Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Directional: Yagi, quad, rotary dipole, LPD, etc | Mosley Classic 33 Help

Reviews Summary for Mosley Classic 33
Mosley Classic 33 Reviews: 30 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $620
Description: Heavy Duty 3 Element Tri-bander 1 Kw. Yagi
More info: http://www.mosley-electronics.com/amateur.htm

You can write your own review of the Mosley Classic 33.

KA5ROW Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2008 00:20 Send this review to a friend
Impressed  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Traded Hy-Gain Th-5 for a Mosley CL-33 and it is great. I completely reworked the antenna and I was impressed by the heavy construction. And the way the traps were designed. I liked the idea of pre drilled holes for the element assembly. No having to measure the length of the elements. One set of holes for CW and the other for phone. I wish they would advertise more in QST as they did years ago. Now there was nothing wrong with the Hy-Gain. But the Mosley was easier to assemble

WA0IIH Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2008 18:15 Send this review to a friend
A Timeless Classic!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having been a fan of mosley products for 40+ years when it was time for my first beam antenna there was no other option what would be going up on my tower. The classic 33 has been around since the early 60s, and is built like a battleship and functions like a true performer. It was very easy to put together and nothing but the best components were supplied. This antenna is a real work horse and the reports I get confirm the quality that went in to this antenna. It was well worth the time waiting for it to be built, all mosley antennas are made to order, mine took about 1 1/2 months and was hand delivered by gary jr, the owners son. I live in st. louis, so the mosley factory is is about 40 min away. I give this antenna and mosley electronics a 150% rating!!!!! Great people and a great company to work with. My antenna was up and running on october 16, 2008, my wifes birthday. Tnx for a super product!! 73s, Shawn Daniels, WA0IIH

NE4EB Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2008 15:44 Send this review to a friend
Impressed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My prior experience with multiband yagi's includes Telrex TB5EM, Cushcraft A3 and HyGain TH7DXS.

My brand new CL-33-M was put into service on October 18, 2008. It sets at 40 ft. on a Rohn 25G tower with non-conductive guy cable.

My experience with Mosley Electronics has been top notch from start to finish. I had been triband shopping for several months before making the antenna decision.

A call to the Mosley factory one afternoon put me in touch with the President of the company. He spoke to me for a solid 30-minutes patiently answering all of my questions.

My order took over a month to deliver, but that was made clear from the very start as Mosley has been busy with military orders.

The antenna comes in two boxes. You start seeing the quality before you even open them up.

All the parts are heavy duty aluminum and stainless.

I received the antenna on a Friday, with my tower crew scheduled to arrive the following morning. I was VERY STRESSED at the thought of working into the nigh time hours trying to figure out how to assemble and tune this antenna. My fears were calmed about 30 minutes into the project as all of the design philosophy, color coding ad pre-drilled holes started making perfect sense. You don't even need a tape measure to assemble this antenna! Everything is already done for you.

I cut mine for CW.

My 2:1 SWR bandwidth is as follows:

28.000 - 28.500
21.000 - 21.288
14.000 - 14.180

The 20-meter curve is a bit less than spec, but I attribute this to it only being at 40 ft. or maybe some tress. I dunno. I have been making a lot of QSO's up into the .200 to .300 portion of 20 meters where the SWR is over 2:1, and have been getting booming reports from all over the country and Europe. On CW, it acts as a flame thrower too.

The quality build of this antenna is truly impressive. I'll post a one year update next Fall.

73 John

K4DTC Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2007 17:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had a CL33 about 25 years ago that I bought used. I liked it so much that, when I recently got back into ham radio, I bought another one. Both were used, but they are rugged and last forever. They are just a great antenna. They will take any kind of wind and ice, and it always does a great job. If you find one that is in good shape, don't hesitate to buy it. The only down side is that they will not work on the WARC bands. 73!

KD5ZEF Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2007 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought mine used from a ham who relocated to a restricted neighborhood for an unbelievable price, along with the HAM-M rotor. It's almmost as old as I am! After a good cleaning I assembled everything. Assembly was a piece of cake and the construction is top notch.

It's elevation is at about 38ft and it works very well. It's an antenna I can point to the station and work 'em. I don't have long wait times in a pileup when working phone dx, either.

