Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Vibroplex Brass Racer Help

Reviews Summary for Vibroplex Brass Racer
Vibroplex Brass Racer Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $129.00
Description: Iambic paddles
More info: http://www.vibroplex.com/

You can write your own review of the Vibroplex Brass Racer.

KJ6EF Rating: 4/5 Jun 14, 2008 16:24 Send this review to a friend
Tough as Nails  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had the EK-1 since 1992. Originally had to send the unit back under warranty, but repair was speedy, and afterwards the thing just won't quit.

Factory email seems to be very slow; wrote them several days ago regarding a replacement for the now hard-to-get type 175 7.5V silver oxide battery, and have had no response yet, so just ordered it from Radio Shaft.

The firm was sold in 1994 to W4OA.

KD3JF Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2007 18:35 Send this review to a friend
Brass Racer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the brass racer and just got it back from Vibroplex and they cleaned it and did whatever was needed. I have not done one thing to adjust it since I got it back and it works probably as well as any paddle... I like it very much and it works perfectly for me does not move at all on the desk.

K7MH Rating: 4/5 Sep 12, 2004 02:04 Send this review to a friend
My favorite keyer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have owned one for many years. Mine is actually the Carson, before Vibroplex put it out. I had a Vibroplex also at one time so switched the bases and put the Carson EK-1 electronics assembly (which was inside the wood base) under the Vibroplex paddles and later sold that one. I wanted to keep the Carson paddles as there is a set screw that you adjust the magnets with. Don't understand why Vibroplex didn't keep that adjustment!! A good mod would be to drill and tap over the magnets so you can do the same. I have had other paddle sets but only ever kept the mutant Vibroplex. It does move around alot but I find if I clean the feet before using it, it sticks much better to the desk. I set the "points" with an automotive feeler gauge for distributor points.

WA4DOU Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2002 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased with it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've now had mine for most of 3 years. I've never had to make any adjustments after the initial setup. It has the same feel, consistently, everytime I sit down to use it. I owned a Bencher BY-1 for 20 years and never found any adjustment I could be satisfied with for very long. I am completely satisfied with it !

WA8UOC Rating: 4/5 Sep 6, 2002 00:42 Send this review to a friend
Solid, Simple, Smooth  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased a used BR-7 Brass Racer and am very pleased. Based on my serial number, this paddle is about 12 yrs. old. This paddle is very solid, condtructed of 3/8 inch brass plate on a 7/8 wood base. The tension on each paddle can be separately adjusted with it's own magnet.

I use the Brass Racer on a glass desk top and have had no problems with movement. I think it is important to keep the rubber feet and the work surface clean.

I have not had the paddle long enough to comment on how well the adjustments hold however the condtruction is so simple I can't see them changing.

I looked at the Bencher BY-1 before this pruchase but decided on the Brass Racer based on A. Reviews on this page. B. Vibroplex reputation.

So far, I am very pleased with this product.

W3DCG Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2002 15:11 Send this review to a friend
HEAVY, PRETTY, WORKS WELL.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
HAD A CHANCE TO TRY SEVERAL PADDLES NOW. i LIKE THIS ONE BEST SO FAR.

W3DCG Rating: 4/5 Apr 15, 2002 00:58 Send this review to a friend
Well, let me re-visit...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Re previous post by me as kg4pym-

Okay, when I discovered that the magnetic tensioning actually was adjustable independently from contact spacing, oh my- it's a world of difference. Now it's the right feel, and is 100 percent or 1000 percent better than the CT-2 paddle I purchased in order to retire the Brass Racer [no- i'm not selling ANY paddle I ever buy no matter if its good or bad- I'm going to collect them]. In the case of the CT-2, I'll send it back for credit on something else. The CT-2 from Morsex spring tensioning on it's lowest setting would have that unit slapping and sliding left and right just to eke out CQ a few times.

So the Brass Racer it turns out, not only offers decent asthetics, but it actually does work well, once it's adjusted, and I seem to have to adjust it at least once a month. I like it just fine. It's a dandy piece of work. For the price even retail, perhaps it's worth it. For Sixty Bucks, it's wonderful, and a joy to behold. After you fiddle with it for a while, and establish a relationship with it! hee.

WA4DOU Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2002 23:32 Send this review to a friend
Happy With Mine!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have now had it for most of 2 years. Have never felt the necessity for readjustment in that time period. I don't miss the Bencher BY-1 I sold when I got the Brass Racer.

KG4PYM Rating: 4/5 Mar 7, 2002 20:58 Send this review to a friend
Not for Serious QRQ  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
But it works okay for me for now. :)

I can't adjust the tension for as light as I wished I could. It requires re-adjustment every month or so i'd say. I think it's nice looking, the wood is a nice touch.

It works- for serious speed past 28wpm or so, it'll probably foul you on occasion. For speeds less than that, it works- WELL.

Got mine used for a fair price, and I am generally very pleased. It took fidling with it though to get it just right for me- you can BEND the L-arms which the plastic paddle pieces screw onto, and tailor it that way.

It's a fair deal- considering I am partial to Triangle shapes, It's the Only One offering that. When I get to Rag Chewing at 30 wpm, I'll prob opt for the spring tensioned inexpensive same price class Bencher. Those can be adjusted for a lighter touch.

N7OE Rating: 3/5 Dec 8, 2001 23:20 Send this review to a friend
A bit too light and not enough glue.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used the Brass Racer for several years while attending college. The college's ARC had one in the shack, and I worked CW frequently between classes.

Compared to the Bencher BY-1, the Brass Racer is incredibly light--too light for my taste. Even with rubber feet to add friction, it slides easily on glass or artificial surfaces, leading to an awkward orientation in the middle of a transmission. Keep your other hand handy!

The magnets used to provide resistance on the levers are glued into their sockets, and can come unglued!! I had to go QRT once because one of the magnets flew out of its socket and stuck to the lever during a contact, leaving me stuck sending didididididididididididi. I had to get out the epoxy. Doh! Similar things can happen with tightly-adjusted Bencher products, but this seemed downright cheesy to me. Maybe Im too critical.

In any case, if youre looking for a first paddle, check out the Bencher BY-x series, or if you have big money, the Mercury (also by Bencher).

Best regards