Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | ZETAGI T.M 535 ATU Help

Reviews Summary for ZETAGI T.M 535 ATU
ZETAGI T.M 535 ATU Reviews: 5 Average rating: 2.8/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: H.F ATU 500WATTS

You can write your own review of the ZETAGI T.M 535 ATU.

M0JIY Rating: 2/5 Mar 4, 2009 13:42 Send this review to a friend
Not very good at all!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Alright up to 200w. After that you can hear it arc inside the box and the SWR jumps around. The tuner goes out of calibration as well with too much power, I suspect because the innards are welding themselves together.
The meter is not too bad and the two aerial outputs are useful.
You get what you pay for. With amateur radio equipment in England you pay through your nose but if you skimp you end up with an expensive door-stop. Don't buy this piece of rubbish: you will regret it!

2E1MPC Rating: 0/5 Feb 3, 2009 13:33 Send this review to a friend
Steer clear of this cb radio crap  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The accuracy of the power meter was a joke 50 watts input on the 50 watt range read 35 ,on the 500 watt scale it read 50. on the 500 watt scale it still read 50 watts when i applied 100 watts , it read 150 when i applied 400 watts into a good dummy load , when i applied more than 50 watts the swr reflect meter dropped backwards past the rest mark ???????? , I have recalibrated the meter with the internal pots but still cant get an accurate power reading over 100 watts on the 500 scale and the meter on swr still drops below the rest mark ,Come back Made From Junk,,,,,,,, Zetagi stick to the low end of the cb radio market

AI4WM Rating: 4/5 Sep 25, 2007 17:01 Send this review to a friend
Better quality than MFJ  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this tuner (ok, antenna impedance matching unit) used about a year ago. The first thing I did was open it to see why the complaints of problems using 300 to 500 watts. Well, like the competitors (of similar quality and price like mfj) I don't think I'd put more than 200 to 300 watts on it even though it is quite a bit heftier than comparable MFJ or Vectronics. The first thing is the plastic coil form. Zetagi built a nice large inductor, mounted it vertically to reduce losses from the steel chassis and then compromised the design by using a plastic coil form. Being a solid form makes for mechanical stability, but sacrifices cooling. Still better than most of the other small tuners that mount coils horizontally and close to the steel chassis. Zetagi's choice for variable capacitors is also better than the competitors. Larger and better plate to plate spacing.

This unit has SO-239's for 2 antennas and an external dummyload as well as combination banana plug binding posts for balanced line or a wire antenna and ground (earth). All switched from the front.

the rotary switch for inductance could have been a 360 degree switch. As it is if the need arises to go from least to most inductance the switch must be rotated through all positions. Not a problem, just convenience.

The large dual needle Power/ SWR meter is nice also.

This unit works well on both of my HF rigs. I usually run about 100 watts and the TM-535 handles it well. I have used this on a wire, G5RV and a 40M dipole. About the only problem is on 160M. Then again any tuner should with the dipole I use. However, I also have an MFJ 944. The 944 will arc at about 60 watts on 80 and slightly less on 160. The Zetagi does not arc and matches to about a 9:1 on 160 and as good as 3:1 on 80 at 75 watts. I use tube gear so 9:1 is still not good, but 3:1 will not kill the rig. On the G5RV I get SWR of 2:1 or better 10 thru 80 meters.

I have not experienced heat problems.

Average metering seems quite accurate when compared with my URM-120 thru-line meter.
I do not have a calibrated peak reading meter, but comparison with my modified W-4 seems to match.

AI4WM

SM5JAB Rating: 3/5 Nov 7, 2003 09:48 Send this review to a friend
OK, but not up to specified 500W  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this for several years now and have come to get too friendly with its shortcomings:(

First of all: If using about 100-150 watts then there are absolutely no problems. Of course one shouldnt crank out 150 watts into an high SWR but that goes for any other tuner as well (doesnt it?).

Problems: Above 250W the problems appear. With SSB I get frequent arcing between a capacitor and the enclosure walls. Above 250W the coils starts to warm up and eventually melt: I am not sure when this happened but several turns on the plastic core had shorted into each other. Worst of all: When using the balanced output the tiny toroid balun transformer heats up A LOT. I pushed about 300-400 watts into the unit with SWR 1:1 and the toroid started fuming. It heats up very quickly, beware!

All in all: If you are in dire straits and use only about 100W then dont hesitate. If not in this category chose something else.

I'm off for something heavier, that works all the time...

2F9MS Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2003 09:46 Send this review to a friend
Realistically priced  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using the Zetagi ATU for 2 weeks now. It has good build quality, extremely accurate and very simple to use. The unit is also reasonably priced. I will update this review after a month or so.