!
Been using it over 12 months without any problems.

ZL1ATB Rating: 2/5 Apr 27, 2008 20:06 Send this review to a friend
poorly made unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this unit last month and it duely arrived. It works . But the plugs where too big to fit into my 680s main board by a few mm about 1/16th each side. I had to shave a little off each side of both plugs being very carefull not to get close to the metal pins.
I emailed Piexx to let them know there was a problem but they didnt bother to reply.
Thats a shame really an otherwise good product.

M3OJT Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2007 11:59 Send this review to a friend
this device put my old kenwood ts140s up to top level standard  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am new to ham radio, but old to radio servicing & repairs, marine radio installer in the past. This unit is very easy to install, & works very well on HRD, making your radio fully c,a,t, command, ie, running your radio from your pc, on line, or from laptop when you are mobil.

A GOOD AD ON TO YOUR OLDER RADIO.
73sssssssssssssm3ojt.

ZS1AN Rating: 4/5 May 5, 2003 07:31 Send this review to a friend
Inexpensive upgrade brings TS140S/680S into the 21st centruy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having decided that contesting is fun, I wanted to upgrade my TS-680S with a computer interface so that my logging program (Writelog) could pick up mode and band automatically, avoiding the problem of incorrectly logging contacts at 3 am after 18 hours solid operation.

The TS-680S (and it's cousin the 140S) did not come standard with a computer interface but required the IF-10C and level converter optional accessories from Kenwood. These are not longer available, so I bought the Piexx replacement instead. As a bonus it includes on-board level converters so a separate level converter is not necessary.

The product was shipped efficiently and arrived in South Africa about 2 weeks after order. Installation requires removing the case of the TS680S, screwing the board into the place provided for the original IF-10C and plugging two connectors into the sockets. No soldering or metalwork required, only a phillips screwdriver.

The interface includes a ribbon cable with a 9-pin RS232 connector. This cable is fed out of a slot in the case near the antenna connector. I would have preferred a socket to fit into the available socket hole on the rig (as used by the original IF-10C), and a separate connecting cable, as this would make it easier to use the rig portable without worrying about the trailing ribbon cable! This is the only fault and the reason it does not score full marks.

Powered up, plugged in computer, opened Writelog, entered the serial port settings and bingo - the operating frequency and mode are displayed and automatically captured in the log. Information is not transferred while tuning, but shortly after coming to rest on a frequency - I suspect this is because the processor in the 140/680 can't do too much at once, but this isn't a problem as the frequency and mode are updated within about a second of stopping on a frequency. The interface also allows computer control of the rig - setting frequencies, mode, etc. and doubtless much more. It uses the standard Kenwood command set so should be compatible with most software.

A good, no-fuss product which works as advertised, recommended for contesters and DX-peditioners, or just for owners who want bring these excellent value rigs into the 21st century. It's a lot cheaper than upgrading to a rig that includes computer control! Versions are available for other Kenwood rigs, see the website.