REMOVE_LBB6W Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2007 20:24 Send this review to a friend
WOW! Great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna at a yard sale for $100. I had a choice of KLM, Hy-Gain, and several other brands. I have no way of knowing how old the antenna is, but when I called Mosley and described the feedpoint connector (Type N) the guy said "We haven't used that type of connector for 30 years."
The connector was so badly corroded that I had to buy a feed assembly. I also replaced 2 traps and all the plastic trap covers and end caps. I guess I put about $300 into the antenna, but WOW-- I am impressed!
The first weekend the antenna was up in the air, at about 40 feet, I worked all states in the CA QSO Party. Subsequent DX contests proved the performance stateside was not a fluke. A "Clean Sweep" in the 2006 ARRL SS was like shooting fish in a barrel. Only 100 watts did the job.
When Mosley designed this antenna, they designed it to last a lifetime (or maybe more than one lifetime!).
***A REAL WINNER***

K2VI Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2007 15:20 Send this review to a friend
the last antenna you will ever buy  Time owned: more than 12 months
A fellow ham 18 miles from my qth has a mosley classic and i had a force 12 c4,we were both up at around 45-50 feet,also we were both at around 25 feet above sea level.So the only real difference was the antennas and what a difference it was.mike would alway get 1 to 2 s units over me,it was very rare for me to get the better signal report.Sometimes we were even but mostly he buried me.Another big issue is the front to back on 20 meters is fantastic on the classic.The best part of this wonderful design is it WILL be the last antenna you will buy.They literally last forever.The story is i took the c4 down 2 years ago and the mosely has been up ever since breaking pile-ups.Very simple to put together(color coded elements)and full bandwidth on 10-20.

K1XT Rating: 4/5 Jan 13, 2007 21:34 Send this review to a friend
A few suggestions  Time owned: more than 12 months
I also had a CL-33 for several years and worked over 300 countries from a city lot with it mounted at 45 feet.The first 275 were with 100 watts and the rest with an amp. One of the best things I did was add a bead balun at the feed point. I made it with a short run of RG303 and pl-259's on each end then placed it in line. This balanced the feed to the driver and made a noticeable improvement on the f/b pattern. Better f/b afterward overall. You can also tweak the swr for 20 by adjusting only the tips of the driven element. The antenna does tend to be narrow banded and lacks a bit of f/b on 15 and 10, but all that is within the specs of the antenna. It was designed for gain. And that it does as I used to work JA's long path on 10 meters during the high sunspot cyles. Calling CQ LP in the morning on 10 would bring back about 10 to 15 JA's. As for the construction: Mosley was using stainless long before the other guys as well as 6061-T6 aluminum. The antenna will last forever. Don't worry about cracked coil forms. They tend to produce hairline cracks at times, but it will not affect performance in my experience. Just keep them clean of bugs and wasp nests.

Bill K1XT

KC9CS Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2007 19:11 Send this review to a friend
A simply great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
34 years as a ham operator in both the extremes of 9 land with its icy, snowy, cold winters and then in west central Florida, with wind, salt air, even a possible direct hit by lightning to the tower, yet the Mosley Classic 33 is still working FB. I bought the antenna used for $100 dollars as my first 'real' ham yagi. I had a fine Hustler 5BTV antenna (still have THAT antenna too!), but when it came to running QRO power and wanting the directivity of a yagi I bought the Mosley. I don't know how long the guy I bought it from had it, but I've had it in the air for 30 full years with zero, zip, nada, problems. I've replaced the rubber type blocks that standoff the radiating element from the boom attachment, but that's been it as far as replacements go. One split, so I replaced the set of them. What's great is that parts are available if needed. In today's world of planned obsolescence, it is nice to get a piece of radio gear that simply continues to work year after year after year. I get great reports, usually work any stations with a call or two so I know the antenna gets out great. And I hear well with it too. It has been a workhorse and continues to perform. There needs to be a special check box below for Time Owned for the Classic 33 -- several decades!!

AL7QQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2004 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Golden Oldie!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the second Mosley CL-33 I've owned, and would own another if I have to sell this one now. The first one I had was when I lived in Kansas and sold it because of a move I had to make, relocating to Iowa. But I love the Mosley CL-33 I had in Kansas. It out performed my Hy-gain TH6-DXX that I had up before it was installed by a long shot. Almost cried when I sold that Old Mosley CL-33. Then after moving to Iowa I took about a four year break from HAM Radio and this past Summer got pumped back up. So I started looking for another Mosley CL-33 and found one in great shape from a Gentleman in Nevada who shipped it to me. Had no problems with assembly, but as I tested it I got delayed by some tuning problems on 20 and 10 Meters. Only to find out I had a metal garden post to close to the antenna. Once I resolved that issue my sons and I hoisted aloft a 56 ft. tower and tested it with great results. Since putting it up I've had the chance to work all over the world on 15 Meters, a band I had always had trouble with in the past. It works well on 20 and not to terribly bad on 10. But like one of the other people in the reviews said "It takes a lick'n and keeps on tick'n". I am also in an area where I have very strong NW winds all the time and the Old Mosley soars like an Eagle a top of the tower in the back yard. It planes very well in high winds. Thanks for reading my review. 73's all Jeff AL7QQ