Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Yaesu 800S & SDX Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu 800S & SDX
Yaesu 800S & SDX Reviews: 42 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $275.
Description: 17 sq. ft. wind load rotator
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/rotator.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu 800S & SDX.

AB3CX Rating: 4/5 Jun 11, 2007 13:04 Send this review to a friend
It's OK  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
have a G-800. Turns great. About 10 months into owning it, the control box stopped accurately tracking the bearing. It cannot be adjusted back to correct the tracking, Yaesu says take it down and send it in. I made some notes so I know where it's pointed without doing that, it still turns through 450 degrees, but the control needle only turns 385 degrees, so you need your own notes to tell the exact bearing. Not worth the cost of takin git down. It was inexpensive to buy which was a plus.

NU5D Rating: 4/5 May 17, 2007 14:14 Send this review to a friend
Support  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased a G800SA a couple of years ago. Price and product are great. Had lightning strike - indicator won't track - control box from another rotor is OK - tried to buy a replacement PCB - no longer available. Tried to buy a replacement control box - not available. They DID offer to try and repair the unit - $70/hr plus shipping. Not really a complaint about repair cost. I am complaining about not being able to buy a replacement board - 3 2904 op amps - a couple of opto isolators, and a bunch of sot23 diodes - will repair myself. Steve NU5D

K2VI Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2007 17:32 Send this review to a friend
REALIABLE AND SOLID  Time owned: more than 12 months
HAD THIS ONE IN MY 50' ROHN TOWER TURNING A MOSLEY CLASSIC 33 FOR 9 YEARS WITHOUT ONE PROBLEM.iM MORE WORRIED ABOUT THE ROTOR CABLE OR CONNECTOR FAILING THAN THE G-800.DONT HESITATE TO PURCHASE ONE,ITS A KILLER ROTOR.

K3ICH Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2006 05:40 Send this review to a friend
Second Owner and STILL works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this rotor from a friend who had ZERO problems over about 5 years of service. Same with me for two more years. I think it's a very good value when compared to what has happened to Hy-Gain/MFJ. I especially like the over 360' rotation feature.

As to Yaesu warrantee, try buying a car off the lot and telling the dealer a year later that there's a problem. Get real!!

K9IUQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2006 06:32 Send this review to a friend
4 years and Still ticking  Time owned: more than 12 months
Anyone who buys new Equipment and doesn't at least check it out deserves the "too bad response"
Have had my G-800DXA for 4 years, NO problems, its accurate and reliable. Also compared to Hy-Gain offerings it is priced reasonable. Buy one - but don't wait a year before trying it out - thats not too smart.

K3ASK Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2005 19:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Rotor  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Excellent Rotor, well worth it. Has gone through a lot of wind storms and survived well. Would recommend to anyone wanting a fairly inexpensive rotor.

N2UOG Rating: 4/5 Nov 13, 2005 12:23 Send this review to a friend
800S Good Rotor  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my 800S back in 1993 when I was first licensed and I've been using it ever since, It's gone through some cold winters when I used to live on Long Island and a couple of hot summers now that im in Florida. The only problem I've experienced is that sometimes the direction indicator will sometimes do a "little Dance" back and forth on the controler and a couple of times the needle swung all the way to the left to the bottom (South) position when first turned on, The beam was pointed North but never turned. I shut the controler off then turned it on again and the needle returned to the correct (North)position where the beam was pointed in the first place, I wonder if anyone else has had this problem if yes, I'd sure like to hear from you and what you found out, I kinda suspect that one of the little copper threads of connecting wire might be touching another pin on the rotor connection and that might be causing this problem. I'd like to hear from anyone with their comments on this issue. please contact me at N2UOG@AOL.COM Thanks

K3ROJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2005 16:09 Send this review to a friend
Confused at first  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my new 800SA last month (August 2005) from HRO along with 60 feet of 6 conductor rotor wire. What a surprise I had when the plug only had 4 pins to wire up. HRO wasn't aware of this change but luckily they took the expensive wire back. I then went to Home depot and got some #16 4 wire cable. This rotor will only be used for setting up in the field or while roving so the cable exterior doesn't matter. A small inverter from Wal Mart was used to operate the rotor from the vehicle batteries. It worked perfectly during the ARRL VHF/UHF contest turning three beams including a 5 element 6 meter beam. Once set up the calibrated dial can be accurately set when the 6 digit grid section is known.

KB5PQL Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2005 07:50 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
It've had the G-800S since 1998 and have never had a problem with it. Last year I took the HF beam down and installed the rotator back up in my new QTH and learned a few things about the rotator. First, after about 7 years of service the bearings were dry. I cleaned and repacked the bearings with grease and it was good-to-go. This rotator is well built on the inside. I also learned that the harsh south texas weather will corrode aluminum quickly. However, stripping down the lose paint and repainting it just gave it at least another 10 years of service. This new QTH doesn't allow for towers so the rotator was mast mounted and is now moving a 2m SSB antenna. This rotator is so versitle you can use it in heavy duty or light duty applications. If you're thinking about a rotator I give it a 5. Yaesu rotators are nice and do the job.

NK6R Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2005 13:13 Send this review to a friend
Very Impressed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have always use the "usual" (H-4/T-twist) rotors and service them regularly. The past few years all the antenna weight has been supported by the thrust bearing, so the the only [work] the rotor had to do was turn the Mosley TA-53M+40M add-on, mounted on a 32'x3" boom, with two Force-12 40M elements as reflector and director, plus a 15' boom supporting a 6-el 6M quad w/ 10el 2M (inside the 6M elements) on an old windsurfing mast, and about 14' above the HF hy-brid. I have at the LEAST 12 SQFT up there! About a month ago I fell into a deal to get this 800DXA for a few pennies. Reluctant to change out what was "working", I wanted the nice Yaesu control box added to the shack to go with my ICOM gear. This posting is about the excellent torgue I see capable and all the antennas, my entire array mounts to a US Tower MA-550/55' tubular crank, resting on a thrust-bearing. The winds here during storms or the Spring time can get very gusty and the Yaesu rotor moves it slow or fast like the antenna is not even connected! For the first few days I felt compelled to look out the shack window and check that the antenna did indeed move! Very quiet and effective, just the best rotor I have vere owned!!