Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Icom America Repair Help

Reviews Summary for Icom America Repair
Reviews: 100 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Icom's amateur radio and receiver repair service
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the Icom America Repair.

N2HUC Rating: 0/5 Jan 30, 2013 18:13 Send this review to a friend
You have to be kidding!  Time owned: more than 12 months
So my Icom IC-9100 has some issues with scan and AGC. I sent Ray Novak a letter with some thoughts about the problem. I thought they might address a bug issue and come up with a firmware fix. Here is the initial video documenting the problem:

I didn’t open a ticket myself, as I saw this as a design issue that needs to have a design fix, but after sending a friendly letter to Ray Novak he submitted a ticket because he took a genuine interest in my issues. Ray is a good guy trying to do the right thing. A few months later I get this e-mail from the “Technical Support Manager” that basically says “an end user” says my Uniden HP-1 scanner is most likely causing the problem. An “end user”? Really??? They are so incompetent that they take technical troubleshooting advice from some mystery “end user”? He also says they observed the AGC problem only on “very fringe” signals, but all was working normal with the IC-9100. Does that look like “very fringe signals” in the video to you? Those are strong signals! Hey, don’t take my word for it, but read it for yourself!

“Greetings,

Concerning your 9100 Scan observations that you expressed concern over, both Icom America (3 testers) in Bellevue Washington and Home Company in Osaka have come up with the same results independently after much testing.

1. Noise Blanker operation is typical. No problems found.
2. When the radio is actively scanning VHF and HF, and an HF signal comes in, the scan worked normally. AGC was fully functional and we didn't get intermittent audio UNLESS the signal was very fringe.

There appears to be no issue with the radio tested at Icom Japan nor the one in the Icom America Ham Shack.

We have been contacted by an end user though who states HP-1 scanner is extremely spurious and caused similar issues with his radio. Removing that unit cured his issue.

Sincerely,
Gregg Hake
Icom Technical Support Manager”

What do these incompetent idiots take me for? A fool? I have had scanners since the early 70’s and know what leaky IF signals are, and let me tell you, the Uniden is VERY tight and does NOT have ANY leaks I can detect anywhere in the spectrum. I actually have plenty of professional experience with interference tracking and product development. Icom needs to be careful dealing with experienced customers. The BS doesn’t fly well with hams that know better.

Well guess what? The same problem exists with no HP-1 scanner anywhere nearby. And guess what else? The IC-9100 at AES DOES THE SAME THING! Check it out:

Just look at how the IC-9100 behaves in the video. If scan stops on one band and the other is still scanning, the STRONG SSB signal chops up from a total lack of AGC. If scan stops on both bands, AGC works normal on SSB signals. How can my scanner cause that? Did they offer to look at my radio, which was still under warranty at that time? No! So, basically they blew me off and waited until just after my warranty expired to send me that bogus lame resolution letter.

I think this clearly defines what the problem is with Icom repair in Bellevue. Complete denial and gross incompetence. No interest in doing the right thing to solve the problem. Icom, you really need to address the service problem. Blow out that manager and his whole team! All these people here telling horror stories can’t all be wrong. Clean house and hire competent technical people who really are dedicated to take care of the customer.

I’m a customer who spends many thousands of dollars on Icom equipment (maybe not much longer), supports the Icom D-STAR system, and grows the user base by promoting D-STAR. I give really good reviews when the equipment or service is worthy of it, and offer suggestions and useful feedback to help improve current and future products. You don’t support me, so why should I support you? Apparently, the “technical support” people are too proud and don’t have the decency to really address the issues, but totally blow you off if their pea brains can’t figure it out...or they screwed up and won’t admit it.

If I have a technical issue, like I did with my IC-7000, I will send it to Matt at SAR Technical Services Inc. in Michigan. There is a guy who knows what he is doing. Tops at customer service, and fast. That is why his rating is so high and Icom in Bellevue is so low. Stay away from Icom Bellevue! Pretty pathetic for factory service. Icom Bellevue repair gets a big fat 0 out of 5 from me.

K3DQB Rating: 0/5 Jan 19, 2013 10:25 Send this review to a friend
Awful Experience  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently developed a problem with my 12 year old ICOM 706 MKIIG transceiver. After doing some research on-line I found that I most likely had a PLL problem. Before sending it in, I made sure that I tried the radio over a period of a week to determine if I was dealing with an intermittent problem. The radio was in hard failure mode so off to ICOM Bellevue it went. A week or so later, I received an e-mail from ICOM indicating that they could find nothing wrong with my radio and were in the process of returning it. Of course, they charged me for labor. I included my credit card number on the repair sheet I sent with the radio. Several days later, a representative from ICOM contacted me to tell me that my credit card was no good and that I should call my bank. I thought this sounded fishy becuase I had been using my credit card daily with other vendors with no issues. ICOM agreed to run my credit card again and I heard nothing from them after this incident. Thinking that everything was OK, I was awaiting the arrival of my radio. I even received a FEDEX tracking number. About six days later, I received a call from ICOM statingt that my credit card did not work and that I should call my bank. As the phone call progressed, I mentioned if the three digit code on the back of the credit card was necessary to complete the transaction. I gave the code to the rep and guess what? THAT WAS THE PROBLEM. Is this the first time ICOM ever encountered this problem? Have they ever shipped a radio back to a customer before?? This is poor customer service to say the least. I finally received my radio back, hooked it up to my DC supply and antenna and experienced my original problem. I contacted ICOM to tell them that my radio was not fixed. They were not receptive to hearing about it. All they would tell me is what they could read on the service report. I continue to run the radio to see if the problem is intermittent but so far, the radio has not worked.

