Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Hy-Gain AR-40 Help

Reviews Summary for Hy-Gain AR-40
Hy-Gain AR-40 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $280.00
Description: The AR-40 is for large FM-TV and compact communication antenna arrays up to 3 square feet wind load area.
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/products.php?prodid=ar-40

You can write your own review of the Hy-Gain AR-40.

KE5OQV Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2011 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Update of earlier review  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I raising the rating of my Hy-Gain Ar-40 rotator to 5. It has performed great during the last 9 months. Earlier concerns about weatherproof connections and/or poor quality workmanship were premature. The bottom line is that it works great and it's still working after 9 months exposure to Houston, Tx hot, humid weather.

VK3GMO Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2010 00:54 Send this review to a friend
AR22 version  Time owned: more than 12 months
I didn't realise the AR22 is the current AR40. I bought mine in the early 1960s/late 1950s to turn a Mosley TA-33 jr. I also didn't realise that the load was more than it was rated for using the mast mount. Other than having to reset North after a stormy windy day, it performed fine and did it job for many years flawlessly. Can't ask for more. It was a winning combination with the Ta-33jr and my homebrew 500 watt linear.

K8DXX Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2005 17:47 Send this review to a friend
Despite Abuse, It Worked  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these (then called the AR-22R) back in 1965. We didn't know that it was rated for 3.0 Sq. Ft. WHEN MOUNTED INSIDE THE TOWER (1.5 with the lower section/mast mount). I had also never heard of a thrust bearing. So, I mounted the AR-22R atop the "top section" of what I believe was Rohn 20 tower equipped with special roof mount legs. On this rotor I mounted a 7 foot steel mast (?.? Sq. Ft.), TH3JR tribander (3.0 Sq. Ft.) and a 10 element FM broadcast receive antenna. That rotor worked fine for 10 years (with one exception) until I sold it at a swap. The only problem would occur when the temperature got below -10 degrees F. As documented, the factory lubricant was known to freeze at that point.

Was I lucky or was that a far better rotor than advertised? Do they still make 'em that good? Given 40+ years as a ham, I think it was outstanding. Wish their CD-45 rotor was as reliable!

Bill / K8DXX

W2WRX Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2005 17:20 Send this review to a friend
It's no big rotor for what it was intended for...  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's a good rotor for the 3.0 sq.ft.antennas,as for what you pay for it and depends how you purchase it from,I got mine from a swap meet and paid $25.00 rotor and controller and less cables and cleaned it up and never had it repaired.As for performance,it was better than the light or H.D. ones for that you get from R.S.or other units for that application in that usage.It performed good when I had installed a 2 ea.9 element 2 meters M2 and 2 ea. UHF 40 element crossband satellites beam and one 4 element 2m Cushcraft beam as well and it took it with no problem what so ever ,even when the wind here where I live at 35 - 45 mph winds,it still handled and perform with ease,even it was already over the rated specification called for. But the facts is,it never broke down or stopped due to what I installed on it.It's a great unit for what it was intended for in that model and specs.It's been working and still performing since 5 yreas now,since I bought it .73's and happy new year.

W0RDS Rating: 2/5 May 9, 2003 09:11 Send this review to a friend
There are better choices for the money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
We purchased the relatively inexpensive AR-40 to rotate an MA5B beam and because it offered, at additional cost, mast mounting hardware. While we are still struggling to get the rotor controller to match beam headings, the rotor seems to rotate the antenna just fine. There were, and still are a few problems.

Instead of supplying a pre wired socket you are required to solder up the six wire pigtail. (The factory rep told me this was their NEW design) Because of its miniature size, wiring the unit was difficult and ultimately caused the rotor to fail and to be disassembled from the mast. I used a Mylex plug assembly and it has worked fairly well.

The rotor housing appears to be sand cast aluminum with no discernable protective coating. After 6 weeks in the air the rotor was so badly oxidized, I had to wire brush and apply a spray coating.

There are better, less expensive choices, such as the Yaesu G-450A etc.