Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Radio Shack PRO-60 (manufactured by GRE) Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack PRO-60 (manufactured by GRE)
Radio Shack PRO-60 (manufactured by GRE) Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $380.00 back in 1995
Description: 200 Channel, 30-512 MHz & 760-1000 MHz, AM/FM/WFM, triple conversion scanner.

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack PRO-60 (manufactured by GRE).

W4KYR Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2017 05:54 Send this review to a friend
Sips Batteries   Time owned: more than 12 months
About a year ago after spending several years of being in storage, I took this scanner out and started using it again for a few hours a week. I don't remember when I last changed batteries on this thing, so I continued to use it.

Then just few days ago the batteries finally gave out and had to be replaced. When I opened the battery compartment, I was kind of shocked to see that the Duracell AA batteries had an expiration year of 2008. Yea, you read that right.

Now I can't say for sure if that is a testament to the quality of Duracell batteries or to the scanner itself. I'd like to think it is the scanner. Thinking back to when I first bought this some time in the late 1990's, it was always very good on batteries.

I don't recommend leaving the batteries in any device if you plan to store it for any length of time. But for me, I was lucky that the batteries didn't leak and corrode the radio.

This 200 channel scanner was kind of advanced at the time. It was also able to pick up the FM broadcast band (a rarity) in handheld scanners of that era. In addition it also covered the 220 Mhz band (also a rarity). Like to monitor aircraft? it covers that too. The modes are AM/FM/FM wide. Like other scanners of the era, programming this by hand was always a snap (unlike most scanners and dual band handhelds of today). It's triple conversion shines and I have never encountered any problems with overload or images.

If you are looking for a great analog handheld that is easy to program manually, has extended coverage and just seems to receive forever without a battery change....

Then I highly recommend the Pro 60...

KE5LDO Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2011 00:22 Send this review to a friend
Amazing!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My daughter just found it again in my moved boxes from 9 and 1/2 years goo..Thought it had been stolen by the movers. Amazing because: 1. No battery leakage. It still retains frequencies and works again full force! of course, all the freqs are invalid since the move was 250 miles away. Just have to replace the battery holder (less than 2 dollars!). The Shack and GRE don't make 'em like this anymore. I plan to use it as a primary mil air radio, to match the use of my GRE PSR 500!
KB5WQW Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2008 10:36 Send this review to a friend
Nice Scanner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one for many years & really like it for it's coverage. However, the key pad is goofed up. Does anybody have any suggestions for repair or repalcement?
N0ODK Rating: 4/5 Feb 4, 2007 06:57 Send this review to a friend
No Problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this scanner for many years. Scans frequencies that I want in various banks. Hooked up to external speaker. No problems at all. Should be a 4.5 rating.
N2SQV Rating: 4/5 Jun 18, 2003 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Scanner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After eight years of infrequent use, this scanner works well. Really like the frequency coverage [30 – 512 MHz and 760 – 1 GHz (no cell phone coverage)]. Receive modes are user selectable (FM/WFM & AM). Mode selection is “automatic” depending on the frequency entered, but very easy to change if desired. Triple conversion is a must with a receiver as wide banded as this one is and works well. 10 banks of 20 channels are perfect for my needs. Search and scan rates are good and bi-directional. “VFO” feature (direct entry) is really nice to have. Enter a frequency and search up or down from your starting point. Battery pack consists of 6 × AA batteries (6 is better than 4, more capacity) and installs up from the bottom in the scanner. There are 2-barrel connections (both need 9 volts), 1 to power the scanner and the other to charge the batteries and power the scanner. Antenna connection is a BNC connecter (not an SMA like some of today’s receivers). Audio power (180 mW) could be better however the audio quality is excellent. A 1/8” mono headphone jack is provided next the BNC connecter. Squelch tale (or lack of one) sounds nice to the ear and makes listening to this scanner a pleasure. The priority feature works well and doesn’t require a lot of time to sample the user selectable channel. Some scanners take too long to sample the priority channel and that makes it difficult to monitor the other channels. Construction is excellent, very rugged for a scanner. However, the display does get scratched up easily. Size and feel in the hand is great, not big and bulky like my BC205XLT and not tiny like some of today’s receivers. This scanner is a keeper!