Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Mosley Classic 33 Help

Reviews Summary for Mosley Classic 33
Mosley Classic 33 Reviews: 33 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $620
Description: Heavy Duty 3 Element Tri-bander 1 Kw. Yagi
More info: http://www.mosley-electronics.com/amateur.htm

You can write your own review of the Mosley Classic 33.

SA3AYF Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2017 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Amazing - since 1974  Time owned: more than 12 months
My antenna was originally bought by my father (SK) in 1974 and put on the condo roof.
After being in use ever since in the hands of an other dear friend of the family it was given to me as a gift when I became a ham some 10 years ago.

The antenna is 43 years old and still performs like the champion workhorse it is !

Still the same bolts and nuts, the same traps (although an unfortunate case of qro-testing before my time has lead to renovation of the traps on the driven element).
Sitting on 15m AGL a sweep with the VNA shows that the antenna is spot on the specs from -74.
Unbelievable !

It helped med achieve my first DXCC (some contacts TBC) in only 4 weeks. Barefoot !
And that during the latter part of this summer of 2017 when conditions were absolutely horrible.
If you find one, buy it !

Even if you need to buy parts (yep, Mosley still makes the whole antenna and all parts) they are still a bargain.
Normally the saying is "they don´t make ém like that any more", well, they do actually.
Ask Mosley, they will do anything in their power to help. I wish other manufacturers would be as helpful as them...
And no, I do NOT work for or in any way is associated with them. I am one continent and one career away.
Now buy one and find out for your self, it will, treated right, virtually last you a lifetime.

Bet your transceiver on it !

VE3TCV Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2017 10:12 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this antenna used for $250 from a local Canadian Ham that moved into a townhouse with deed restrictions. By our estimates the antenna is probably 10-15 Years old, after a basic cleaning the antenna looked new with no corrosion. The antenna has a long boom which is great for 20M, my main concern was 15M and 20M and this antenna is simply a dream to operate on that band. Even using JT65 at 20W I can easily make contacts with VK stations even when propagation is not the greatest. The quality of the build is second to none, I have compared it with Cushcraft (downright scary) and Hygains and the Mosley puts them to shame. Everything on the antenna is overbuilt, when I opened the traps to clean them I was amazed at the wire gauge that is used in them.

Even though this antenna will tune 12M and 17M don't expect it to work well, I purchased the Mosley TW-31-XL and placed it on the same boom, this adds the 12/17/30M bands.

All in all this is a superb antenna, just remember that you can never go wrong with Mosley.

AE5ZE Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2015 14:45 Send this review to a friend
The Most bang for your buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine used in 2011 for $100, it had been stored in an attic for several years. I thought that I would have to rebuild it, but just assembled it and put it up. It was the main reason I got my DXCC in 2014. This is a heavy duty antenna, built to last. The Mosley tech support was great helping me with the assembly, no color markers.

W4TJW Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2014 07:05 Send this review to a friend
Best amplifier for the money!  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I was a fairly newly licensed amateur radio operator early in 2005 I was given a pair of cophased 2m yagis and a Mosley Classic 33. Only stipulation was I had to climb an unstable 55 foot Rohn 25 tower to retrieve them from a mast that had been bent 90 degrees by Hurrican Charlie the previous year. That Classic 33 was from the early to mid 70's. When I put up the antenna I only had a Radio Shack HTX-100 that would do 25w Max. My first DX contact was Brazil. My second was Raratonga in the South Cook Islands. My DXCC was earned using 100w or less using that beam almost exclusively. I sold it to a friend in 2007, as I was needing money. In its place I put up a Cushcraft A3S. NO COMPARISSON!! I ripped the thing down and bought back my old Mosley. I sold it again about 2 months ago, again to pay some bills. I purchased another last week and will have this one till I die. Best amplifier I could ever have! 73 and good DX.

KE6BB Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2013 23:03 Send this review to a friend
Best 3-El Yagi Ever!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a CL-33 from a friend in 1978. I have no idea how old it was, but he had it for many years. He lived near the ocean, so it had a lot of surface corrosion. I kept thinking I should take it apart and refurbish it, but I never got around to it. It just kept working and working. I had it up at about 30 feet, and was always very impressed. Although it was tuned for the phone portions of the bands, I used it primarily on CW and RTTY, and its bandwidth was so good that my TenTec Triton IV hardly noticed. I finally sold it in 1991 when I moved to an anti-antenna neighborhood. Never did take it down to refurbish it. I really miss it, but I'm glad they are back and making new ones. I would buy a new one in an instant if I could put it up, but at my age, climbing a tower is not going to happen.

KG4COQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2012 16:24 Send this review to a friend
Nice work MOSLEY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I paid 100 buks for a TA-33 Senior at a ham tailgater. Bought a Rohn 20 tower (39 ft) for 100 buks off Creggs List. Had Yeasu G-800SA rotor in storage along with 214 coax.
Just got it all installed Aug 4 2012.
Antenna works wonderfully !! From here in Tampa Bay to the Windy City report came back as 10-15 over 9. Using 90 watts.
My report to him was S-9 to 10.
My rig is a orignial IC-706.
Had large problem with electrical hassles here so I had nothing to lose when buying antenna.
Not only did antenna cure noise but talks great !!
It dont get better than this !!

Find one,buy one !

