Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Vibroplex Brass Racer Help

Reviews Summary for Vibroplex Brass Racer
Vibroplex Brass Racer Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $129.00
Description: Iambic paddles
More info: http://www.vibroplex.com/

You can write your own review of the Vibroplex Brass Racer.

N3ZJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2016 12:22 Send this review to a friend
Upgraded = wonderful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased one of the new deluxe "upgraded" versions, with jeweled spring-loaded bearing. What difference! This really breathes new life into the semi-automatic Vibroplex. Extremely smooth action, no wobble, makes dit strings forever. Good job, Vibroplex! I also bought the same upgraded "Original" bug and I am looking forward to evaluating it as well. I think this new level of quality will bring more folks into the bug fold if they would give them a try.

KD4WKB Rating: 4/5 Feb 21, 2016 17:55 Send this review to a friend
Nice equipment  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine back before I discovered tinitus and CW can be a conflict.

Loved the design and wanted one for years before I found one going for the right price.

Tuned up everything with a teardown and rebuild, got the tension and spacing perfect and moved out here to a bare mountainside in MT.

As soon as I get my lightening protection worked out it's going to connect to my FT 897.

Clear air lightening and 25 MPH gusts make designing my antenna field a challenge.

Easy to rebuild that key though, and get it all working just right... but I can understand people who came up in the "It just works" age being frustrated. It's the 'fiddly bits' that get folks tearing their hair out.

My first exposure to CW was a cousin talking around
the world in on a vibroplex bug.

Even though it's not being used now my General Class son is leaving for Air Force Basic next week and we'll be exploring Ham Radio together from wherever duty sends him. I'll get back up to speed in time to meet him on the air!

N7RD Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2015 09:18 Send this review to a friend
1983 EK-1 Iambic  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Picked up and refurbished a 1983 EK-1 Brass Racer, the one with the Curtis Chip in the base. Was in good condition and now mint condition. It is a pleasure to use for High Speed CW. Once adjusted it seems to be one of my favorite keys. I have Begali, Bencher and others but this one ranks right up there with the best of them. Suggest if you see one grab hold of it as is no longer made.

KB2HSH Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2015 19:51 Send this review to a friend
Classy Brassy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been a Vibroplex owner for almost 20 years...Originals at first. After discovering Iambic A keying, I never looked back. Recently at the 2015 Lockport (NY) Hamfest, I had the good fortune to buy the Brass Racer (S/S 05564) from the estate of a gentleman that had just passed on. The key needed a thorough cleaning and adjusting, but once mated with the internal keyer in my Alinco SR8T, it became evident that THIS was the key that I have been looking for. It is fast and light to the touch...and heavy enough that it doesn't slide all over the flip down desk surface of my 1910 Chippendale desk. The ONLY thing I don't like are the black paddles. I will be having this key professionally polished to bring back the glow that it deserves.

SM6XUN Rating: 3/5 Dec 20, 2014 12:03 Send this review to a friend
Not for me..  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Inferior mechanics and fitting, spongy feel and by absolutely no means comparable to a Schurr or Begali in any aspect.

I'm really disappointed, my Bencher BY-1 and BY-2 performs far better imho, a Kent paddle would be much better investment for about the same money.

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2013 09:19 Send this review to a friend
Great deal!  Time owned: more than 12 months
These are selling for around $60 on the used market. They are a real bargain as the paddle is sturdy with a feel that rivals Begali. It has an old school appearance but for 60 bucks you will not find a better paddle. I have one in my vehicle for mobile work, one in my go bag, and another in my shack. I have bought and sold numerous paddles and this paddle is a keeper!

K3TD Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2013 16:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performance and reliability  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my Vibroplex Brass Racer 20 years now and it has performed very well for me. After several moves it needed an alignment and a replacement plastic paddle when it fell off a table while remodeling the ham shack. Scott repaired, aligned and cleaned it and it now looks and works like new. The charges were very reasonable and the turnaound time was quick.

K4JPN Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2012 18:30 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine used at Dayton 10 years ago. Once setup it has never needed adjustment. I tried a number of paddles including a Bencher and found the Brass Racer was right for me.
Steve K4JPN

WD0BC Rating: 2/5 Sep 17, 2012 13:02 Send this review to a friend
JUNK......  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
FIRST OF ALL this Brass Racer is a USED key and I do not know the age of the piece.

The number is 09174.

The BRASS BASE does not fit the wooden base at all...crooked!

The contact posts are not aligned up with the key contacts AT ALL. Had to remove the plated contact from the screw stud just to make the key adjust where it would work. NOT GOOD!

This key looks like it was made on a FRIDAY afternoon at the close of the shift and the crew started drinking about NOON!

I CERTAINLY HOPE THAT VIBROPLEX HAS CLEANED UP THEIR ACT....IF THEIR CURRENT PRODUCTION IS THIS QUALITY THEY ARE DOOMED!

THIS KEY WAS $80 and I KNEW it wasn't pristine but VERY POORLY CONSTRUCTD AND WORTH ABOUT $25.....

I LOVE MY VIBROKEY and its older than DIRT!

KC2CT Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2010 01:33 Send this review to a friend
Elegant Design  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought the Brass Racer EK-1 from a seller on eBay at a reasonable price. The previous owner was left-handed and cut and reversed the circuit traces. I am left-handed but learned to use Iambic paddles the "right" way. Returned the electronics back to factory spec, took the whole thing apart and cleaned up all the brass. Shrink-wrapped 5,357 button cells and the paddles are operational on a daily basis. Magnetic tension is set to my personal taste and it stays there. Doesn't walk around the table. Nice, light tactile response. I'm looking for another one.