Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | KK7UQ Model II Sound Card Interface Kit Help

Reviews Summary for KK7UQ Model II Sound Card Interface Kit
KK7UQ Model II Sound Card Interface Kit Reviews: 8 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $55.00
Description: Feature rich sound card interface kit. Fully isolated; compact size - fits in an Altoids (R) box; top mounted knob controls for TX and RX audio level; audio monitor and amplifier built into the interface; supports native FSK mode with second opto-isolator; no external power required; all cables removable; rig adaptation done in rig microphone/accessory cable - no jumpers to set.
More info: http://kk7uq.com

You can write your own review of the KK7UQ Model II Sound Card Interface Kit.

KJ5ES Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2007 12:01 Send this review to a friend
The Perfect Interface  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Let me start by giving you the bottom line: If you are searching for an amazing interface that sits at the top of the food chain, buy this product.

You can spend a lot more money and get a lot bigger product with a name brand on it and lots of fancy looks but the absolute truth is that you simply wont find a better (or even equal) product at any price. That’s a strong statement. No I don’t work for the company nor do they even have any idea I am speaking about their product. From one ham to another, if you are considering the KK7UQ interface, you are on the brink of a great choice…buy it, build it and love it. (By the way, I am using it with the Yeasu FT-897D)

OK now that all the hyperbola is out of the way let me be more specific. I will rate this product objectively in a few areas. Read on

KIT, PART and INSTRUCTION QUALITY: 10 out of 10
This kit is amazing. Easy to build, great instructions, perfect templates and high quality faceplates (photo paper prints). I went the Altoids Mint can route with mine and the template and instructions for cutting the can were absolutely perfect to within thousandths of an inch. I had to make a minor adjustment in the rear connector port to get it to close correctly but it nothing above what you would expect for an individual construction.

DESIGN and FUNCTION: 9.5 our of 10
This kit does what it says it will do and does it well. Everything worked perfect once I corrected a few hook-up errors that I made. I have worked allover the world with this thing and never had even the slightest problem. The strength of this kit is that unlike any commercial product that I am aware of, it allows you to adjust your waterfall level and your output power level right on the interface without making any adjustments to your computer or radio. Curt was kind enough to even send me the Yaesu cable end free of charge…I realize that you can’t expect him to do this all the time but it goes to show how thoughtful he is and how well thought out the kit is. So, why not a 10 out of 10?? Here is my ONLY complaint about this interface…the audio monitor level is not adjustable at the piezo transducer and my XYL hates listening to it. If I could twist a third knob and turn that down, this kit would earn an object rating of PERFECTION. This kit works and works well. You will not only not be disappointed; you will be delighted that you bought it.

CUSTOMER SERVICE: 11 out of 10
Curt went above and beyond to make me happy. He sent me the extra end at no charge, kept me up to date on my order status with emails and clearly understands the worries, apprehensions and concerns of kit-builders as is evidenced in his instructions.

SUMMARY:
Do I even need to say it? If you are weighing your options and making comparisons before you buy, stop it. Go order this kit and rest assured that you are getting the best interface that your PKS31 (and others) money can buy. Easy to build, fun to build, super easy to use and HIGHLY functional…even more so than the other commercial products you are comparing it to! You can’t go wrong!

Steve
KJ5ES

HS0ZGR Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2006 22:10 Send this review to a friend
A Joy to Use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
To get onboard PSK quickly, I had tried a simple direct-connect between the TS-570 and my laptop. That worked well until the laptop objected by freezing or shutting down, sometimes during qso's.

Realizing the need for soundcard-to-rig isolation, I researched the options out there but found them either too complex for a portable setup or somewhat lacking in features.

The comfortable middle ground was KK7UQ's Interface Model II. I selected it because of:

Total isolation of both audio lines, with pot adj of each

Two Opto-Isolator relays for both PTT (rts) and FSK (dtr)

Availability of kit parts -- difficult to find locally in HS-land

The only part I had to supply was the PC cabling, fashioned from mini-coax

Excellent documentation of the product -- top notch

The care spent in design and ensuring a handsome finish

Ease of ordering: 1-day shipment turn-around

The favorable reviews on eHam.net

The kit arrived in a week as promised and went together over a leisurely few days. Clint graciously included a free hard-to-find 13-pin accessory plug for the TS-570, along with the correct wiring method for recognizing digital xmit input to the acc plug by keying PKS: pin 9's PTT.

