Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Cushcraft A270-10S Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft A270-10S
Cushcraft A270-10S Reviews: 35 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $100
Description: 10-ele Dual band Yagi (2m and 70cm)
with end-mounting and harness
More info: http://www.cushcraft.com/amateur/details.asp?catid=182

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft A270-10S.

KB5PQL Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2014 22:30 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna if you get the good version  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought two antennas and one works EXCELLENT and one works Just OK. The "Excellent" antenna has wonderful gain and works from 2m to MURS with FLAT SWR. On UHF, the antenna covers 70cm and GMRS with FLAT SWR! This is a great GMRS antenna too!
The "OK" antenna has good SWR on the ham bands only. It has a very sharp SWR pattern on 2m and 70cm and no GMRS coverage. The beam pattern is all over the place too. It's like some have reviewed here on eham where you can't tell the difference between the front or back. It appears like the two antennas have different holes drilled on the boom. Perhaps there was a version 1 and then a version 2? I hope cushcraft decided on version 2 because this antenna is great! I talked to a station 50 miles away while testing the antenna indoors on 2m SSB; the antenna was pointed straight up! Hope you get the "excellent" antenna for your setup.

KQ0J Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2014 09:19 Send this review to a friend
Great little beam for FM  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the good fortune to get one of these beams for no charge from another ham that had it up for a few years and then stored it away. Put it on the analyzer - it had great SWR across 2M and 70Cm. I mounted it just above the roof and it plays great - I can now access repeaters and have quality QSO's that I could not hear well on my omni that is up 5 feet higher. Sides have great rejection of 20+ db and the back has good rejection but not as much as the sides. The former owner had good success on 2M SSB mounted horizontally ( within limits of the gain of course). Gain on 440 is fantastic as well.

W4KVW Rating: 2/5 Mar 6, 2014 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Not so Good! {:>(  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I made the mistake of purchasing this antenna at the 2103 Hamvention in Dayton,Ohio.I can't wait to get the antenna off of the tower & put my 13B3 back where it belongs.This antenna talks equally poorly in all directions & hears everything no matter where it's pointed.The front to back ratio is poor at best.I think my tri-band vertical at 12 feet does just as well as this antenna which is at 53 ft.If you are looking for a real antenna for 2 meters & 440 MHz run as fast as possible away from this pathetic excuse for a dual band yagi. Go with an omni directional vertical antenna with some gain & get your money's worth.NEVER been so disappointed in an antenna in my life as this waste of money!The best thing about it is that it will be replaced & somebody else can be the owner other than me!It is also VERY narrow banded so don't expect your SWR reading to be great across the FM portion of the band either. {:>(

VE4EAR Rating: 4/5 Sep 23, 2013 17:49 Send this review to a friend
Works Well for 5 elements  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is a 5 element yagi and performs like one. Nothing magical here. I have had mine up at 60' in a horizontal configuration for 4 years and it has seen some very high winds, temperature extremes and plenty of snow and ice. So far it is rock solid.

Went together easily following the instructions supplied. However I did run into one snag. After assembly, the VSWR was very high on both bands. I started playing with the gamma matches and even using a network analyzer, I could not brink the match close to 50 ohms on either band.

I finally gave in and contacted Cushcraft. Exchanging emails and data led to the discovery that the phasing harness I was supplied with was incorrect. It was the correct length but the wrong cable had been used. I had been supply with what looked to be 50 ohm RG58. The proper cable is not 50 ohm and Cushcraft quickly shipped the proper harness. Once installed it quickly tuned on both bands. Perhaps thise that have had problems with matching had similar problems.

Cushcraft customer service was very responsive and quick. Providing factory design sketches aand ultimately the correct parts.

Best DX so far on terrestrial tropospheric paths is about 600km using 100W.

Ed
VE4EAR

K1MGY Rating: 4/5 Sep 22, 2013 15:17 Send this review to a friend
A solid antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Maybe there exist two versions of this antenna. I got a deal: take it down and it's yours. The one I inherited has been around a while; there is quite a bit of corrosion (cleaned nicely with Mother's metal polish and finished using clear Krylon). My version shows three 2M directors at the pointy end, after which there are 3 70cm directors followed by the 2M driven element, etc. In the CushCraft documentation for this antenna, there are two 2M directors, then an intervening 440 director, and then another 2M director, etc.

Having totally disassembled my antenna for cleaning, the manual and the actual drill pattern for element mounting on the boom were not consistent.

