Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Diamond SX-100 Pwr/SWR Meter Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond SX-100 Pwr/SWR Meter
Diamond SX-100 Pwr/SWR Meter Reviews: 9 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $144.95
Description: 1.6-60 MHz, 3KW/300/30 Watt settings.

You can write your own review of the Diamond SX-100 Pwr/SWR Meter.

K9ZF Rating: 4/5 Apr 4, 2014 08:23 Send this review to a friend
Good, but not great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think a 3.0 rating for this meter is a bit low. I've owned one for ~10 years. It works fine, but has a few issues.

Accuracy? Mine isn't terrible. I would say it stays within 10% and this is close enough for what I do.

The connectors on the back are terrible. Replace them. Don't use this meter until the connectors have been changed, or you are likely to let the smoke out of something. The connectors are the panel mount SO239's with the threaded center conductor. This is important because you need the threads and nuts to make the mechanical connection. If not for this flaw, I would have been OK with a 5 rating, but this is an obvious design flaw.

Panel light? Yeah well... Mine blew almost immediately. I never bothered to replace it...

Dan

K9ZF
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el
The once and future K9ZF /R no budget Rover
***QRP-l #1269
Check out the Rover Resource Page at:

List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books
Ask me how to join the Indiana Ham Mailing list!

VK5AGC Rating: 1/5 May 9, 2013 19:05 Send this review to a friend
summary  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can only classify this intrument as a 'kiddie toy'...I never take it seriouly.Setting it up is a nightmare, only the producer would perhaps be able to do this.No proper handy solid meters have been made in OZ for yonks, which is sad, so we put up with US rubbish...Buy one at you peril.

ZL1PO Rating: 1/5 Dec 26, 2012 21:27 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Part2  Time owned: more than 12 months
Update on my previous post back in 2004 under my old ZL1UST call.

Having had this meter for well over 18 years I can now say it is not so awesome anymore.
The dial lamp flickers and or goes dim and or want work.As mentioned by others and in my first post the SO239 sockets are an utter abomination.
With an indicated high SWR I assumed the coaxial feed line and or antenna were at fault.After inspection of the antenna and replacing the coaxial cable I then realized the SO239 fault had returned to haunt me :-(

I do not and would not recommend this meter.

Have a Happy 2013 New Year!

73 de ZL1PO

KB0GU Rating: 3/5 Mar 1, 2010 01:37 Send this review to a friend
Looks good but falls short.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I rate this meter as only OK, for the aforementioned reasons on connector issues, the necessity to fully understand what the peak reading really means, and my own added beef; faulty panel lamps. After replacing the lamps twice, I swapped out the filament bulbs for white LED's. Now I do not think I will have to replace them again. Poor accuracy has already been addressed. The unit is compact, looks nice on the desk and serves its intended purpose here. Especially after having burned out, via overheated pick up torroids in a pair of identical Yasue meters that cost more. Now on to a Vectronics PM30 review.

M3JPE Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2005 05:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Diamond SX-100 SWR & Power Meter is an excellent meter with all the functions needed for day to day use on a fixed station.

Not recommended for continuous swapping in and out of stations as the centre connectors are easily bent and there are limitations on ABSOLUTE accuracy, but 99.9% of the time this is not an issue.

Note: This meter measures from 3W (not 20W as stated in some places).

AI8H Rating: 3/5 Jul 2, 2005 16:53 Send this review to a friend
OK - But be Careful  Time owned: months
The sockets on the back are goofy: as another reviewer noted, they need attention if even rarely excercised. There is absolutely no tensioning surrounding the center pins of the connectors. Mine was remedied by placing a small, circular 'keeper' spring around each center pin supported by a crafted piece of Teflon over the center of each below the springs.

The PEP readings are off a good bit (approximately 25 percent on the low side) and not easily adjustable. The SWR adjustment is very limited in range - mine is close, but not 'spot on" and also low.

Get one for about $40 in used, working condition in good cosmetic shape and it is well worth it.

This is a "Secondary" meter at best, but useful.

NL7ZM Rating: 1/5 Jul 2, 2005 12:36 Send this review to a friend
Peak Reading  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The front page of the instructions states.
The peak reading only indicates 70% to 90% of the actual peak value. I find this to be unacceptable.
I returned it for refund, the dealer did not question my reasons. This is something you don't find out until you buy. To the credit of the manufacture they admit the instrument is not accurate.

N4DEK Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2004 19:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Meter  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using these meters for quite some time and they have always served me well. Very nice meter that works great.

WR2W Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2003 20:14 Send this review to a friend
Looks & Performs Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
This meter has a large lighted meter, has good front panel lay-out, looks great, and performs great. I compaired my SX-200 on the same radio with the same accuracy. Complements my station set-up very nicely....