Bottom line is that I am done with ICOM. Never again will I buy or recommend any of their products to anyone. All I am left with is a ICOM 706 brick and a repair bill that I have nothing to show for. I have been a HAM for 41 years now and have NEVER experiences anything like this from an equipment vendor.

N4EEB Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2012 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Two for Two  Time owned: more than 12 months
Last year the WA Service Center repaired an IC-7000 for me and turned it around very quickly. Recently, they handled a IC-7600 repair for me that was due to a lightening induced voltage surge. Customer service by Mary and the service techs were top notch. I don't have any complaints with this shop.

WB4DX Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2012 03:56 Send this review to a friend
Great experience  Time owned: more than 12 months
Sent the 706 mkiig in almost out of warranty, it was back in a week working great.
Thanks!

HFHAM2 Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2012 13:40 Send this review to a friend
A Positive Experience  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bellevue Washington Repair Center.

I printed off the repair request form from the Icom Website, filled it in and sent my HF transceiver off to Icom for repair. Soon after, I received a receipt acknowledgement from them.

A day or two later I received a brief description of the problem they'd found, the repair required to fix it and a cost estimate.

I called the 'phone number and spoke to a lady who took my authorization for the repair and my credit card number; she also asked if I would like the radio to be signed for on receipt or just left at the door.

A day or two later, I received another email telling me that the transceiver had been repaired and shipped (together with a tracking number).

All very quick and easy. The repaired radio is working fine, the radio is in the same (like new) cosmetic condition I sent it in and the cost was what I consider reasonable.

No complaints whatsoever.

N4ECW Rating: 1/5 Jul 23, 2012 12:53 Send this review to a friend
Poor Repair / Quality Assurance  Time owned: more than 12 months
After less than normal use on a late model ICOM 756ProIII, one final went out. (The display had intermittent white-out problems from the beginning.)

After six weeks and forty five days and $476, ICOM America Repair in Bellevue, WA returned the transceiver as "fully repaired."

Within two weeks the unit locked in transmit mode. Even a CPU reset wouldn't unhang the transmitter. Now it's back to Bellevue for another try at "fully repaired."

The 756ProIII is a backup transceiver bought new and sits beside an ICOM 7700 which is the primary unit in my shack.

It is getting to the point that I am seriously considering replacing the ICOMs with Yaesu equipment. The repair service couldn't be any worse.

Get it right ICOM -- your repair service ratings don't match your equipment ratings.

VE4NSA Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2012 06:50 Send this review to a friend
ICOM Bellevue, WA SUPER  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Mailed in my IC-9100. Fixed 2m PA, reseated UT-121, checked radio out, all under warranty. They forgot to ship back my original boxes and power cord and used more expensive (faster) return services. Voiced my concern and they fully refunded the shipping difference and mailed the empty boxes with power cord all within the same week. Absolutely outstanding customer service.

Yes, will use them again and continue to buy Icom products. Love my IC-9100.

Stefan, VE4NSA

K5EER Rating: 2/5 Nov 11, 2011 08:58 Send this review to a friend
Repair not satisfactory.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a 746 Pro since 2004 and have loved the radio until the dreaded no output power hit. It was sent to ICOM and it took about 3months to get it back. They fixed problems i didn't even know I had and i wonder how I was using it. They replaced a 10 key board that they said had a broken connector and know I have it back and buttons for Moni and Home are stuck and do not work. If you move the radio it goes crazy changing frequencies... After about $476.00 i am not happy at all but I also don't want to wait for another 3 months for them to re-due it if even they will.The radio also appears to have been dropped.

WV4I Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2011 07:49 Send this review to a friend
IC-7000 repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
IC-7000 showed high SWR all HF/50 bands. Bought new, and had used for roughly 2 years to reasonable antennas, and with LDG AT-200 Pro tuner. Sent radio to Icom repair in Bellevue. From what I can tell, was looked at within couple days of arriving there, got phone call with estimate, was fixed promptly (replace 2 diodes in SWR sense circuit), and returned working 100% again. While at it, shows alignment and functional test performed. About $90 total. So in this case, Icom service in Bellevue was 100% satisfactory. Ops now check normal 100%.

My guess is that getting a radio fixed by factory service center is far more likely to have a positive outcome if a problem seen before. Guessing lightning strikes, etc., are more hit and miss, but should either be properly repaired, tested, prior to return to customer, or simply say not economical to repair. Damage and pry marks sound like some third party amateur got involved? Subcontractor?

W9VER Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2011 17:16 Send this review to a friend
Good turnaround.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Except for the price, cost my $150 all together to send my radio across the country(7096mkIII)

It had that common "will not turn on" condition. The contractor was "W7JV" Work was needed in the PLL board, probably under that pad that adhesive eats up the circuit boards there....I also had a performance check done. Out of warranty repair and since this radio is discontinued, I'm stoked to have it working again.

Overall I'm happy, called service several times, and got a good answer every time.