KG4COQ
TAMPA BAY FL USA

KB3H Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2011 07:38 Send this review to a friend
A Legend  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Phenomenal build quality with outstanding performance . . . This is the tribander to get if you want one that will last a lifetime.

W5VK Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2011 21:03 Send this review to a friend
AS GOOD AS IT GETS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a Classic 33 in the 1970s & 1980s. Only had it up about 44 feet but I worked a LOT of DX and most of it w/ 100 watts. It's pretty heavy so get a solid tower/rotator system to use it. Lasts a LONG time and if you need parts.... just order them. I've used several Mosley antennas and every one has performed well and lasted a LONG time. I'm getting ready to put up my "retirement" Mosley beam & vertical.

KD0QV Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2010 21:30 Send this review to a friend
TAKES A LICKING & KEEPS ON TICKING !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I BOUGHT MY CLASSIC-33 "USED" IN 1978 FROM A HAM FRIEND WHO HAD USED IT FOR YEARS ON HIS 100 FOOT ROHN-25 TOWER. I BOUGHT 70 FOOT OF HIS TOWER, WITH A HEAVY DUTY HOME-BREW HALF-TOP SECTION ADDED FOR THE HAM-4 ROTOR AND MAST. I HAD ONLY MY XYL ON THE GROUND TO HELP PUT UP BOTH THE TOWER WITH TWO SETS OF GUY WIRES, AND THE CLASSIC-33. I SLID THE BOOM TO ONE SIDE, AND ADDED THE REFLECTOR FIRST. THEN SLID THE BOOM OVER TO THE OTHER SIDE, AND MOUNTED THE DIRECTOR. SLID THE BOOM BACK TO THE CENTER, AND MOUNTED THE DRIVEN ELEMENT. I THINK THE MOST IMPORTANT FEATURE OF THE CLASSIC-33 IS THE CAPACATANCE-MATCH! IT'S A "SHIELD-LESS COAX" & IS MOUNTED INSIDE THE DRIVEN ELEMENT, AND NEEDS NO ADJUSTMENTS! MY CLASSIC-33 WAS UP AT MY IOWA QTH FOR OVER 20 YEARS! MY FIRST SSB RIG WAS A USED KENWOOD TS-520. IT HAS BEEN & STILL IS MY MAIN HF-RIG FOR OVER 33 YEARS. THAT RIG AT 100 WATTS, & THE CLASSIC-33 GAVE ME OVER 300 DXCC. UP & DOWN THE 10-15-20M BANDS WITH NO TUNNING NEEDED! SOLD THE QTH & MOVED INTO A TOWNHOUSE, SO THE TOWER & YAGI WERE TAKEN DOWN. GAVE THE CLASSIC-33 TO A DEAR HAM FRIEND IN WISCONSIN, AND IT'S STILL "ON THE AIR" SNAGGING EVEN MORE DX. IT'S MADE VERY HEAVY DUTY, AND THATS BEEN PROVED THROUGH MANY WIND STORMS, ICE STORMS, OR WHATEVER CAME IT'S WAY! IF I COULD PUT UP THE TOWER AGAIN, I WOULD JUMP AT THE CHANCE TO ACQUIRE ANOTHER MOSLEY CLASSIC-33. 73 & GUD DX. DE, KD0QV--JIM

KC9NCS Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2009 06:20 Send this review to a friend
Can't Beat A Mosley  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I came into possession of a Mosley Classic 33 in April of this year from another Ham who'd taken it down, rebuilt the traps and tested it, then just gave it to me for free. I have no idea how old the antenna is. When I received it it appeared in like-new condition.

I finally put the antenna up a few weeks ago on top of a ROHN HDBX-48 at 50' and have been in DX heaven since. October 25th, my second contact was in the British Virgin Islands, S7 was the signal report. Yesterday I reached Scotland, the UK and Germany, at S7, S9, S9 respectively. This morning I reached Northern Ireland on 14.238.5 with 100 watts and an S9+10 signal report. I couldn't possibly be happier with the results of this antenna.

My HF rig is a Kenwood 940SAT with 100W and a Kenwood MC-60 mic (with a few daiwa switches and meters inline to switch from the Mosley to a vertial and a wire.)

I have near perfect resonance in 20M, good resonance in 10 and 15. Also tunes right up in 12 and 17 and have made contacts on 10/12/15/17/20M since it's been up.

SWR Results are as follows:

10M 1.2 @ 28.410
12M 1.9 @ 24.950 (Tunes to 1.1:1)
15M 1.5 @ 21.300 (Tunes to 1.1:1)
17M 2.0 @ 18.140 (Tunes to 1.1:1)
20M 1.0 @ 14.225 - 14.300

I spent about 4 hours re-assembling the antenna, measuring everything 3-4 times to make sure it was set right and put the antenna analyzer on it before hoisting it up ontop of the tower. It was well worth the effort based on the results I'm seeing and the contacts I'm making.

Knowing what I now know about this antenna, if I had to buy it, I'd consider it worth every penny. I couldn't be more pleased with it.

The only thing I'm not entirely sure of at this point is how well the rejection is working on 20M. I can hear pretty well "through the backside" on 20M, when I turn the antenna at its intended target there is a significant signal difference though. Would appreciate any feedback from any Ham with experience on 20M and rejection with this antenna to know if my experience is typical, or if I missed something putting it together.