Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Diamond SX-200 Pwr/SWR Meter Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond SX-200 Pwr/SWR Meter
Diamond SX-200 Pwr/SWR Meter Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $50
Description: 1.8-200 MHz, 200/20/5 Watt settings.

You can write your own review of the Diamond SX-200 Pwr/SWR Meter.

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2007 03:35 Send this review to a friend
Best value  Time owned: months
Using this one for some weeks now I am really very satisfied with the value for the money. It is accurate in the low power range according to my WM-2. The finish is nice and I am going to add the SX-100 or SX-1000 for the higher frequencies and higher power (if ever needed...). Price is about 65 Euro.

KK4DW Rating: 3/5 Jan 6, 2007 07:08 Send this review to a friend
MSRP Correction  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just an addendum to my previous review. The current price of a Diamond SX-200 at AES is $94.99 + tax. I don't think anyone is selling a new in box one for anything close to $50.

KK4DW Rating: 4/5 Jan 5, 2007 15:49 Send this review to a friend
Does the job adequately  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am forced to echo the common fault of the lamp burning out prematurely. If you ever experience this, as with a previous writer, I suggest opening up the case, carefully prying out the meter assembly, remove the front clear cover, cut the lamp leads rather than try to unsolder them. I used a Radio Shack PN 276-316, a 5 mm, 20 ma, 3.7V blue LED with a rating of 2600 mcd, not because I was enchanted by blue but because of the chintzy selection of LED's they now have cut back to, it was the highest mcd rating available. (Radio Shack inventory of small components is a joke anymore). I had a power cube that put out right at 13 Volts so I calculated a 1/2 W, 470 Ohm resistor would work
fine. I just soldered in the LED, flat side (cathode) to the right post and then clipped the external DC red power lead off the socket and put the 470 Ohm resistor in series with the lead rather than try and unsolder anything from the little PC board. I have a fear of PC boards and soldering irons from many a bad experience. In summation, the makers of this rice box should be ashamed for ever using an incandescent bulb, secondly ashamed for hard wiring it inside the meter movement, thirdly ashamed of not putting a bulb rated for say 18V or so in there that would never burn out in a lifetime or better, an LED. Best yet, putting a spare bulb taped inside the box, and making the socket clip in or twist in or screw in from the front without ever even having to take the box cover off. Geeeez, guys, don't you ever talk to techs who have to fix things like this for a living ??? I guess not.

SM5ZBK Rating: 4/5 Dec 24, 2006 10:14 Send this review to a friend
Usefull and honest  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my very first SWE/power meter. I bought it because the specifications were better and more suitable for me than some other meters, and it was on sale.
The equipment I use it with is a Yaesu FT-817 (max 5W output) so the choise of a meter not for QRO power was obvious.
The accuracy of the meter is totaly acceptable. On AM I think it's very accurate. When mesuaring SSB PEP the manual states that the shown value is about 70-90 % lower than the real value. My calculatons using a signal source with known power showed the statment to be correct. With that in mind it's pretty easy to get a PEP reading to.
Measuring SWR requires a little fiddeling with the controlls. First you have to set the meter in CAL mode and trim it with the big cal knob. Then you switch to SWR mode and can read SWR. When operationg on the same band and with the same power level you only need to do it once. But when changeing band it is best to calibrate again, when changeing power it is required.
The meter scale is pretty easy to read and has dangerous SWR levels marked in read. There is a meter lamp but I haven't tried it.
The manual is good and contains everything you need to know. I think it is very good that the formula for calculating SWR is in the manual. The manual is also very honest when it comes to providing information about cases when the reading might be inaccurate.

I give this device a 4 because there is nothing with it that is really wrong. The accuracy is enough for me and when opperating it right it is easy to read and use. The manul is also good.
One thing to remeber when thinking of buying this meter is that it is not cross neddle so there is some fiddeling with buttons to measure SWR when chageing band. If this is not acceptabel then you should get a cross neddle meter instead. Otherwise, for the right price it's a good meter.

KI4MCW Rating: 3/5 Nov 8, 2006 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Not so hot on VHF  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I like my SX-200 aesthetically - it seems well-constructed, and looks great alongside the rest of my gear. On my particular unit, though, the reverse-power sensor (diode?) doesn't work so well. This leads to wildly inaccurate readings on 2 meters, including reverse power readings greater than the output of my rig (!), and SWR readings well beyond infinity even after calibration.

Forward power readings seem fine. In fact, I was able to _calculate_ SWR by measuring forward power, reversing the coax connections on the back, and measuring forward power again (which is now really reverse power), and using the standard formula. The reverse power reading problem may also not be an issue at HF frequencies - I don't have an HF rig to test with yet, so I'll reserve judgement there.

It looks like others have had good experiences with their SX-200's on VHF, but for myself I'd have to say that this is not the best tool for testing a 2m rig.

N4NYY Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2006 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Update on light bulb  Time owned: more than 12 months
My meter is still working flawlessly. However, I decided to replace the light bulb, even though it still works. Since most burn out, I replaced with with a super bright LED. Now, it's even better and brighter than before!

Please note, if you take the meter case apart, you'll notice that the meter element is closed. It is closed by what appears to be some scotch tape material. I removed it, opened the meter element, and had access to the lamp. Be care you don't hit the needle. I replaced it with an 3mm LED. I used a 3,000 mcd LED. Use at least that brightness, or higher if possible. A 560 ohm resistor is all that is needed as a drop resistor on 13.8 VDC. And you are on your way. This meter is works great!

KK7UN Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2006 19:39 Send this review to a friend
Worth The Price...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this to replace a troublesome RadioShack meter I've had for a couple years now, which I had trouble with from the very first day I bought it. With this meter capable of covering all of the HF bands I work, plus my 2 meter rig, I had to give it a try. In the first couple of hours I had it, I tuned up a new 2 meter mobile antenna, and verified that when I use my antenna tuner on the HF Bands, when I get maximum sound, I also have low SWR. When using the RadioShack SWR Meter, maximum sound did NOT equal low SWR on it, but usually showed way over in the red zone. When I would use the tuner to where the RadioShack meter showed low SWR, I could only hear the strong stations, and rarely did anyone hear me.

I feel much better now, and look forward to a long partnership with my new Diamond SX-200.

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2005 17:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellent device!!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this item for a fews years (about 5) & NO trouble at all with it...Mostly use on my 2-meter rigs (0-75 watts)...
The device readout all types of power/SWR measurements...For the price I paid for it, sure gives me my monies worth

N4GLS Rating: 4/5 Sep 11, 2005 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Nice Piece  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love the look and accuracy of the meter but the light bulb burned out after a short time. I used a single LED bulb to replace it. Works great, brighter than the original bulb

N4NYY Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2005 07:42 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent for the price. I paid $90. The peak measurements are great, as are the avg measurements. As far as the backlight going out, I neither use it nor would I care if the light burnt out. I just care how it measures.