Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - 6M/VHF/UHF+ | Mirage B-310-G Help

Reviews Summary for Mirage B-310-G
Mirage B-310-G Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $199
Description: 144-148Mhz 100watt VHF amplifier
More info: http://www.mirageamp.com/mirageamp/products.php?prodid=B-310-G

You can write your own review of the Mirage B-310-G.

VE6AGE Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2014 16:51 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: months
I just got it today and already I like it. Now, if you live in CANADA and you order from AES Las Vegas or even the other stores, make you you demand to get your item shipped via USPS and not UPS as you will be charged an extra $76.00 for the amp. Too bad I should have made that request as this amp is now surely not worth the money I spent for it. The funny thing is, I paid already AES a shipping fee for it. For what? I don't know. Maybe someone should refund me the shipping fee that they charged me. No more ordering from them if they do not refund me the shipping fee. But, hey the amp is great.

KB0RDL Rating: 2/5 Oct 25, 2012 06:27 Send this review to a friend
Great while it worked  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this about a year ago to talk on repeaters and simplex otherwise behond my reach and it worked great. I put 5 watts in and got neary a hundred out. I used it almost every night for an hour or two. I would say it had abouy 500 hours of use before it failed.

What happened is that when I would turn it on after having turned my Yaesu 1802 on to the customary 5 watts output my output power failed to go to 100 watts and in fact went down to maybe 2 or 3 watts. When I turned the amplifier off but left the radio on 5 watts the signal went up to 5 watts and worked fine at that level. The radio works fine at other radio wattages too: 10, 25 and 55, but not with the amplifier hooked up and on. Having the B-310-G on was robbing power, not adding it. It has a very strong dampening effect, almost like a short or near-short.

While this was happening I noticed that my power supply was pulling about 9 amps but putting only a watt or two to the antenna. Previously, whereas when the B-310-G was working right I would usualy pull about 16 or 17 at 100 watts output. Something is lugging the output down seriously.

The fan is working and I've cleaned some cat hair off of it but there wasn't much. Heat shouldn't kill it before it has time to get hot anyway and this happens immediately. The fan is working but only when UI transmit. I also have another fan blowing on it all the time.

Does anyone have any idea what may be going on here? I'd sure like to know, otherwise I'll send it back for survice.

W9WZJ Rating: 4/5 Jan 31, 2011 00:30 Send this review to a friend
Great little amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
Pre-amp is the best I have ever seen on a brick.

200mW netted about 35w out. 8w in for 105w out.

HUGE fan on bottom. Will never over heat.

W0ACE Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2007 12:46 Send this review to a friend
GREAT DEAL!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I used this amp on FM and SSB and it works great. No problems ever encountered. I used it on a 2/440 vertical with about 6db gain, and a 11 element Cushcraft, and a 5 element Cushcraft dual band beam all with great results. My SWR is 1.3:1 on the highest of the 3 antennas, other 2 being 1:1 per my MFJ-259.

It would get warm after several minutes of key down, but it has a built in fan that is very quiet and effective.

The preamp works good, I noticed it does help to cut some intermod when I would turn it on. Guess it mainly drops the out of bands signals some.

I sold mine only to buy either a 160 or 300 watt Mirage. Very happy with it all around, and would purchase again if I find a deal on one at a hamfest or somewhere. 73's w0ace Chris

KX8V Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2006 09:29 Send this review to a friend
Works great!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This amp workes great. I get 110 watts out with 6 wats drive. The preamp is not real effective but it will give about one s unit of gain. The amp is very sensitive to SWR. But when it is matched to the antenna it works very well.

Vic
KX8V

DCCANC Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2005 05:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great little amp that works like a charm. Output power is as advertised but operates a little on the warm side during long QSO so I have placed a cooling fan on top of the unit for improved heat dissipation. Decent preamp and very good build quality.

N2KI Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2005 04:57 Send this review to a friend
Great for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
The amp has been operational for about 3 years now. Being used on my DXCluster. Relatively problem free. One thing you do have to watch out for is stray RF. It can hang up the amp and show the SWR light. I have never been able to trace this to anything other than possible RF. Other than a noisy relay its a pretty decent piece.

K4MSG Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2004 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Great little amp!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this amp about 18 months ago to use with a Ten-Tec 1210 2m transverter and am now using it with my IC-706MkIIG (power reduced to minimum on the 706). The amp has always worked great, no problems, and the receive preamp is excellent and makes a BIG difference on weak signals. I've always used this amp in the shack so I cannot judge its ruggedness under mobile use, but it seems to be very well built and I would guess it works reliably when mobile. This amplifier fills the niche left vacant for a while when the old Mirage B108 went out of production.
An excellent buy and very reasonably priced.

KI5DR Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2003 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performance for the price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had mine for several months, and it's been ROCK SOLID. I used it for the June 2003 VHF contest as ROVER http://www.ki5dr.com/Junevhf2003/default.htm
and it performed nicely. I use it coupled to my IC-706MkIIg. While the 706 puts out 50 watts at MAX power, by dialing down to 5 watts, and driving the B-310G to 100w+, my 706 just loafs along at low power and lets the Mirage do all the work.

Running FM it has decidedly improved my signal, allowing 100+ mile contacts with little effort using a 5/8w mag mount.

The Preamp works well, but introduces a lot of noise as well, so I tend to rely on the 706 Preamp, and only use the 310G preamp when all else fails.

It's not quite the power output of the B-1016G, but it's also MUCH less expensive for the difference in power output - $400 vs. $150.

W1ZOO Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2003 14:55 Send this review to a friend
NICE PERFORMER !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Output measured at over 100 watts using several meters ! It has always performed very well with no relay chatter. I use it on C.W. / S.S.B. using the FT-817 as a driver. It certainly has my stamp of approval !