Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron RS-12A Help

Reviews Summary for Astron RS-12A
Astron RS-12A Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Continuous Duty (Amps): 9 ICS (Amps): 12
More info: http://www.astroncorp.com

You can write your own review of the Astron RS-12A.

W0EAJ Rating: 4/5 Jul 11, 2012 06:40 Send this review to a friend
Pretty Good, but with QC items  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've always liked the ASTRON p/s. Except for a couple I've fixed, they're anvil-solid and reliable. Yesterday, I picked up an RS-12A for a commercial application, and when I opened it to add the special output cord, I noticed they've gone to nearly ALL pop-rivets. The xfmr was wobbling around, as the PR's WERE NOT TIGHT. I had to drill out 2 of 'em and replace with hardware as the excess spacing was making a mechanical hum from the xfmr to the chassis - loud. Also, the binding post nuts were LOOSE. Kinda poor QC, I think - not what I've come to expect from them.

AB0KD Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2011 13:23 Send this review to a friend
Problem free operation  Time owned: more than 12 months
Problem free since 1982 when purchase for use with an IC-22U. It is the main supply for the 22U and since the mid 2000s an FT-817 and occasionally a TH-D7A and TM-D700A.

W6TH Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2007 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Awfully great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Yes, thought I would say awfully great as the RS 12A is a great performer as I have two of them. Works great with my Icom IC V8000 with full 65 watts output. I also have others including the RS 20M. All have the 10K resistor modification for battery loaf and protects the LM723 voltage regulator. Should any need repair, they are easy to repair and a surplus of parts along with page after page of repair information.

WN7L Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2007 16:14 Send this review to a friend
Can't beat it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have operated my RS-12A since 1975. Do they ever give up the ghost? I have used it to power 2 meter rigs for much of the time I have owned it. I expect my Astron VS-35M to last just as long, but I won't be able to verify the outcome since it is in its first year of operation and I am in my 65th.

KA2RVO Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2006 12:32 Send this review to a friend
20 years old and still working  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's over 20 years old, does it's thing and never gives me any trouble.

K5YC Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2004 22:46 Send this review to a friend
BUILD LIKE A TANK!  Time owned: more than 12 months
have been using one now for 12 years. No trouble.
Just sits there and does its thing. Don't ever
worry if it will work or not. I placed a small
muffin fan behind it to stay cool, but really
not needed. I run a CB, police scanner, and other items on the supply. Tried other brands
but for the best use Astron.

WR2W Rating: 4/5 May 18, 2003 16:44 Send this review to a friend
A Solid Good Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the RS-12A for my Cobra 148-NW-ST CB radio with not problems. I heard that, hi hi, but I still have non-ham friends I talk to on CB. The only thing I don't like is the plastic screw type power cord terminals. They should be checked for tightness once in awhile as they seem to loosen probably from the slight PS vibration. They are hard to hand tighten because they are mounted soo close to the heat fins on the rear. To use a pliers would probably break them.