Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | Mizuho PF-1A Help

Reviews Summary for Mizuho PF-1A
Mizuho PF-1A Reviews: 1 Average rating: 2.0/5 MSRP: $approx. 22 (2,500 yen)
Description: Internal audio peak filter kit for P-7DX and P-21DX CW transceivers
More info: http://www.mizuhoradio.com

You can write your own review of the Mizuho PF-1A.

KU4QD Rating: 2/5 May 6, 2003 01:07 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing: filter rings terribly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The PF-1A is a kit which adds an audio peak filter to the Mizuho P-7DX and P-21DX CW portable transceivers. I have a Mizuho AP-1D Audio Processor and the peak filter in that unit is excellent. My P-21DX does not have the filter, but when I had the chance to buy a P-7DX with the PF-1A installed I was really excited about how much the filter was likely to help. Sadly, I've been quite disappointed.

The peak filter tends to ring. The little speaker in the P-7DX is just too small and too tinny to begin with, and it turned the filter's ringing into an incredibly annoying noise. For example, tonight I could receive quite a few strong signals, some as much as S9+20, and the RF attenuator did help. Still, to adjust the PF-1A so that I could copy a single signal without it howling at me took some doing or else was just impossible.

To be honest, I am very unimpressed with the internal peak filter. I almost believe my P-7DX would be better off without it. It certainly doesn't work anywhere near as well as the one in my AP-1D. I still think the P-7DX and P-21DX are neat little CW rigs, but definitely plan on an outboard speaker or headphones, and assume you aren't going to get much out of the filter if you have it. There are times it does help if carefully adjusted, and since it's not totally useless I did rate the PF-1A a "2" instead of a "1" or "0".

I had an opportunity to buy an unbuilt PF-1A for my P-21DX through a friend in Japan. I turned it down, and I am glad I did.