Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | High Sierra Sidekick Help

Reviews Summary for High Sierra Sidekick
High Sierra Sidekick Reviews: 81 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $$400
Description: The smallest HF motorized antenna.
More info: http://www.cq73.com

You can write your own review of the High Sierra Sidekick.

N7ZM Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2010 17:44 Send this review to a friend
Best Mobile I have had  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am still amazed at my little Sidekick antenna. I bought one of Jim's original Protocols when he first went into production. This antenna is still amazing to me. I went from his HS-1500 to a Sidekick and to me the added convenience of it's smaller size and handling was well worth the purchase. Have had this for many years without any problems and will continue using it for many more. High Sierra sure did a FB job on this one, keep up the good work Jim!

N5DLM Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2010 17:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I struggled with a ATAS-120A for a year. I decided to try the Sidekick and I was not disapointed. It works great and I always get reports that it does sound lake a mobil!!

2E1RDX Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2010 12:43 Send this review to a friend
excellent antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the Sidekick on a triple mag on the car roof and use a 9ft whip in place of the 3ft whip when operating static Mobile this tunes 80m to 12m
I worked WH2X today on 15m and he was 5/9 genuine signal also Z21BC, A71CT, A41KJ,W7IEW and KW7Y both Washington state all on 17m with the Sidekick and a TS-570S couldn't ask for more very happy I bought it 325 new here in the UK is a lot of money but it's money well spent I am having a ball
rgds Ian

AH6TA Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2010 18:39 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value and performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Did a lot of research before deciding on this antenna. The car is small (90 Camry) and the size was appropriate. I needed all band coverage except for 2 meters, for which I have a separate Wilson. I'm glad I did it. Jim at Heath Tech was exceptionally helpful. I've got a Yaesu FT-857D, and High Sierra's controller works perfectly with the radio. Tuning is "sharp" but easy and only takes a few seconds. My first QSO on the Hawaiian 40 meter net produced excellent reports; my second QSO was a bit later...to New Zealand. I'm using the High Sierra tri-mag mount, which I think makes a difference as I'm getting a good ground. My only suggestion is the controller pigtail at the antenna should be a few inches longer, so that if you're using a mag mount on the trunk, the butt connector isn't out in the weather. Overall a great value and outstanding performance. Very well built.

KJ4DKT Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2009 12:00 Send this review to a friend
BETTER THAN I IMAGINED  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Put the s/k on the roof of my extended cab on a 3mag mount. My ffirst contact on 20m was to virgin islands from Pensacola, Florida. Clear as glass. Now, i have a 62in. Wilson 1000 whip on a spring. this made a big difference. With the 3ft. whip i had no trouble talking to S. Dakota and Wash. state. Maine. Canada and all points between. This antenna talks. Biloxi, Miss. is having an antenna shootout this summer. BE THERE!!!!!

WC0R Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2009 19:25 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the sidekick installed high on the lift gate of my'98 4Runner. I bought the BestRF controller and it works through the tune button on my IC-7000. I have not analyzed the performance with an analyzer, but I have had no trouble working east and west coast stations on 20m from the roads around my home in Boulder, CO. I still have a lot to learn and will be working other bands as I gain more experience. I would definitely check out K0BG web site and spend some time grounding your vehicle as recommended. Had some questions for High Sierra and got prompt responses.

KI6FQR Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2009 12:28 Send this review to a friend
Perfect Match  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have 2009 Dodge Hemi Challenger but I wanted HF in my sports car without modifying the car. I chose a sidekick but I did make some changes. I knew the aluminum base was weak and I needed a longer stinger. So I attached the screwdriver to a MFJ tri mag mount with a 3/8 x 24 stud and placed it on the trunk deck after applying a lot of wax! Then I changed the stinger to a 62 inch Wilson 1000 CB stinger I had. I did this because it is long, light and very very flexible! Low stress on the mount. Then I ran a ground strap to the inside of the trunk. Now my car has the battery in the trunk which is very Ham friendly! So I placed my 200 watt Kenwood TS-480HX below the rug and hooked directly to the battery. Then I grounded the body of the Radio and the Strap from the mount to the same place the car battery grounds directly to the frame! Nice! Final I ran the control wires to the center dash and the job was done. Performance is out of this world S-0 to S-1 noise level on 80 meters and full 10 meter to 80 meter performance. This radio is loud and quiet!. So thats it in ending I will say three words. Grounding, Grounding and more Grounding.Be good to your car electronics. I learned that at Engineers college at U. C. Berkeley

Greg

K2ID Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2009 12:16 Send this review to a friend
Buy it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the SideKick for two years and have heard comments ranging from disbelief that I was using a mobile to one old timer telling me that I was the best sounding mobile he every heard and he had a lot of years on the air. I do not even have it mounted well as it is mounted in the middle of the rear door on my van. I sometimes think I do better with it than my base antenna. Get one and you will not have any regrets. No need to go crazy thinking about which one to buy. There is a reason why there are more High Sierra antennas out there than many other popular brands combined. Buy it!

KA5QNS Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2008 16:12 Send this review to a friend
Even better with 102" whip!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Just tried a 102" whip with the Sidekick. I purchased the whip from my local Radio Shack for about 25 bucks. My gosh after replacing the the 36" whip with the 102" this thing gets better sig reports on ALL bands and I can hear MUCH better. 102" is very tall (top of Sidekick is at 5 feet above pavement)so I may need to tie the tip like the army hummer guys do when underway. This is a very fine antenna for the money. The materials and workmanship are top notch. I guess bigger is better!

N7ZM Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2008 15:00 Send this review to a friend
Still Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
After five years, still great antenna and performs without any problems. Using a tri mag mount with the BetteRF tune control. Even with all the snow & ice in Northern Nevada, it keeps on working. Have never had to clean it's coil or take apart. Jim's idea of a stainless spring instead of finger stock sure makes a difference. Would I buy it again, you betcha ! I have had 3 others before this one and this has been the best, so why change? For a small antenna with bigger action, the High Sierra Sidekick is the answer.