Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Vibroplex Brass Racer Help

Reviews Summary for Vibroplex Brass Racer
Vibroplex Brass Racer Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $129.00
Description: Iambic paddles
More info: http://www.vibroplex.com/

You can write your own review of the Vibroplex Brass Racer.

N5THN Rating: 3/5 Sep 27, 2009 05:36 Send this review to a friend
Not the best design.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm new to CW and wanted an inexpensive paddle. Bought a brass racer used, I don't think it had been abused, it seemed in good shape. The internal keyer worked, but I've bypassed it for a more versatile external keyer. The problem is, it absolutely won't stay in adjustment. After using it for just a few minutes the magnets slip forward and catch on the arms. I've had it apart, and yes the little springs and balls that are supposed to hold tension on the magnets are still there. I tried roughing up the magnet posts with an emery board, which didn't help. If it had setscrews to hold the magnets in place, I think it would be fine. I have a light touch, I don't bang it around the desk! I'm reluctant to use nail polish to lock the magnets in place. Other than the adjustment problem it works fine. It has a nice light touch without much finger movement. However, it WILL be replaced sooner or later!

W6SYQ Rating: 4/5 Mar 10, 2009 18:18 Send this review to a friend
Batteries  Time owned: months
I have had my Brass Racer Carson since 1979 we buildt them in a basement in Scoita, Ca. before Vibroplex bought the patten from three friends mine.

Mine is still going strong and no problems other that buying batteries.

I called Vibroplex and they sent me one at no charge.

KC6BLW Rating: 4/5 Feb 11, 2009 16:38 Send this review to a friend
battery  Time owned: more than 12 months
Batteries are a bit of a problem,the ek1 is a little pricey.Turns out a 9 volt transistor battery and a 10k resistor will give you about 7.25 volts and so far works quite well.Yes it is butt ugly.I haven't tried this yet but 5 of them button size 1.5v batteries stacked up and wrapped with shrink tube would work but the price is up there.Other wise the brass racer has been alot of fun over 10 years........73

VE3AKV Rating: 4/5 Feb 10, 2009 20:07 Send this review to a friend
I like it...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own several Vibroplex models and many from other companies too...but if I'm heading out to the field, cottage, road trip or just simply, a harsh environment, the EK-1 is the one paddle I take.

I bought it at a flea-market pre-loved and enjoyed. I was of course told - "yup - the keyer works just fine". Well, I've heard that before too. I low-balled the guy and gave him $35 for the paddle. Sure enough, the "keyer" was crap so I neutered the thing and presto...and very reasonable and durable paddle.

To be honest, it's not a great piece of gear, but it surely works. It stays in adjustment, it doesn't slide all over the desk, dash, suitcase, or whatever. I've even used it in a balloon gondola at 3500ft.

For $35...it was a SUPER purchase and yes, I'd buy another ;)

So - here's to keeping CW alive and growing...73/72 VE3AKV

VE7BGP Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2008 17:23 Send this review to a friend
Wow Nice Paddle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
On the weekend I got really nice Brass Racer Paddles. I cleaned them up and set them to my liking. These are the first set of Magnetic Paddles I have owned and wow is the Magnetic Return ever nice and snappy Great Feel. Sending Code on these paddles is almost Effortless! I also have 2 other sets of Vibroplex Paddles the Iambic and Vibrokeyer these are the nicest made by Vibroplex. I think in your search for really Nice Paddles you don't need to go offshore the best are right in your own Back Door Vibroplex in Mobile AB.
Gerry VE7BGP

KJ6EF Rating: 4/5 Jun 14, 2008 16:24 Send this review to a friend
Tough as Nails  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had the EK-1 since 1992. Originally had to send the unit back under warranty, but repair was speedy, and afterwards the thing just won't quit.

Factory email seems to be very slow; wrote them several days ago regarding a replacement for the now hard-to-get type 175 7.5V silver oxide battery, and have had no response yet, so just ordered it from Radio Shaft.

The firm was sold in 1994 to W4OA.

KD3JF Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2007 18:35 Send this review to a friend
Brass Racer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the brass racer and just got it back from Vibroplex and they cleaned it and did whatever was needed. I have not done one thing to adjust it since I got it back and it works probably as well as any paddle... I like it very much and it works perfectly for me does not move at all on the desk.

K7MH Rating: 4/5 Sep 12, 2004 02:04 Send this review to a friend
My favorite keyer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have owned one for many years. Mine is actually the Carson, before Vibroplex put it out. I had a Vibroplex also at one time so switched the bases and put the Carson EK-1 electronics assembly (which was inside the wood base) under the Vibroplex paddles and later sold that one. I wanted to keep the Carson paddles as there is a set screw that you adjust the magnets with. Don't understand why Vibroplex didn't keep that adjustment!! A good mod would be to drill and tap over the magnets so you can do the same. I have had other paddle sets but only ever kept the mutant Vibroplex. It does move around alot but I find if I clean the feet before using it, it sticks much better to the desk. I set the "points" with an automotive feeler gauge for distributor points.

WA4DOU Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2002 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased with it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've now had mine for most of 3 years. I've never had to make any adjustments after the initial setup. It has the same feel, consistently, everytime I sit down to use it. I owned a Bencher BY-1 for 20 years and never found any adjustment I could be satisfied with for very long. I am completely satisfied with it !

WA8UOC Rating: 4/5 Sep 6, 2002 00:42 Send this review to a friend
Solid, Simple, Smooth  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased a used BR-7 Brass Racer and am very pleased. Based on my serial number, this paddle is about 12 yrs. old. This paddle is very solid, condtructed of 3/8 inch brass plate on a 7/8 wood base. The tension on each paddle can be separately adjusted with it's own magnet.

I use the Brass Racer on a glass desk top and have had no problems with movement. I think it is important to keep the rubber feet and the work surface clean.

I have not had the paddle long enough to comment on how well the adjustments hold however the condtruction is so simple I can't see them changing.

I looked at the Bencher BY-1 before this pruchase but decided on the Brass Racer based on A. Reviews on this page. B. Vibroplex reputation.

So far, I am very pleased with this product.