It worked flawlessly on the first try, but I later removed the voltage divider across the xmit's isolation transformer because my soundcard couldn't drive the rig enough.

What a joy to adjust the sound levels and override the PTT easily from this small unit...

VK4APN Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2005 21:50 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product - well thought out  Time owned: months
Excellent quality kit, well thought out, documentation top rate. If you have no need for the fsk switch section you can use as cw keyer.

W7TK Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2004 20:35 Send this review to a friend
flawless  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was the ole the papa bear sitting with Goldilocks.Had both cheaper and more expensive ones but this just fit right in. I am the fool they seek out for fool proof recommendations. I can make it work first time! With heavenly adjustable range. Got more railroad track comments with my 756 Pro II than before. Wish I could take the credit. I hope the group of interfaces I gave away find good homes. They weren't happpy here. But I'm smiling broadly now

Earl W7TK

AB7R Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2004 13:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent interface  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I started out with a Donner's interface. A good, simple device that does what its supposed to.

Then I wanted to try the Rigblaster Pro. Didn't like it.

Since I built my K2 station, I thought i'd give this unit a spin since it was a kit too. And with lots of features. Went together without a hitch but due to the set up I had, the Opto-Isolator was not enough and Clint sent me a solid state relay (got it in ONE day) for the PTT line and instructions for making a few minor mods to install it. Works SUPER! I really like the input and output level controls on the unit, very handy.

If you want a soundcard interface that provides audio control at your fingertips, and CW and FSK capability along with PTT, this is the unit to get. And it's fun to build.

73 and Happy New Year!
Greg
AB7R
Oak Harbor, WA

W6VY Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2003 11:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am replacing a Rigblaster because I wanted to try FSK and this interface has that capability.
It can also be used with any radio just by making a new plug in cable. The other real plus for me was the ability to adjust both the receive and transmit levels at the interface.

The kit has quality components and is very easy to put together. The manual is very complete and easy to understand.

In my opinion it is the best value out there right now.

Bob W6VY

VE4ABU Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2003 08:36 Send this review to a friend
Great Interface  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I have the new KK7UQ unit after (Trying a Defunked soap dish special).
Features that standout for me include:

The Fully isolated circuity ,Had rfi problems with my first home brew
direct connect interface.

Being in the Electrical trade I have used CAT5 cable in some very harsh
environments and was able to use an interconnect from the computer to
the rig of 25 feet,no rfi from the rig to sound card and no noise from
the copmuter to the rig. (On some modes we run the full gallon !!).

The Controls for both transmit and receive. This allows me to set the proper
audio settings right at the computer end of the interface .

For any one looking for a good interface at a good price this may be the
choice for you.

The downloadable manual is very well done easy to read easy to follow.

This kit was a joy to assemble even with my poor eyesight (62 years of over use)!

AL VE4ABU

W6WLB Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2003 19:59 Send this review to a friend
Fine Product, Great Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
One of the best kept secrets relative to sound card interfaces, is a fine product produced by Clint Hurd, KK7UQ. The newly released Model II interface provides a low cost, yet effective means of interconnecting the computer sound card to HF or VHF/UHF rigs.

I have the new KK7UQ unit after using the Rigblaster M-8 for 3 years and I consider the New Model II a distinct upgrade. Features that standout for me include:

Top mounted level controls for both transmit and receive. This allows you to avoid the constant tinkering with the sound card settings as you move from band to band or mode to mode.

Unlike my old Rigblaster M-8, this unit insures that there is NO common ground connections between the rig and sound card; therefore there is no possibility of common mode noise being injected into the audio signal.

The Model II includes a audio transducer and amplifier that allows you to monitor the audio signal on the "input side" of the rig.

The cost of KK7UQ interface is remarkably low. You can get the full kit for $55, The kit includes all parts for the circuit board assembly, the serial control cable and the bare rig control cable. You supply the standard stereo audio cables, the rig mike or accessory connector and the enclosure. You have couple of choices on enclosures, one being the small "Altoid"(R) candy box which results in a very unique package. Mine is packaged in a slightly larger 4.2"x 2.7"x 1.5" Eagle Plastics(R) enclosure. If you already have many of the needed components, you can purchase the complete design package, including full documentation,
the PC board and all needed drilling templates for less then 15 bucks. If you are "kit challenged", like me, Clint may offer fully assembled units upon specific request.

Curious?? Go take a look at Clint's web site and learn much more about this fine ham radio accessory. It gets a "FIVE" from me.