Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Yaesu 800S & SDX Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu 800S & SDX
Yaesu 800S & SDX Reviews: 49 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $275.
Description: 17 sq. ft. wind load rotator
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/rotator.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu 800S & SDX.

KG5ABW Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2016 05:35 Send this review to a friend
KG5ABW  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Mine took a direct lightening hit back in April 2016. Had to buy a new one its model number is G-800SA. I has a Cushcraft A3S, an A3WS,
and a AR270B 2 meter antenna.

It is a strong rotor and has no problems moving my antennas on the
mask. Questions: email me at my qrz.com page.

W7NIK Rating: 2/5 Mar 2, 2016 20:20 Send this review to a friend
800 , replaced twice   Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one couple years ago, the whipping wind at 60 mile hour destroyed the bearings.
I had the controller and wiring so a fellow ham gave me another one for free, this week free spinning again , junk.
maybe the steppir is way to heavy, 12 ft sq ?

W3WMU Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2016 21:25 Send this review to a friend
No Complaints  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the Yaesu G-800SA rotator new from HRO and have only been using for about 2 months now. I have not experienced any of the problems listed in some of the previous reviews. The rotator turns a Mosley TA33jr on a 40 foot tower. Based on my short time using this product I have to give it a 5 because it has performed as advertised.

K2GT Rating: 2/5 Jul 24, 2015 20:14 Send this review to a friend
Frustration  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this rotor for a Hex beam, hoping it was overkill, but setup has been frustrating. The rotor simply will not calibrate properly and the instructions are lacking in the help department. I am used to a Ham IV which has a rugged control box, as opposed to the plastic seemingly cheaper box with the G800S. This isn't what I expected, but now that it's up, it stays.

K5ZZR Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2015 20:30 Send this review to a friend
Both Good   Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned both of these and they function great. After pricing beefier rotators I would rather change these out IF they go bad rather than pay a fortune for those others. I have a telescoping tower so lowering it to change out a rotator is no big deal. I left the SDX on the tower when I moved and bought the S a few years later but I've never had one go bad. Only gripe is I wish the clamps were stronger as I periodically bust the soft metal clamps, even while trying to be careful.

W9DJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2015 12:44 Send this review to a friend
Reliable Rotor  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this rotor up for 16 years without any maintenance. It doesn't have a big job -- the antenna it turns is a relatively small tribander -- Force 12 C3SS with a thrust bearing. However, we do have significant winds and ice. It has never missed a beat. The only issue I've had is that sometimes during very heavy rains the directional sending rheostat gets a little weird - probably water getting into the housing. I did change out the standard control box a year or two ago for an aftermarket one with a serial port so I can do remote operation.

KM4CQG Rating: 2/5 Dec 24, 2014 14:13 Send this review to a friend
Think before U leap  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nice Looking but only worked for 2 weeks.

I did not see any negatives reviews on the Yaesu 800 Rotor anywhere. Purchased it for a Glen Martin Tower with a Thrust Bearing on top so not much stress on the Rotor. This was the new Yaesu 800 Rotor from HRO seems the S vs SDX is just the control Box. I used this with a MDS controller working from my computer. Tested it for 1 week prior to Tower install and it worked perfect. After install it worked for 1 more week nd now there is no response. I tested and sent back the MDS control Box and Cable all test good. Seems problem is in the Rotor position pot switch according to Yaesu Tech in CA. waiting till after holidays to take it down and send in for repair. I would not have bought this Rotor had I read a few bad reviews. I'm just turning a KIO Hex Beam.

KM4CQG
Ian

M0HDX Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2013 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased the G-800SA two years ago to turn my 2 element 5 band lightning bolt cubical quad up on a 60ft tower,I live on a farm 1000ft asl out in the open countryside and often get gale force winds up here 60 mph at times and the rotator is still working fine.The last heavy winds here blew parts of the roof off on some of the farm buildings but the rotator and quad stood up to it fine.The money I spent on a new G-800SA was a good investment up to now and I am very pleased.

N0UY Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2012 10:42 Send this review to a friend
Pleased  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this rotor used from a fellow ham who upgraded for the G-1000 series. It was less than a year old so I was able to save a few dollars this way. I have the rotor turning a 2 element 40 meter yagi with a 22 foot boom. It has performed excellent so far with quite a bit of use during several cw contests where I would rotate it frequently basically checking out the performance of the yagi F/B, side rejection and the like. I am very happy with the function of the controller and rotor even though it may be at the upper end of its recommended load.

I have read several reviews where issues have been experienced with the Yaesu connectors due to cable size and other factors so I did something to minimize problems if I should ever need to change systems. I installed an 8 connector terminal strip at each end of my heavy duty rotor cable. One on the tower and one in the shack. Each are housed in a weather resistant enclosure like those used by the telephone company. The one on the tower is mounted near the rotor location where it is simple to make a short pigtail from the rotor to this terminal strip. This prevents me from having to adapt the main cable if I should install a different type of rotor with its own unique connector system. This holds true at the shack end of the cable also. I have this concept in place on both of my towers where rotors are used. If you would be interested in seeing how this looks you can see the boxes in the pictures on the QRZ listing under my call that is used by this site and several others. I am seriously considering replacing my T2X on the second tower with a G-1000 series Yaesu even though it has several pretty negative reviews about product support.

KG4HUP Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2011 03:10 Send this review to a friend
WORKS GREAT  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi All,
I had mine up for 10 years when a ice storm broke the boom on the 2 element 5 band guad by lightningbolt. Had to repair with cubex spreaders and boom. Took the rotar down an took apart an greased all the bearing witch were dry. It is back in service an doing a great job an I fill it should go another 10 years then need grease. Works great. Tom Fisher KG4HUP