Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Icom America Repair Help

Reviews Summary for Icom America Repair
Reviews: 100 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Icom's amateur radio and receiver repair service
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the Icom America Repair.

NC0B Rating: 0/5 Aug 12, 2011 22:51 Send this review to a friend
Use MTS instead  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you own an out-of-warranty Icom radio, send it to Malcom Technical Support. http://www.angelfire.com/biz2/mts/
I will never send another radio to Icom service. A 4KL was sent in with 9 documented problems. Only one of the 9 was fixed. I bought an IC-275H from a ham who said it used to blow fuses, but Icom repaired it with with new finals, and he had the paperwork. Within a month it was blowing the 20 amp fuses again, and I stupidly sent it to Bellevue. The finals were replaced for the 2nd time for something under $300. That "repair" lasted all of three months, and pop went the fuses again. Back it went to Icom, and they replaced the finals for the 3rd time. I refused to pay for the repair, and told them something else was wrong with the rig. When I got the rig back I sent it to Scott Malcom. He found a bad diode in the bias circuit, and charged me something like $30. It has now been working perfectly for 5 years. Finally I had an R9000 that had a problem with the band scope above 30 MHz. If there was a strong signal on the scope, tuning the radio would make it null out about 30 dB on some frequencies. The problem could be duplicated 100% of the time. It went to Icom twice, and each time they said there was no problem observed. The band scope on my other R9000 works perfectly, so it is not a general problem with the radio. Scott also fixed my IC-765 for a reasonable price. Nuff said.

N3ETA Rating: 0/5 Jun 28, 2011 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Not even under Warranty  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had such bad luck with Icom service in Bellevue Washington that I don't think I will ever buy another piece of Icom equipment, New or used.
My latest experience involves an Icom 756 ProIII. This was a great radio before it took a static discharge through the connected antenna. Taking out the transmit and auto tuner functions.
Since I live in central Ca. Bellevue Wa. was the closest repair facility and I unknowingly sent the ProIII to them for repair.
After paying about $90.00 to insure and ship the radio to them and paying a little over $245.00 for repair and uninsured return freight. I set the radio back up in the exact same setting it was in before repair. No new accessories or antennas everything as it was. The first thing I noticed was the receive audio was distorted on closer investigation I also found that the front bezel around the monitor had some unfamiliar dings and marks on it, same with the case, also the display had a different hue to the colors.(Not sure how they managed that one) I'm beginning to think some other parts may have been swapped out, although I'm not sure why they would do that. Maybe they dropped it or had some other major problem with it while on the bench. I contacted Icom in Bellevue and after several call Dan returned my call and assured me that the radio was working fine and was in the same shape as it was received. but if I still thought there was a problem I could spend another $90.00 (Unlike Icom I won't ship something the value of the ProIII without insurance) and ship it back. Not sure that the problem wasn't atmospheric conditions I foolishly did nothing and got used to the inferior audio. Time passed and the repair warranty ran out and then I got the chance to use a friends ProIII and the difference became apparent.....Oh well not much I could do at this point.
Next came field day. I got out my Heil Pro Set Plus headset and low and behold another problem became apparent. I no longer had enough mic gain to drive the Pro Set Plus (Not a problem before the repairs) After a couple of more calls and a wait, I talked to (you guessed it) Dan again. I explained the problem and Dan explained to me that as long as I could get any ALC reading at all that the radio was functioning as it should.(Oh great. This guy's one of there Techs! Wonderful) I tried to explain that I had access to several other ProIIIs and they worked as mine used to. (pre Bellevue Wa.) to no avail.
So now it has to go out to Burghardts repair. Who I'm assured by many other hams can get my ProIII back to it's original working condition.
So you might as well learn from my mistakes!
If you just have to buy a new Icom (I wouldn't) or you have one already. Do not under any circumstances! (Even if its under warranty!) Send it to Icom for Service. Believe me, you won't be happy. Cut your losses and send it to a third party repair center. I doubt anyone can do a worse job than Icom America. They may build them well in Japan but they can't work on them in the USA
Ron Genovesi

KC3WX Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2011 14:25 Send this review to a friend
PW-1 Repair  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sent my PW-1 amp in for service/overhaul in mid January 11. Icom called me within 2 days of receipt and had it repaired within 1 week. During the repairs, they found an additional issue not spotted during the initial estimate of repair. They called me and walked me through the issue and cost of repair. Overall, repair cost was reasonable and return time was excellent. Shipping the beast cost almost as much as the repair (not Icom's issue) but in the end, well worth it. The amp is back in service and operating 100% I would trust them to work on my other Icom gear if needed.

AD8B Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2011 13:33 Send this review to a friend
Good experience  Time owned: more than 12 months
I experienced a clear explanation of the estimate, an informative follow-up note about the work done, reasonable changes, and a return shipment one week after they received my PRO3.

N7WX Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2010 15:18 Send this review to a friend
IC-7800  Time owned: more than 12 months
Icom in Bellevue, Washington went overboard to fix my 6 year old IC-7800..Was keeping me up-dated through the repair..Only took them 3 days, and saved us a special trip to pick it up..Just great service..

K2FOX Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2010 05:23 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent in one of my 706MKIIG's for reoair, it would not power on. Turns out it was a bad trace on the circuit board, caused by corrosion form some sort of adhesive pad. I was charged one hour of labor, and the turn around was two weeks. Communication was very good also.

KJ4AMH Rating: 0/5 Sep 29, 2010 05:34 Send this review to a friend
BEWARE !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a very bad experience with Icom America service in Bellvue Washington, VERY BAD !

W2FBS Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2010 18:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
Always had a good experience with Icom Service. Seems to me that the gentleman with low output might check his antenna or cable connections. High SWR will cut back your output power and that's a good thing!

KU5Q Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2010 17:53 Send this review to a friend
Suspect........  Time owned: more than 12 months
As far as ordering parts for my Icom gear, and getting clarification on some things in their product service manuals, I've had good experience with Icom America Technical Staff.

However.......

I've never sent anything to Icom for repair. Never had to. I would if I had a problem with Icom gear under warranty. All my used equipment, and equipment out of warranty I maintain myself. As semi-retired from over 30 years in Avionics Service, no reason not to. With access to much test equipment of my own, and from many associates repair labs with most anything I could need to work on my own gear, as long as I'm physically able, I will continue to work on my own gear. I enjoy it, and it keeps skills at a decent level.

I thought "hams" knew enough basic electronics to at least be able to accomplish simple service on their equipment. And, at the very least, know enough basics about how their own gear works to be able to troubleshoot and know whether the gear really has a performance problem, or not. It's not that way after reading some of the razing comments about Icom America Repair, and others.

Think about it and "soul search" to find who's really "incompetant" (sic).

Take some pride in yourself and learn how your equipment is supposed to work, and how to properly maintain, and operate it. Spend less time criticizing others for something you should know how to do yourself as a "ham".

KU5Q

N3RWC Rating: 0/5 Apr 2, 2010 15:20 Send this review to a friend
Incompetant  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I sent an IC-718 to be checked because the power output on SSB was low. Roughly 50 watts. They returned the radio saying that the ALC had been tampered with and that the radio was in fact outputing 150 watts. They stated they had adjusted to factory specs. The radio had never been tampered with, and had never been abused. It had only been used on 20M SSB.

I received the radio in the same condition I sent it to them for; low output power. This should have been corrected under warranty, but instead, they didn't correct the problem and billed me for and hour of labor @ $84 an hour.

I will never buy another new Icom product, and will never send another piece of equipment to Bellview WA to be repaired.