Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Maldol AH series antennas Help

Reviews Summary for Maldol AH series antennas
Maldol AH series antennas Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $45.95
Description: Monoband loading coils which use a common telescopic whip. BNC connector, for use with rigs like the Yaesu FT-817, Tokyo Hy-Power HT-750, Mizuho MX series handhelds, and other portable QRP rigs.
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/maldol_antenna.htm

You can write your own review of the Maldol AH series antennas.

WA2EGP Rating: 2/5 Jan 17, 2017 19:17 Send this review to a friend
off frequency  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used Maldol antennas for a while with my FT-817. Always seemed to have a high SWR on the internal bridge. They did seem to work pretty well compare to some other portable antennas though. Once I got a decent antenna analyzer (MFJ-226), I decided to check them out All of them were off frequency, usually high. No matter what type of counterpoise used, they didn't budge much. I decided to open them up (you can unscrew the plastic piece from the BNC connector) and wind a new coil on each one. Their construction is quite sturdy and I like the telescoping whips which are stainless steel. Too bad they are made off frequency, really the only thing I found wrong with them, but a real deal breaker!

N9ESC Rating: 1/5 May 21, 2007 10:22 Send this review to a friend
Bad SWR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the 40 mtr and 20 mtr coil and whip. The swr was way high on my FT 817. I added the counterpoise, 1/4 wavelength, still the same thing. I hooked it up to a swr analyzer. The 40 meter coils center freq.(lowest swr) was 8.6 mhz and the 20 mtr coil's center freq was 16.2mhz. Not my idea of a good antenna for qrp. NO amount of playing with it and the counterpoise would get either coil down below 4 to 1 swr. Im returning them today.

N9ESC
Michael

KB9LNC Rating: 4/5 May 12, 2005 07:05 Send this review to a friend
AH-14  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
BAND CONDITIONS WERE ROTTEN DID MAKE ON CONTACT WITH A STAION IN MAINE FROM INDIANA WITH 817ND HOOK TO THE BNC CONNECTOR CANNOT SEEM TO GET A GOOD MATCH WHEN HOOKED DIRECTLY TO RADIO MATCH IS THE SAME WITH OR WITH OUT CONTERPOISE

HOPE TO GET IT TO WORK GOOD I REALLY LIKE THE SMALL FOOT PRINT OF THE ANTENNA NO TO GET THE 40 METER COIL FOR IT

N8SEX Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2003 15:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Antennas  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I highly recomen a 1/4 wave counterpoise, but they work great. Especially for receiving, it competed well against a 270 ft Delta loop. Impressed. I own the 40m and 20m. I was skeptical about the 40m, but it turns out thats the one I use the most with solid reports from my 817.

WB2DEX Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2003 15:22 Send this review to a friend
It Works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Actually a product of the "Daiwa" Co. these antennas do perform. The bands have been pretty poor lately so I have only been using it on 20M with my new FT817. The reports back are extremely good for something thats 3' tall and sticks out of the top of the rig. It will work with or without a counterpoise. Better with naturally. With an external power supply I was pleasantly surprised to find that the power cord supplied with the FT817 makes a perfect counterpoise for the antenna. One other point. The lower whip section of the antenna was rather tight when it arrived. And continued to get tighter with use. HRO told me to send it back to them and I would receive a replacement from the company (thats how I found out it was Daiwa). It took less then a week for the whole transaction to take place. A good experience all around.

KU4QD Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2003 23:56 Send this review to a friend
Nice solution for hiking or walking with an HF rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had used Tokyo Hy-Power's loading coils and antennas for a long time and lamented that they were only available on three bands: 6, 15, and 40m, to match their HT-750 SSB/CW handheld. I had long wished for something equivalent for my Mizuho HTs and the FT-817. The Mizuho antennas aren't made nearly as well and get wobbly with time. Most multiband solutions I found either worked poorly, were significantly bigger, or required tuning. Then along came Maldol and they solved my problem.

The Maldol antennas are almost identical to the Tokyo Hy-Power ones. They a solidly built monoband loading coils with a BNC connector at the base. A common telescopic whip can be used with any of the coils, meaning there isn't much to carry even if you are bringing several bands along. Maldol sells complete 20 and 10 meter setups, and then offers additional coils for 40 and 15. Sadly, they aren't doing the WARC bands, or at least not yet.

I've used the Maldol AH-14 extensively with my Mizuho MX-14S 20m SSB/CW HT. Does it work? As a receiving antenna, yes. As a transmitting antenna, with 2W output from the Mizuho, it needs just a little help. I clip a tuned counterpoise to the BNC connector and then, yes, I get out. I admit I probably look strange walking, talking on an HT, and dragging a counterpoise wire behind me, but heck, it works!

My only complaint is the price, and honestly, all antennas of this sort are expensive. It is actually cheaper to get the Tokyo Hy-Power setup directly from Japan than to buy equivalent Maldol products from your local ham dealer. Still, THP doesn't cover 10 or 20 meters and Maldol does. With first class construction, small size with the whip folded up, and an antenna that works, I do recommend these for someone who wants truly portable HF.