So I wonder if this has caused some issues with hams in my place.. and maybe this might explain the commenter who said he's getting awfully high vswr?

In the stock setup I am getting <= 1.2:1 vswr, and with a simple tweak it's even lower on both bands.

Here's the configuration of my beam: images.marketplaceadvisor.channeladvisor.com/hi/15/15147/cushcrafta27010s_unit1a.jpg

and here's what CushCraft's current configuration looks like: www.radioworld.co.uk/catalog/images/a27010x.jpg

KW7K Rating: 1/5 Mar 28, 2013 10:08 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had this antenna now for almost a year. The SWR was and is very, very high. Not only high on 2 meters, but 440 as well. After taking it off the roof multiple times, I remedied the situation by shortening the boom by almost 1.5 inches. Although this did bring the SWR on 2 meters to spec, the 440 range remains exceptionally high. The tuning stubs are useless when the SWR is well out of the acceptable range. After calling Cushcraft, their only response was to adjust the tuning stub. I have owned other Cushcraft antennas, and was unpleasently surprised at how poor this antenna perfromed right out of the box. Disapointing at best.

KI4WMO Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2013 21:50 Send this review to a friend
19 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
What can I say that hasn't been said already? This antenna sat up 35 feet for 10 years in Ohio, surviving winters with the only maintenance needed being some grease when I took it down to move it to Georgia. Has lived in Georgia ever since. I've used it at times for FM, others for sideband and CW. ON 2 meters, once you get to about 5 elements, adding more elements starts to matter less than elevation. You need to go all the way to 10 to get much significant difference, and after that 20, at least in my opinion. 5 has enough front to back for most uses as well. Now, if you've maxed out your reasonable height and still need/want more, then it may be time to start looking at bigger and independent antennas.

For 440, 5 elements if fine for FM. Really, sideband it is nice to have a few more - I prefer 13 or so ideally for 432, and such beams are not large on 440. That said, if you're like me and only operate 432 once or twice a year, this gets you on the air decently there as well, and has the 1 feedline convenience.

A great setup is to use 2 of these, or 1 and a good dual band vertical, through a quality antenna switch, to a dual band rig, with the duplexer between the antenna switch and the radio (this lets you add amps as well). You'll have both bands horizontal and vertical with one flick of the switch with only 2 master feed lines. If you're looking to get your feet wet on a budget beyond just working repeaters on this band, it isn't a bad way to go.

K7CB Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2012 12:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've found this antenna to be a solid performer. I currently use it for FM work and can hit repeaters that my ground plane antenna can only marginally get in to. But then, that's to be expected.

As for "MAGNUM257" - I think your comments about KV4BL are funny considering you don't post with an amateur call sign, instead opting to use the model of a 10M/CB radio. I also couldn't help but notice the PDL-II beam shown in your profile. Makes me wonder if you're a HAM. :)

W8GTX Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2012 21:47 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for FM work  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for 11 years and it's still working fine. I've taking it down a couple of times to clean and inspect it. No problems. I once used it for about a year as my main 2m/432 SSB mounted horizontally. It worked quite well. Bottom line, easy to assemble, easy to mount, rugged after 11 years with 0 issues. Great antenna for general FM service compared with it's omni vertical counter parts :-)

MAGNUM257 Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2011 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Easy assembly, great performance.  Time owned: more than 12 months
>>>KV4BL Rating: 0/5 Jan 22, 2008 04:14<<<

"Assembly Not USer Friendly Time owned: 3 to 6 months Bought this piece of $#*% several months ago. As I am not an avid do-it-yourselfer and my time is at a premium, I was most disappointed at the totally non-intuitive assembly. Again, I am NOT Bob Vila and they expect you to be able to recognize various sizes of nuts, washers, etc and instinctively know what they are so when you have to put a given size in a given place, you are ( I guess they expect) supposed to automatically know what goes where. I made my comments known when sending in the warranty card and I guess Cush-Craft didn't care as they never replied. Several months later, this crap is still on my spare room floor and will probably remain so until I get a chance to dump it. Cush-Craft could have at least separated the parts (washers, nuts, bolts, whatever) a lot better according to size, description, and stage of assembly. Not impressed and will not likely buy anything else from them. Have assembled antennas from other manufacturers like Arrow in the past without difficulty."

I'm sorry, but this guy should not be a HAM! :)

I had no problems with assembly (about an hour). Diresctions are so simple a caveman could do it.

ck